Cycling to the airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
What about hiring on the other side?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay so maybe locking it up with a few decent locks is a possibility.

Could be one of those you can have cheap light and protection, just not all three scenarios, and unless you have Brompton, it won't go hand luggage.

I suspect so!
...Would be good if you could hire a decent bike bag at airports just for the flight.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think just considering this is brilliant, gives a new meaning to multi modal travel.
Let us know how you get on!

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Done a few searches, apparently a lot of people on CC have used the cheap ctc plastic bag without issue. E.g. @steveindenmark

Sounds like I need some tape and some Alan keys, loosen the handle bars, remove the derailleur.

Just need to see what the airline policies are Aer Lingus or British Airways.

classic33

Leg End Member
Done a few searches, apparently a lot of people on CC have used the cheap ctc plastic bag without issue. E.g. @steveindenmark

Sounds like I need some tape and some Alan keys, loosen the handle bars, remove the derailleur.

Just need to see what the airline policies are Aer Lingus or British Airways.
You could have an Aer Lingus ticket/booking, but find yourself on a third party plane.

BA & Aer Lingus have similar policies. Bike boxes on international flights. You might get away with the bike being bagged on an internal flight.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have not used a plastic bag. I make my own bags out of spinnaker cloth, which is just as protective as a plastic bag. I turn the handlebars, remove the pedals, lower the seat, let the air out of the tyres if they insist, even though there is no need. I don't remove the derailler, but some do.

If you are going to bag your bike up at the airport you will need an allen key for the handlebars and the correct spanner for the pedals. HINT>>>> make sure you can get the pedals off before you leave home. I have yet to find an airport who can supply any tools to help. I saw a guy searching for a large stone at Majorca airport to use as a hammer. You don't find many large stones at Majorca airport, apparently. Also check if you have to let the air out of the tyres before you bag it as you cannot get to them once the bag is taped up and you will have to undo the whole lot again.

I have flown lots of times in Europe with bikes and have never had to box it and a couple of times have not needed to bag it either. You will find that airlines do not have a common policy when it comes to bikes. In fact you may also find that the same airline has different policies at different airports. That's not strictly true. Some staff do not know their own policies.

I had a bit of a confrontation at Begamo airport where Ryanair was not going to let me on the plane unless my bike was boxed. I had printed out their own information which at the time said it needed to be in a bag or box. I also asked the guy in charge how he thought I got the bike from Denmark to Bergamo in the first place.

I have dropped into the Ryanair office at Billund in Denmark to ask what a "Protective bike bag" is. They had no idea but "guessed" it was a bag that the bike went into. That makes my bike bags and the plastic bags ok then.

I have never had real problems flying my bikes, just a couple of niggles.

The important thing is to read their info and print it out to take with you. They do not define what a Protective bag is. My sail cloth has UV protection, that will do. If its in a secure bag it will be fine as long as you smile a lot and say Good morning to all those who think they have power over you.

But the best bit is when you get to the other end and you put your bike together, stow your bag and pedal off into a new country. It makes no difference if you are pedalling in the wrong direction, because you will. But it is so satisfying passing all those riders waiting for taxis and dragging bike boxes on wheels.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If you are going to bag your bike up at the airport you will need an allen key for the handlebars and the correct spanner for the pedals.

And when you've done that, make sure the tools stay with the bike (taped on to the frame, for example). You don't want to get to the other end having had them confiscated from your hand baggage by an over-zealous security person.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I once cycled to the airport (can't remember if it was Gatwick or Heathrow) on my Brompton and left in left luggage. It was fine. Don't know if they can take non-folding bikes. If you didn't want to take the bike with you, maybe you could bag it @steveindenmark style and leave it in left luggage.

jay clock

Massive member
I used to cycle to Southampton airport when I lived 7km away. Lovely it was. But the description of your plans above frankly sound a little too complicated for my liking

Top Bottom