Cycling to the airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Flight was a bit late and a few drinks in me, rebuilding the bike was ok - the biggest hassle was and still is the crudracer. Then what should've been a fifteen minute ride took forever because my Watch wasn't getting directions from my phone, and because one road was gated and locked shut at night I had to do a detour.

Other than my navigation issues, the road out of Dublin airport is easy as pie and with tonnes of space and a bus lane as mentioned above - at least it is at past 11pm on a weekday! :smile:
:okay:
I'm in Carlingford now but no time to post the journey details yet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Flight was a bit late and a few drinks in me, rebuilding the bike was ok - the biggest hassle was and still is the crudracer. Then what should've been a fifteen minute ride took forever because my Watch wasn't getting directions from my phone, and because one road was gated and locked shut at night I had to do a detour.

Other than my navigation issues, the road out of Dublin airport is easy as pie and with tonnes of space and a bus lane as mentioned above - at least it is at past 11pm on a weekday! :smile:
:okay:
I'm in Carlingford now but no time to post the journey details yet.
Late!
You still airbourne when the plane landed?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yeah so after landing late the Left Luggage had closed, so my plan to leave the bike bag (heavier than the rest of my baggage) was scuppered.

Hit the sack about 12:30, up at 06:30 and on the road at 07:00. I took the R132 to Ballybriggan, going was slow so I didn't detour and went through Julianstown up to Drogheda - not very scenic, but fairly ok roadsand little traffic my side going out from dublin at that time of day.
IMG_7371.PNG

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I was looking out for Cafes all along the way, but nothing - top tip, as you're heading up the R132 there's a big coffee shack on the right hand side. Get a coffee there as there's feck all after it or before.

Drogheda still had nothing on the roadside, Im sure I could've explored but I was way behind with a late start and a pack slowing me to a measely 20.1kph average. So I carried on to Termonfeckin.
IMG_7345.JPG

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Termonfeckin get you close to the coast but it's only heading out to Clogherhead, now on the R166, that the landscape starts to open up.

Earily quiet on a Thursday November morning, clumps of bungalows here and caravan parks there, with empty children's garden toys and swings.

I stopped to take these shots (and another on the way home he next day by car).
IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

IMG_7370.JPG

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
IMG_7372.PNG
I saw a couple of ladies and a lone cyclist on my way down the coast road toward Port and I had also noted a fair number of dogs tied to stakes in yards over the past hour, quite excited at my passing...it wasn't til I urged inland Up Church Hill that a Lassie lookalike sprang from behind a car and decided to have a go at my leg that my heart leapt.

Never been attacked by a dog whilst cycling, so I can feel some sympathy for those who post about it now :smile: Still, no harm done.

I headed through castle Bellingham back onto the R132. I'd shut down strava at Drogheda and My watch still wasn't getting directions, down to 5% battery because I had brought only one charger and used it last night on the front light :sad: so the phone was off.

I finally discovered Joes cafe!

It's just short of Dundalk on the now 100kph R132, tired and hungry it was about 11:30 and I was way short of my goal, but four euro for a bacon sandwich and a coffee was great. The bacon was...AMAZING! :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
It's a nice little downhill into Dundalk, but with time well against me I stopped and took a taxi the remaining 26km.

I had to be in a hotel room changing into the groomsmens outfit at 1, so sadly missed possibly the most scenic route - but also the most harsh as the map route looked to take me over a huge hill-cum-mountain.

But in carlingford it a was fine day!
IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7362.JPG

IMG_7368.JPG

I can highly recommend the Liberty Cafe as a B&B. Most welcoming on my arrival and a whole apartment to myself too.

And. Yes. In the morning the bacon was AMAZING!

classic33

Leg End Member
Watch for where the Guards eat at night.
Usually open all night, and good value.

There's also Gala to consider for the return trip.

Sixmile

Veteran
Hi again all, thanks for the advice so far. The madcap plan hasn't fallen apart yet.

I'm using Heathrow Terminal 5 into Dublin T1. BA.

Does anyone know if the R132 northbound is cyclable?

@Sixmile ?

Apologies!!! I'm only seeing this now. I must've missed the alert at the time.

Glad you got sorted though and Carlingford is a great spot with not much in it but that's the charm I suppose. Are you riding back or what are your plans?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Apologies!!! I'm only seeing this now. I must've missed the alert at the time.

Glad you got sorted though and Carlingford is a great spot with not much in it but that's the charm I suppose. Are you riding back or what are your plans?

Already back, haven't had time to post.

I had plenty of time to ride back the next day but pretty tired after all that and staying up until 3am so got a lift back to the airport.

Easy through checkin with the bike again, and took an Uber home after that. :smile:

Thanks for everyone's advice, it's nice to have a little adventure like this now and again and I'd highly recommend it!

classic33

Leg End Member
Already back, haven't had time to post.

I had plenty of time to ride back the next day but pretty tired after all that and staying up until 3am so got a lift back to the airport.

Easy through checkin with the bike again, and took an Uber home after that. :smile:

Thanks for everyone's advice, it's nice to have a little adventure like this now and again and I'd highly recommend it!
Meet Siobhan at Dublin or Marie at Belfast?

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought of walking through customs yelling "Hi there Siobhan, some bloke of tinternet told me to say hello! What's this huge bag on my shoulder, just a bike honest!" But somehow I held myself back ;)
You'd have been in Store in no time.

Top Bottom