Cycling to the airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
okay this might be a step too crazy, so any quick showstoppers would be appreciated.

I have a short trip to Ireland midweek coming up and getting to the airport is a major hassle because it's rush hour and Heathrow, public transport tells me I'm looking at 1.5-2hrs going back into London and out again at best.

It's a 16 mile ride so easier and more reliable than any other mode of transport.

I have access to showers at the airport, and very little luggage.

I'll be away two days/nights.

I have an annoying 50 mile journey at the other end and I'd rather not hire a car.

Qs
1. It would be crazy to lock up the bike at Heathrow for two days, right?

2. Has anyone used the left luggage for two days to store a bike?

3. Would it be crazy to take some sort of soft case bike bag and take the bike on the flight with me?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'll take the opportunity to reply as someone who cycles to Heathrow almost daily.

1. Depends on which Terminal you fly from. You should bear in mind that you can only get to Terminals 4 & 5 by bike, as no access through the Main Tunnel into the CTA for T2 & T3 at present due to refurbishment.

2. No. But I have seen their storage, and TBH unless it's suitcase shaped I wouldn't..

3. Great plan, provided it's not cost prohibitive, and you can ride 50 miles at the other end.

Edit:- If it were me, I'd lock my bike up at the T5 North bike racks, regardless of which Terminal I were flying from, and then use the (free) HEX service to get to the Terminal I wanted.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You could get T2 or T3 on a shuttle bus from nearby hotel or long term car park though, if you go for the put it in a soft bike bag route. You're going to need to be able to carry or store the bike bag though.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Which direction are you coming to the Airport from? There is some half decent infrastructure (read shared cyclepaths) from the major approaches.

Sixmile

Veteran
What airport in Ireland are you landing at and where would you be riding to? I may be able to provide some info from this side of the pond.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Where do you live to get to Heathrow, i'm on the flightpath to/from heathrow so to speak

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/cycling has some info. At least they have info. Bristol airport doesn't. Norwich airport doesn't.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks all, the routes aren't an issue - just whether I can secure the bike at the airport or take it with me.

I've read about a cheap/light ctc bag on wiggle but it looks like it gives no protection.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
What airport in Ireland are you landing at and where would you be riding to? I may be able to provide some info from this side of the pond.

I haven't decided as the final destination is equidistant - probably Belfast as I haven't been there before and pound sterling.

Thanks for the offer.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks all, the routes aren't an issue - just whether I can secure the bike at the airport or take it with me.

I've read about a cheap/light ctc bag on wiggle but it looks like it gives no protection.
Could be one of those you can have cheap light and protection, just not all three scenarios, and unless you have Brompton, it won't go hand luggage.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Many years ago now, but I often used to leave my bike locked up for the weekend in the Central Area cycle park while I flew up to Scotland to visit the folks.

Top Bottom