Anyone else getting hacked off with waiting for a Canyon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy-56

Regular
Don't forget to put up some pic's and a quick review of your first impressions when it comes. :becool:
Will do Huw, sorry I missed your post....I am soo looking forward to getting it. I'm doing the sportive on the long course weekend in Tenby early July which is over your way if I'm not mistaken?

huwsparky

Über Member
Will do Huw, sorry I missed your post....I am soo looking forward to getting it. I'm doing the sportive on the long course weekend in Tenby early July which is over your way if I'm not mistaken?
Yes, not far from me. I did the route a few times last year as a few of my friends did Tenby ironman. It's a nice route with a few flats, a few hills and you'll have in all probability a nasty headwind for a part of the ride.

Check out one of our rides below. It's a single loop we done on this occasion, the right hand part of the route is repeated for a second time after returning to Tenby on the long course and ironman routes.

Check out my 68.0 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/370852372

Andy-56

Regular
Yes, not far from me. I did the route a few times last year as a few of my friends did Tenby ironman. It's a nice route with a few flats, a few hills and you'll have in all probability a nasty headwind for a part of the ride.

Check out one of our rides below. It's a single loop we done on this occasion, the right hand part of the route is repeated for a second time after returning to Tenby on the long course and ironman routes.

Check out my 68.0 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/370852372
Thanks for that, Impressive stuff on Wisemans Bridge which I've heard about.. I'm planning on doing a recce with bro who's done the course a few times. Apparently it's a bit technical, especially in the wet. He said with the Ironman they close the road to cars but for the LCW you've got the traffic to contend with and some of the descents need respecting.

huwsparky

Über Member
Yep, there's one decent that springs to mind that's a bit tricky! Think the Strava segment is called 'watch out for the wall' or similar!!! A friend of mine broke his collar bone crashing into that very wall on IMW this year, he still completed it though to be fair to him.

As for traffic it's not too bad, some areas busier than others though.
You'll enjoy the party atmosphere around Tenby for long course for sure.

Andy-56

Regular
Yep, there's one decent that springs to mind that's a bit tricky! Think the Strava segment is called 'watch out for the wall' or similar!!! A friend of mine broke his collar bone crashing into that very wall on IMW this year, he still completed it though to be fair to him.

As for traffic it's not too bad, some areas busier than others though.
You'll enjoy the party atmosphere around Tenby for long course for sure.
Sounds about right, someone my brother knows suffered a similar fate at that wall. I think the thing about the traffic is that in the Ironman you can use the whole road on some of those corners but on the LCW you don't know what's coming.
I might put the aeros on since you mentioned a headwind. I seem to remember some of the top boys use them. It'll be nice to have a bike with aeros that's still 1.5 kilos lighter than my old bike without them...

Andy-56

Regular

Rustybucket

Veteran

Andy-56

Regular
image.jpeg

Got my bike today, nice and light, even with the aero bars, and a I took a pic before I put it together properly. I just need some nice weather now.
Thumbs up for Rose and to all here who told me about them.

Penski

So my situation has deteriorated considerably since my last post which ended on a positive /forgiving note for Canyon despite the 3 months of delays. Here's the updated version:

Also made my order for a Spectral as soon as the 2016 models were announced on 18th of August. Expected delivery date was 21-28 September. I paid via bank transfer mid September.

On the 17th of September, I received a 'shortage of components' email. I contacted them, and they said they would have more information after their move to their new facility on the 5th of October. I didn't hear anything, so I contacted them again, and they said dispatch should be very soon.

On the 20th of October I received a new email apologising for the delays, explaining that their move to new premises had experienced some issues, and that their new IT system was soon to be up and running. On the 23rd of October, I received a new order confirmation that stated delivery to be week starting 28th of October. I contacted them again and they say my delivery/dispatch was imminent.

Their systems don't seem to be giving them too much information at this stage...the UK support guys (as friendly and as helpful as they are) generally just never had the information to be able to provide any decent updates.

On the 30th of October I receive a new order confirmation which states a dispatch date for January the 4th!!!!!!!!!!!! I am of course shocked, so I contact them immediately and they say that this latest update is incorrect and was sent to everybody by mistake. The following day I then receive an official email saying to disregard this order update:
Important information regarding your order
Please disregard the order confirmation you received from us yesterday. If a payment request accompanied this confirmation, please also disregard this request. In case you have already submitted payment for your order via a link (credit card, PayPal, Ideal), rest assured that your payment method will not be charged until the time at which your order ships.

During the transfer of orders from our old system into our new system we experienced critical failures. This had the unfortunate consequence of releasing over 10.000 orders that, for the most part, contained misinformation. We have already begun reworking all orders into our new system, and you will receive an accurate order confirmation from us within 2 weeks.

Since the 22nd of September we have been deeply involved in the implementation of our new SAP software system. During the course of this implementation we have encountered enormous difficulties, and we are working day and night to resolve these issues. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience we have caused you. We value you as a customer, and we are grateful for your continued understanding.

Your Canyon Crew
This message was created automatically, please do not reply.

At this point, the UK support guys...having clearly been messed around by the motherland and lack of progress, start to say that they cannot provide an accurate date at the moment, but their system will be up and running soon and should be able to do so then.

On November the 4th, I receive a 'personal message from (CEO) Roman Arnold' apologising for the delays and explaining it on the facility move and new IT system:
(Sorry Roman, I hope you don't mind me sharing your personal message)
Dear Friend,

I am writing to apologize personally to you for the delay of your order and the lack of service that we are able to provide you at this time. The level at which Canyon is currently performing could not be further from the standards we as a company, and as avid riders, strive for. Our goals are to build the best bikes in the world, and to provide our customers exceptional service. We are not delivering on these goals, and it is therefore my duty to give you a full explanation of the issues we are experiencing.

In 2013, we embarked on two large-scale projects to meet increasing global demand for Canyon bikes. These included constructing our brand new, state-of-the-art Canyon.Factory and upgrading to an enhanced, fully customised, company-wide IT infrastructure. The combined objectives we set will allow us to provide you with more flexible, faster, and fundamentally better service. Our aim is to set a new benchmark within and beyond the cycling industry. Finally, after more than two years of extensive planning, implementing, and building, our new IT infrastructure is live and we have started production in the Canyon.Factory.

Any change on this scale is bound to create difficulties. Nevertheless, the transition has not gone as well as I had hoped. Consequently, your order may unfortunately be one of many affected as we continue to come to terms with the challenge of transferring our production to a cutting-edge facility that is fully integrated with a new IT infrastructure. I am sorry for any misinformation you may have received surrounding your order. We have successfully identified all initial failures we experienced. Right now our teams are working day and night to solve them. As such, I feel confident in our estimate that you will receive an accurate order confirmation from us within the next two weeks.

The fact that the very changes that were designed to make your experience with Canyon better, yet are doing the reverse, causes me in particular great personal grief. While the general situation continues to improve every day, it could be another four to six weeks before we are performing back at the level we expect of ourselves. As much as we would like to address your queries as best we can during this time, please understand that unfortunately neither our customer service centres nor I have any additional details we can provide.

On behalf of everybody at Canyon, thank you very much for your continued patience and support. And from me, personally, thank you for your understanding.

Yours sincerely,
1eywmDo55lrzoqMRNpYPdSn3o6meWbuNEu5HBdBxHdjIPEroXJpV6elLElcdh61HpV7moXksfciVpnFIp1uObSm44EqxnXWC8q6Y4_9uGzBxeKc8bW1BvH1G=s0-d-e1-ft

Roman Arnold
Founder & CEO, Canyon Bicycles GmbH

On the 14th of November, I receive another 'update' email:

Important information regarding your order

As promised in our most recent communication, we now would like to update you on the current situation at Canyon.

