Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I hate driving, all of it just bores me to tears. I couldn't be without it though and Mrs Slick certainly wouldn't.

Slick

Guru
I was quite happy to consider ditching the car, and almost did a couple of times (my wife has a car) but I sustained a serious injury whilst cycling to work, which has meant I need to drive now as either cycling or public transport will cause me too much back pain (badly fractured spine). I still cycle, but no longer near traffic as my back wouldn't take another accident, and my employers would be non-too impressed (I was off work 8 months).

Shoot happens sometimes, and cycling into a City Centre has major challenges - I'd been hit quite a few times in the last 5 years by poor drivers, and this was the end.
Nightmare. I must admit, I have considered giving up commuting before something similar happens to me. Other times I give myself a shake until the next time some driver wants the space I'm already occupying. It's certainly not worth 8 months off work.

Alan O

Über Member
I ditched the only car I've ever had back in 1975 and have never regretted it. I've always worked within walking or cycling distance of home (I currently work at home on computer stuff, so I'm in the fortunate position of working at a not-even-having-to-get-out-of-bed distance), though it's been tough on past occasions when having to cycle through driving winter rain to get to work.

Shopping? Just get Asco/Tescadidl/whoever to deliver.

Alan

Slick

Guru
Not really. They promise freedom and deliver dependency.
We're back to Nicola Sturgeon again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ditched the car completely when it was still only at the concept stage. I am now 61, have never driven, and never will.

As long as you don't choose to live somewhere without reasonable public transport and beyond sensible cycling range of where you need to get to, then you do not need a car. Wanting one is a different matter ...

I accept that I often can't be spontaneous. Things need planning. For example, I want to organise a forum ride taking in Great Dun Fell but it will probably involve at least 2 trains for me each way. I am spending quite a lot of time looking for the best fares and minimising connections.

As a non-driver you need to adopt a different mindset. My niece offered to drive down to pick me up from the station on arriving in Coventry for a family gathering. I told her that I could walk it in 25 minutes and it was dry, so no need to use the car. She thinks like a driver, I live like a non-driver.

I know people who have given up owning cars, but who hire them a few times a year when driving seems the best option. I know others who gave up driving altogether because modern traffic levels were stressing them out.

sarahale

Über Member
Sold my car 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I do however have a boyfriend who can drive and I think we would struggle if we both didn't drive.

subaqua

What’s the point
Mine only gets used once in a blue moon. sits outside the house quietly losing value. am i bovvered. no not one bit.

when i need to use it its there. like travelling to plymouth for a dive trip weekend. that is really not doable on public transport and the logistics of trying to hire a car to do it is just bonkers. i tried it twice to see if i could.

it was also handy when we needed to do the 1am dash to N wales when wifes dad was at deaths door. that was a non starter by bike or train

Top Bottom