Anyone else come a cropper this morning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ice bike not ready yet @summerdays?
It was but although I had a niggle, I listened to the weather forecast and it seemed to imply that it was warm enough, and there wasn't any frost by my house so I believed them....

I fitted the tyres at the weekend, and managed to fit one of them in 6 mins.... I've never put a tyre on so fast in my life... I think it's a good combination of rim/tyre and the fact the bike was cold but the tyre wasn't!

U

User33236

I was just wondering if you are all riding clipped into your pedals in these conditions? I would want to keep my feet free ready to get them on the deck as quickly as possible if it was icy. Also I would wear some shoes with some grip to them.
My right foot was already unclipped as I was anticipating stopping for a car coming towards me through some parked vehicles. I didn't even get a chance to put it fully down as the front wheel went and I was down so quickly.

I doubt it would have made any difference though as my feet were sliding all over the place when I stood up.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how does this swapping wheels between bikes work? Does it not affect the meshing of the drivetrain?
Not a stupid question. The two sets of wheels I use have the same type of hub and cassette so there is minimal difference between them. Usually there isn't a problem swapping between the two but they do occasionally need a small tweak of the barrel adjuster for smooth shifting.

I have more difficulty with the brakes as the rims are from different brands and aren't quite the same width even though the markings claim they are.

OP
OP
marshmella

marshmella

Guru
Not a stupid question. The two sets of wheels I use have the same type of hub and cassette so there is minimal difference between them. Usually there isn't a problem swapping between the two but they do occasionally need a small tweak of the barrel adjuster for smooth shifting.

I have more difficulty with the brakes as the rims are from different brands and aren't quite the same width even though the markings claim they are.
Thanks Phil, i've often thought about getting a spare set of wheels clad with different tyres for such occasions.:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I posted http://www.klwnbug.co.uk/2016/01/14/tips-on-cycling-in-snow-and-ice/ yesterday. First properly hard ice of the winter here in the fens, I think. I'll put the studded tyres on at lunchtime in the hope it's warmed up a bit!

DanH

Unbeknownst to me, my 'winter bike' suffered a puncture last night.
Typical. Been using it the last two months without really needing it.
Now that the ice and frost has appeared this morn I've had to swiftly swap out my trusty knobbly-tyred front wheel for a spare 23c road wheel. Puncture repair over the weekend.
Performed admirably though...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not fell off on ice this year but i took a tumble on a pot hole, had a quick look at the bike when i got home and looks like the shifters are full of mud , so thats a fun job for the weekend as well as turning the shifters straight as they are bent inwards .

Top Bottom