Previously we informed you about our all-new IT infrastructure and the go-live of our sophisticated Canyon factory. The very nature and vast scale of these projects regrettably led to delays in our production and shipping, resulting in a lack of information and undetermined waiting times for your orders. We are now happy to report that over the past five days we have made significant progress.

In fact, many Canyon customers have already received updated and accurate shipping dates. We are also in the process of sending out hundreds of daily shipments, and well over one thousand customers are now enjoying their new Canyon bikes. We are fully aware, however, that many of you are still waiting for your orders, and for this we apologise. We are literally working around the clock to get them to you as quickly as possible.

Over the next seven to ten days more customers will receive accurate shipping dates for their orders. Please note that when you receive a payment notification this is also verification that your order is ready and standing by to ship to you.

As riders ourselves, we understand how frustrating it is to wait for a new bike or to try out exciting, new products. As said, we are working night and day to get your orders to you as fast as possible. And while our focus currently lies on maximising distribution, every employee at Canyon is working flat out to restore productivity to the high standards we expect of ourselves.

Once again, we thank you for your continued patience, understanding and support at this admittedly difficult time.

Yours,
The Canyon Crew

This message was created automatically, please do not reply.

I've given up on the MTB dream by this stage :rolleyes:. I get myself a Tacx Vortex trainer and subscribe to Zwift.

On November 20th I receive another order confirmation. This one has a stated provisional delivery of 11-15th January. I contact Canyon to enquire how much I should trust this date, and the guys tell me that this should be very accurate.

Early December I contact them again, and they say that my bike will be dispatched on the 28th of December - I contributed this improvement down to other customers cancelling their orders.

In mid December, I receive a new order confirmation with an earlier delivery date: 21-25 December. So over the Christmas period I am anticipating my dispatch email - of course nothing comes, and on the 30th of December, I contact Germany and their response is that 'the bike will be dispatched this week or the next'. Fair enough I think..probably some delays due to the festive period, which surely should be excused, though the incompetence of their systems being unable to compensate for this does come to mind...

There is construction work ongoing at my house so I need the shipping information, and due to lots of people reporting their bikes arriving with no warning, I contact Canyon again on the 8th of January (Germany again). Unfortunately I am shocked at the response: 'Your bike has been delayed with arrival ETA being MARCH'. I push for a reason and they say it is 'frame parts'. I ask to speak to a senior manager and they refuse saying he can't provide any extra information. I ask for a contact in senior management where I can complain to and they provide me with the UK Canyon email address.

I ask for the contact details of their CEO Roman, but he says they are not allowed to pass on this information. I ask if they can do anything, and his responds he has made changes in the system in the hopes that it will be sent sooner, but no promises.

So, what do I do? What would you do? Now I've had about 15 different delivery promises and 5 months of delays if their latest one is accurate.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Penski Demand an immediate refund from the CEO and his secretary. Give them 5 days for the refund and tell them that you will start a small claims agaignst their UK office. This is what I had to do in the end and I finally recieved my refund.

The email addresses you need are:

Friederike Dietzmann FDietzmann@canyon.com The secretary that the CEO will pass you to.
Roman Arnold RArnold@canyon.com The CEO.

Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to PM me if you need further tips on how I had to 'work with them'.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I also have the email and mobile number of their UK supervisor (and also his Hotmail account). I got £80 compensation from them for all the hassle (inc my card being pre-authorised for £18k). And similar stories to the above about conflicting emails

AndyJ14

So my situation has deteriorated considerably since my last post which ended on a positive /forgiving note for Canyon despite the 3 months of delays. Here's the updated version...............

I think you should be commended for letting your order ride for so long. And Brit's wonder why we get a reputation for loving to stand in queues.

Cancel the order, call Rose, place new order. Sleep easy !

Top Bottom