Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I don't drive at the moment and I enjoy going everywhere I need to around town by bike- work, shops, friend's houses etc. However, I would consider driving in the future because long journeys are not very practical on a bike. I am all for longer rides and cycle touring, but sometimes a car is just better. For example I recently considered cycling to a friend's wedding, but it would have taken 4 days and cost 150 quid in B & B fees, not to mention other expenses. Or I could just have a 5-hour car journey. If I had the time and fitness I would love to cycle everywhere, but because I don't have the time to allow days/weeks to get anywhere, it's not practical.

Tin Pot

Guru
It was a Hillman Hunter!

You reinforce my point.

IMG_7910.JPG

Tin Pot

Guru
For example I recently considered cycling to a friend's wedding, but it would have taken 4 days and cost 150 quid in B & B fees, not to mention other expenses. Or I could just have a 5-hour car journey. If I had the time and fitness I would love to cycle everywhere, but because I don't have the time to allow days/weeks to get anywhere, it's not practical.

HTFU*

It's about a five hour drive from my place the Manchester, 230 miles - I could do that in a day.

* ;)

I got rid of my car and use a bike to get around the city. Get a backup bike, a bike trailer and join a car club. My 2 wheel flatbed trailer can haul large shopping and gardening loads. The car club is useful for jobs the bike can't do.
I would suggest one urban utility bike with dynamo lighting, disc brakes, rack and mudguards, and one other style of bike eg folding, cx, road, mtb that you can play on for fun and use as backup.

screenman

Legendary Member
Be interesting to see a breakdown of the car less people, something like, single, not working, retired, living rural, town, city etc.

Me, I live rural, married, working and have lots of varied interests that mean me being a in places a fair distance apart each day.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I had no car until I got married. Now it spends most of its life depreciating quietly in its parking space (a Christiania trike is a big help here) but is occasionally indispensable for journeys such as "get the family to Christmas with parents in rural Worcestershire"

subaqua

What’s the point
I had no car until I got married. Now it spends most of its life depreciating quietly in its parking space (a Christiania trike is a big help here) but is occasionally indispensable for journeys such as "get the family to Christmas with parents in rural Worcestershire"
This .

Effyb4

Veteran
Be interesting to see a breakdown of the car less people, something like, single, not working, retired, living rural, town, city etc.

Me, I live rural, married, working and have lots of varied interests that mean me being a in places a fair distance apart each day.

I'm married. I have 2 grown children and 1 still at school (all living at home). I live in a small town and work in the next town, 6 miles away. My husband works about 3 miles from home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom