Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finish what you started? :whistle:
Bloody computer locked up! A few years ago I binned having a car for about 18 months, which on the whole was fine. Shopping was a pain in the rear end, and things such as going to the tip etc etc. The end to it came when I had to cycle to work in a foot of snow one day and ended up with hypothemia - by then I had decided enough was enough. I do live 12 miles from work/civilization though

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If my 1998 Clio hadn't passed its MOT, I was all prepared to go the CoCars route (I only did 4800 miles in the car last year, and 1.5k of that was on a holiday to the Pennines), but after 174k miles and 19 years, it sailed through. I haven't done the figures this year, but last year it cost me almost exactly 25p per mile all in, so for the times when I do need it, it's not too bad, given my low mileage. I get no great pleasure out of driving, or shiny cars, so I'd not miss having one - I only drive when there really is no sensible alternative.

keithmac

Guru
We have the family car that wife uses to get to work in and do the shopping etc.

My car hasn't turned a wheel since January where it went in for MOT and got parked on the drive again..

Prefer cycling personally, York is a nightmare for traffic and I despise sitting in traffic jams.

Don't honestly think we could get by as a family without a car though.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I ditched the car a few years ago which was only a cheapo banger anyway. Didn't work out for me I found having to cycle to work 5/6 days a week in all weathers hampered my social cycling. By the time it got to Sunday I couldn't be arsed to go out. The money saved which never actually gets saved anyway just got swallowed up in day to day bills/shopping etc.

subaqua

What’s the point
Hypocrisy?

I suggest you read not just this thread but several others as well for a fuller picture . then you will see exactly what I mean.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't driven for 6 months due to broken hips and not working. I got rid of my car the other week as i only used it for work. Question. If i gave up driving for quite a while,even years,would i be able to drive competently if i started again?

U

User32269

When I lived in London I had no desire for a car. Using the bike was the best option.
I haven't driven for 6 months due to broken hips and not working. I got rid of my car the other week as i only used it for work. Question. If i gave up driving for quite a while,even years,would i be able to drive competently if i started again?
I didn't drive for over 10 years, never had any problems starting again.

Question. If i gave up driving for quite a while, even years, would I be able to drive competently if I started again?
Fwiw, based on driving perhaps once a year? No difficulty - I find no problems. But my driving style has changed. More cautious and quietly assertive. Much more deliberate. Much, much more "road aware".

It's called "transfer of skills" ... from cycling. :whistle:

Top Bottom