Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm married. I have 2 grown children and 1 still at school (all living at home). I live in a small town and work in the next town, 6 miles away. My husband works about 3 miles from home.

Do the kids have cars, how do you manage with their sports, parties,clubs etc? it would be impossible in these parts.

Effyb4

Veteran
The kids don't have cars either. They get themselves about by bus or bike. There are very few times when we feel the need for a car.

subaqua

What’s the point
Actually, Uncle Arthur, who's 102 years old, is looking a bit pasty - better keep the car.
I do hope that you don't need to get to a parent who is at deaths door at stupid o clock 250 miles away . When no public transport is available.

Or need to get to same place as the authorities are trying to steamroller a decision over safety of a vulnerable person and won't talk over the phone. ( my mum when they weren't going to section her when she should have been. Not proud I taped number plate and did crazy speeds on a near empty motorway with less than 5 miles of non 70mph roads driven at correct limit)

But you crack on hey . "Big " man

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
If I got rid of the car I would be on the dole, same as my wife would if she got rid of hers.

I think going car free for any other reason than pure financial is a lifestyle choice, which would be better suited to somebody with plenty of spare time, or a desire to stay close to home a lot of the time.

Sara_H

Guru
I went sort of car free few years ago. I say sort of because my partner has a car, but he not always here so when he's away (which is often, we have a strange lifestyle) I am car free.

TBH, it can be a bit of a pain. Despite the fact that I live in a metropolis the public transport is appalling, especially weekends and evenings. So any journey that can't be made by bike can become a bit of a chore. I also find public transport expensive.

Swings and roundabouts. Some journeys are better by bike and/or public transport. Others, sadlyare better/ cheaper by car and that won't change for the foreseeable.

Tin Pot

Guru
I do hope that you don't need to get to a parent who is at deaths door at stupid o clock 250 miles away . When no public transport is available.

Or need to get to same place as the authorities are trying to steamroller a decision over safety of a vulnerable person and won't talk over the phone. ( my mum when they weren't going to section her when she should have been. Not proud I taped number plate and did crazy speeds on a near empty motorway with less than 5 miles of non 70mph roads driven at correct limit)

But you crack on hey . "Big " man

Oh come on. Keeping a car in case someone dies is a bit funny.

Stop being so serious for a second :smile:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I think having a car is a lifestyle choice. No different to having a bike, having an iPhone, having a beard or having broadband

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh come on. Keeping a car in case someone dies is a bit funny.

Stop being so serious for a second :smile:
I am not keeping it in case somebody dies. I pointed out that it was invaluable at that point.

But if Drongo ( hah that's the spell check doing that ) wants to be stupid .

Although he does remind me of one of the eejit plods from road wars ....

Maybe those with a disability should just HTFU and not need a car. I mean they never needed one when cars didn't exist ....

Tin Pot

Guru
I am not keeping it in case somebody dies. I pointed out that it was invaluable at that point.

But if Drongo ( hah that's the spell check doing that ) wants to be stupid .

Although he does remind me of one of the eejit plods from road wars ....

Maybe those with a disability should just HTFU and not need a car. I mean they never needed one when cars didn't exist ....

His wife is disabled and has a car, he posted this earlier.

Not everyone is out to get you, sometimes we're just having a chuckle ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

We were car free for over 30 years, when me and my good lady were first together I realized we could have a car or a mortgage and our own house but we couldn't have both, I chose the house. I cycled everywhere and used public transport, lifts of friends and hire cars to get the family about, I was also driving as part of my job some of that time and would sometimes borrow the pool car for outings. In 2012 I started to drive regularly again, I'm retired now and the car doesn't get used much, I could sell it but it's convenient.

Top Bottom