Anyone else come a cropper this morning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Sleet and snow forecast here for tomorrow.
I have to cycle in as my car has broken down. Probably the cylinder head gasket.
Pissed off doesn't start to cover it!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was expecting an icy ride (now yesterday) morning, bit the forecast was wrong. Chilly, yes, icy, happily no.
Hope all is well @marshmella !

I was just wondering if you are all riding clipped into your pedals in these conditions? I would want to keep my feet free ready to get them on the deck as quickly as possible if it was icy. Also I would wear some shoes with some grip to them.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I unclipped on some icy country lanes this morning so that I could put my feet down faster if needed, and took it very steady. Nearly lost the back wheel as I turned into one lane. I'll switch back to the 700x35 CX tyres the bike came with, this evening.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
These are ready for tomorrow morning:

310056717.jpg

U

User482

We had the same issue in Bristol - rain in the night froze, making conditions very tricky this morning. I skidded on a patch of ice, turned round to warn my four year old daughter, just in time to watch her go flying. Poor lass. She got back on her bike fairly soon afterwards: I was very proud of her.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was just wondering if you are all riding clipped into your pedals in these conditions? I would want to keep my feet free ready to get them on the deck as quickly as possible if it was icy. Also I would wear some shoes with some grip to them.

I ride clipped in. If you have the skills there are some good techniques that help you keep the bike upright if it starts to go. I'm not the worlds most skillful ride, so one year when it snowed i went out and practiced them for a few hours. The key is analysing your ride ahead and being in a position to anticipate corners that might be dicey, and getting yourself in the correct gear and pedal position in readiness.

Bodhbh

Guru
Nah. I'm not trying to be smart but took the bike with the Winters on and if I hadn't I would have come off in multiple places. More likely, if I didn't have em fitted I would've taken the bus. I've risked it before when the the forecast has been borderline and come off. I don't bother anymore. There's something to be said for picking your route carefully and keeping your wits about you, but tbh I'd rather just fit the bloody ice tyres, enjoy the ride, and think about what I'm having for tea.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We had the same issue in Bristol - rain in the night froze, making conditions very tricky this morning. I skidded on a patch of ice, turned round to warn my four year old daughter, just in time to watch her go flying. Poor lass. She got back on her bike fairly soon afterwards: I was very proud of her.
Well done to your daughter, I hope she wasn't too bruised. I saw several families on the cycle path this morning taking it easy and I think one or more of the children or adults had just come off as they warned me about a patch of black ice at that point.

On the ring road path it was lethal, and lots of cyclists walking and warning each other about the next bad stretch. I was about 25 mins late for work because I had to walk so much.
image.jpeg

Top Bottom