Anyone else come a cropper this morning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
GWS User33236!

I very nearly came a cropper on foot in Hebden Bridge this afternoon. I was wandering about distracted by the sight of shops wrecked by recent flooding so I didn't spot that I was walking onto a stretch of pavement covered in ice. My feet slid from under me and I almost ended up flat on my back. I somehow got my feet down first but then slipped sideways. It probably looked pretty funny but it could have resulted in a nasty fall.

I have a 100 km ride arranged with @Littgull on Sunday and more very cold temperatures are forecast between now and then. We will have to keep our eyes open for patches of ice.

sanddancer

Since I started commuting some months back I have pretty much a set kit I wear.
slight adjustments for temperature. Sometimes better choice than others.
The drop in temp after the mild weather had me searching for ideas on layers.
Today was only my 6th shift back since xmas hols and I haven't rode to work yet for one reason or another.
This morning I was awake bright and early at 05:40 with all intentions of breaking the duck with a 6am ride.
I didn't do it yesterday as I had wimped out at the driving rain and my slight farmer giles :biggrin:

Lying in bed I saw the clear star studded sky with the odd fluffy cloud and a smile crept across my mush.
I leapt out of bed and a glance out of the window dashed my hopes as I surveyed the white bed of light frozen snow. :sad:

It wasn't the temperature that pushed me back in the warm sheets or the challenge of the biting howling wind pressing me back, nor the chance of a downpour be it wet or frozen hard ,, neigh, the thought of a brisk ride in these conditions has been a weird sadistic ambition of mine but my thoughts turned to ,,,
What if I trash my bike ? :sad:
Rip my clothes ?
( well ok its pretty cheap kit )
Break a bone,,, ??? ( not the bone but all the shift allowance I would lose on the sick )
:biggrin: that's the pattern of cyclists thought in order that makes me laugh.

I've set the alarm for tomorrow. :smile:
I may still wimp out :sad:
Maybe I should dig the mtb out since I fitted new continental double fighters and might fair better than the Hutchinson equinox or giants own on my road bikes ???

This cycling is a lot more stressful than when I commuted years ago :smile:
I remember as a 18 year old apprentice my regular commute of 6 miles was a long affair one Christmas when armed with a large frozen turkey courtesy of the boss, some alcohol and food thrown down me and the final ride home of the year with crap clothes and either equally crap gloves or none at all saw me venture out in very minus temps over ice rink roads juggling a large solid cold bird.

It probably took me an hour and a half to ride home.. ride is a loose interpretation.
I remember crashing more than riding.
probably quicker and safer to walk which I may have done eventually, but I think that was the tenderest turkey I have ever eaten:biggrin:
And the most since mum had bought one and dad got given one too :biggrin:

ride safe peeps ;)

U

User33236

Operation took place at around 4pm yesterday, still a bit drowsy this morning!

Once the bone(s) were manipulate into place they found them to be stable enough to use K pins insteard of going in to fit a DVR plate. Glad the healing can now begin :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom