Cycling to the airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I haven't decided as the final destination is equidistant - probably Belfast as I haven't been there before and pound sterling.

Thanks for the offer.

Your final destination is equidistant from both Belfast and Dublin? If so, I'd chose Dublin if you're cycling. The old Dublin road route is great for cycling as the carriageway has taken the majority of traffic away. The 10 or so miles to Belfast International Airport (which is nowhere near Belfast) is a very busy road and I wouldn't be cycling it if it could be avoided. If you are set on Belfast, you could get the train to Antrim (Translink trains allow bikes on the 1st and last carriages) and ride the back way to the airport, which is much quieter.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The 10 or so miles to Belfast International Airport (which is nowhere near Belfast) is a very busy road and I wouldn't be cycling it if it could be avoided.

The OP says he is flying from Heathrow, so if he went to Belfast he would land at Belfast City rather than Aldergrove.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have not used a plastic bag. I make my own bags out of spinnaker cloth, which is just as protective as a plastic bag. I turn the handlebars, remove the pedals, lower the seat, let the air out of the tyres if they insist, even though there is no need. I don't remove the derailler, but some do.

If you are going to bag your bike up at the airport you will need an allen key for the handlebars and the correct spanner for the pedals. HINT>>>> make sure you can get the pedals off before you leave home. I have yet to find an airport who can supply any tools to help. I saw a guy searching for a large stone at Majorca airport to use as a hammer. You don't find many large stones at Majorca airport, apparently. Also check if you have to let the air out of the tyres before you bag it as you cannot get to them once the bag is taped up and you will have to undo the whole lot again.

I have flown lots of times in Europe with bikes and have never had to box it and a couple of times have not needed to bag it either. You will find that airlines do not have a common policy when it comes to bikes. In fact you may also find that the same airline has different policies at different airports. That's not strictly true. Some staff do not know their own policies.

I had a bit of a confrontation at Begamo airport where Ryanair was not going to let me on the plane unless my bike was boxed. I had printed out their own information which at the time said it needed to be in a bag or box. I also asked the guy in charge how he thought I got the bike from Denmark to Bergamo in the first place.

I have dropped into the Ryanair office at Billund in Denmark to ask what a "Protective bike bag" is. They had no idea but "guessed" it was a bag that the bike went into. That makes my bike bags and the plastic bags ok then.

I have never had real problems flying my bikes, just a couple of niggles.

The important thing is to read their info and print it out to take with you. They do not define what a Protective bag is. My sail cloth has UV protection, that will do. If its in a secure bag it will be fine as long as you smile a lot and say Good morning to all those who think they have power over you.

But the best bit is when you get to the other end and you put your bike together, stow your bag and pedal off into a new country. It makes no difference if you are pedalling in the wrong direction, because you will. But it is so satisfying passing all those riders waiting for taxis and dragging bike boxes on wheels.

Thanks Steve, I flagged you because of your previous posts on this matter :smile:

I'm looking at BA because Aer Lingus charge extra, and BA include it. Plus smiling a lot has always worked at BA for me, (whereas smiling a lot at SleazyJet is like asking to be punched).

They say "provided they are packed in a recognised bike bag" - of course there is no definition of a recognised bike bag, but it would rule out a Tescos carrier cellotaped to the handlebars I suppose.

Sadly, I don't believe that the CTC is branded in any way, it's just a giant polythene bag you have to tape closed around the bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks Steve, I flagged you because of your previous posts on this matter :smile:

I'm looking at BA because Aer Lingus charge extra, and BA include it. Plus smiling a lot has always worked at BA for me, (whereas smiling a lot at SleazyJet is like asking to be punched).

They say "provided they are packed in a recognised bike bag" - of course there is no definition of a recognised bike bag, but it would rule out a Tescos carrier cellotaped to the handlebars I suppose.

Sadly, I don't believe that the CTC is branded in any way, it's just a giant polythene bag you have to tape closed around the bike.
Large clear plastic bag would get you through on BA. It doesn't require branding of any sort on the bag.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's not true at all. Brockley Combe brings you out right by the airport. Nice cycling around there.
We've different ideas of what's nice then! Brockley Combe uphill is a test of nerves while being buzzed by motorists travelling too fast for the bends who crash about every other month... and unless something's changed (maybe they finally made a decent cycle route from Backwell station and put a 20mph limit on Downend Road, but I doubt it), the gate on the Brockley side is authorised vehicles only, so you're still meant to use a busy bit of the A38 and deal with that undersize spiral-laned entrance roundabout.

Heathrow's much better than most airports in this regard... but does anywhere in this country approach Schiphol? You can ride around the airport, to all terminals, through it between the runways and under a runway.

U

User482

We've different ideas of what's nice then! Brockley Combe uphill is a test of nerves while being buzzed by motorists travelling too fast for the bends who crash about every other month... and unless something's changed (maybe they finally made a decent cycle route from Backwell station and put a 20mph limit on Downend Road, but I doubt it), the gate on the Brockley side is authorised vehicles only, so you're still meant to use a busy bit of the A38 and deal with that undersize spiral-laned entrance roundabout.

Heathrow's much better than most airports in this regard... but does anywhere in this country approach Schiphol? You can ride around the airport, to all terminals, through it between the runways and under a runway.
I can't say I've had any problems, in fifteen years of cycling regularly in that area.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
but does anywhere in this country approach Schiphol?
Exeter Airport - I can ride to within 100 yards of the security check: I can leave home, cycle to the airport, and be through security in about 30 minutes. :smile:

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Road goes under the runway at Leeds/Bradford.
With a cycle track in its own tunnel alongside, no less... which sadly connects to nothing at either end, with no connection to the terminal AFAICS. Very strange and almost the reverse of usual English practice: they've done the most difficult section and then seem to have given up on the easier bits!

So, any advance on Exeter? Gatwick looks to have a National Cycle Route through it, but has anyone tried it?

Top Bottom