Anyone drive a Kia?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I get to fix dents in Kia's, they are very well made. Unlike the Mazda I cannot wait to get shot of, who invented an engine that tops its oil up with diesel, or self destroys engine components.

That is the norm with a lot of euro5's to do with town driving and cleaning up emissions.

screenman

Legendary Member
That is the norm with a lot of euro5's to do with town driving and cleaning up emissions.

No town driving at all, open country roads all the time. I spend two days a week at a Mazda agent so we have gone down every avenue with the car. Every single update done etc, having to do an oil change every 4,000 is not my idea of fun.

Levo-Lon

Guru
No town driving at all, open country roads all the time. I spend two days a week at a Mazda agent so we have gone down every avenue with the car. Every single update done etc, having to do an oil change every 4,000 is not my idea of fun.

That does sound odd..
Usually down to DPF cleaning ,short journey and oil in poor condition.

But regular longer use is supposed to prevent that.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thoughts are now turning to the Qashqai, will go get a test drive in a week or two.

Or the Tiguan :whistle:

I've never driven a Kia Sportage so can't contribute to that aspect of the conversation.

I had two Peugeot 3008 over six years, the model previous to the current one. When it was time replace the second Peugeot we opted for a Qashqai which I drove for a year before retirement.

At no point in seven years, for business or personal use, did I find there wasn't enough room in either vehicle. The only exception being when I travelled to trade exhibitions and needed a rack for the bike.

I seem to recall the wheel arches on the Peugeot protruding inside more than on the Qashqai.

Both are very good cars and I would marginally come down on the side of the Qashqai if I had to make a choice. I was though driving the latest version of the Qashqai against a Peugeot which was ready for an update.

Qashqai gives a lot of bling for your money. Lots of tech to play with - some of it so irritating I turned it off!!!

I have a 17 plate Qashqai, absolutely love it , boot has a false floor which raises the load height to level with the boot lip or can be removed for bigger bulkier items , rear seat is 60/40 split so drop the small side and bikes fit easily with room for two rear passengers, I managed to fit the recumbent trike in whole without taking any wheels or anything else off.
its a 1.5 dci and a really nice drive which regularly returns 70mpg without trying,

I had the previous model Sportage when we needed something with 4wd, as soon as we didn't it went as tyres and repairs seemed to be at a premium. However, it was quite roomy and we regularly did trips away with kids and dog and bikes. Drive wise it was a bit roly with an obvious turbo but despite that not unpleasant to drive and well equipped. I believe the newer model is a lot better to drive with far less roll and better response. Don't buy a Quashqai, they're fekking ugly and every man and his dog has got one.

You're going to buy a Quashqai aren't you?

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Well after a few weeks of musing, I have booked a test drive of a....

VW Tiguan ^_^

Will see how it is, and whether it has room for a bike in the boot :whistle:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've just bought a 16 plate petrol Sportage. Traded in my 55 plate diesel model. It's the model with the satnav and reversing camera. Hope to pick it up on Friday. Drives fantastic compared to one I'm reading in, which has a vibration at 70. Been told that wobble is down to it having been only used as tow vehicle. Also lower excise duty and better mpg.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've just bought a 16 plate petrol Sportage. Traded in my 55 plate diesel model. It's the model with the satnav and reversing camera. Hope to pick it up on Friday. Drives fantastic compared to one I'm reading in, which has a vibration at 70. Been told that wobble is down to it having been only used as tow vehicle. Also lower excise duty and better mpg.

also a good indicator of the DMF on its way out, if it goes bang ! Goodbye engine and your savings

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A mate has a Kia Picanto and constantly bangs on about how good it is.
He's had a couple of reasons to use the warranty and had a totally hassle free experience too, unlike certain other manufacturers I could name.

Do check the boot size though - lots of the current crop of small SUVs have much smaller boots than you might imagine looking at the outside. A work aquaintace booked a test drive in a Range Rover Evoque but walked away on lifting the tailgate.

I know it's not usually the done thing to quote yourself, but as an update the mate with the Kia Picanto has just replaced it...with a Volvo V40!
He needed a bigger car with a growing family and much as he'd have loved to stay with Kia he just couldn't find a model in their range that fit all his requirements.

I have a Kia Venga automatic. It drives quite well and has good acceleration. It is a little bit basic inside but the seats are comfortable unlike German cars.
The seats were a deciding factor when we bought the car. We looked at a Seat at the time of purchase but bounced straight off the back seat when we tried it.
The engine and road noise is loud in the front but not in the back. The rear sets can recline and move forward and aft and also fold down. It will take a bike in the back with the front wheel out and with the seats down.
Hyundai do similar models which are more up market.

Dale 1956

Been pondering my next car and these have been mentioned as a possibility.

Looking at the Sportage model.

Want something with a slightly elevated view and big enough for holidays to cart the kitchen sink and all the dog's toys :rolleyes:
A Kia Soul has room for a bicycle I had one and use it to haul my Surly Big Dummy back in 2014!

Top Bottom