Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
No doubt she keeps on buying cars until she gets the one she wants.
:laugh:

JasD

We got rid of our car four years ago for pretty much all the same reasons as the OP. We mainly used public transport for the subsequent three years, but got bikes last year. Since then there have been very few things we haven't been able to manage on the bike (taking the cats to the vet is the only thing that comes to mind). Everything else we manage to split between panniers and rucksacks and bring home that way. It's been fun, thoroughly recommended :smile:

Went down from two cars to one about three years ago. I very rarely drive now and as a family we do significantly more miles on bikes than the car.

Your cycling mileage probably distorts the average a bit :laugh:

In seriousness, riding more and more is making me happier and less stressed than using the car. Grew up in London so a car has never been the primary transport means for me. Walking and public transport initially and now cycling.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Your cycling mileage probably distorts the average a bit :laugh:

In seriousness, riding more and more is making me happier and less stressed than using the car. Grew up in London so a car has never been the primary transport means for me. Walking and public transport initially and now cycling.

True, but the missus bikes most days and the eldest lad rides everywhere.

subaqua

What’s the point
Good point. I best keep my car in case someone far away snuffs it.
What works for you doesn't work for everybody. What works for me doesn't meet requirements for others.

It's what makes us different. Like why your missus needs one.

I don't try and force the point that mine is the right one.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would need a very large change in lifestyle to go without a car, I would imagine being retired would give you more time for using public transport. Or not doing the things that a car makes a lot easier and faster to do.

I am off to Liverpool tomorrow for a couple of nights, the car will not come out of the carpark whilst I am there, but it will certainly get us there and back better than public transport could.

Top Bottom