Anyone else getting hacked off with waiting for a Canyon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy-56

Regular
Thanks Andy, I'm glad you are getting on well with your but because of the weather I have only put it on the turbo and because the frame is smaller I don't sit as far back as I am used to and I've been recruiting new muscles by the looks and the morning after my first turbo session my quads and hamstrings were sore. I've booked a bike fit for Monday so I can at least be in the best position whilst I get used the bike. She is lovely though.
My last bike which us now my winter bike is a Boardman Road Comp and the frame is on the larger side 55.5 cm where as the Rose is 53cm. I'm 5'9 1/2 with an inseam of 83cm and the bike doesn't feel too small.
I might need to change the stem or raise the handle bars perhaps. Just a few teething probs.

AndyJ14

My last bike which us now my winter bike is a Boardman Road Comp and the frame is on the larger side 55.5 cm where as the Rose is 53cm. I'm 5'9 1/2 with an inseam of 83cm and the bike doesn't feel too small.

Interesting. I'm 5'10, 83cm inside leg and I purchased a 57cm frame. This is a perfect fit for me. I did consider the 55cm for a few days but then I compared the geometry against my previous bike and discovered 57 was virtually identical. Finlay also persuaded me 57 was the correct size from his experience and the way Rose measure their frames.

Andy-56

Regular
Interesting. I'm 5'10, 83cm inside leg and I purchased a 57cm frame. This is a perfect fit for me. I did consider the 55cm for a few days but then I compared the geometry against my previous bike and discovered 57 was virtually identical. Finlay also persuaded me 57 was the correct size from his experience and the way Rose measure their frames.
I rang Rose today and they assured me that 57cm would be too large for me. I'll await the results of the bike fit but I'm feeling better than I was earlier anyway.. A few people have also said since that 57cm tends to be a large frame...hey ho we'll see

AndyJ14

I rang Rose today and they assured me that 57cm would be too large for me. I'll await the results of the bike fit but I'm feeling better than I was earlier anyway.. A few people have also said since that 57cm tends to be a large frame...hey ho we'll see

I see that Rose have changed their frame size calculator online and made it a lot simpler. It used to act like most online configurators and ask for multiple parameters, now it simply asks for inside leg only.
  • If you enter 77-80cm inseam it tells you 53cm frame
  • If you enter 81-83cm inseam it tells you 55cm frame
  • If you enter 84cm inseam it tells you 57cm frame

So you can see that we are boardering on the line between 55 and 57 and that's exactly what I discovered when I was ordering mine. So I called Finlay and asked him (UK Rep), he stated "57". Finlay also explained that due to the way Rose measure their frames 57 is the same as many other manufacturers 56. However I still wasn't sure.

So I got the frame measurements for the my 56 Specialized (which was perfect for me) and compared to the Rose 3100 in 57. They were almost identical and that made the decision for me. Ordered 57 and it was perfect.

Having said this many top-tier riders prefer a small frame. Eg Cav. So you can definitely ride smaller frames without issue if that's the way you prefer. It's less comfortable, but looks "pro" with bars low and seat high. Probably easier to get a pro aero position with a smaller frame size, but my 3100 is more of an endurance bike than a pro racer, so the slightly more relaxed position suits well.

Last edited:

Andy-56

Regular
I see that Rose have changed their frame size calculator online and made it a lot simpler. It used to act like most online configurators and ask for multiple parameters, now it simply asks for inside leg only.

So you can see that we are boardering on the line between 55 and 57 and that's exactly what I discovered when I was ordering mine. So I called Finlay and asked him (UK Rep), he stated "57". Finlay also explained that due to the way Rose measure their frames 57 is the same as many other manufacturers 56. However I still wasn't sure.

So I got the frame measurements for the my 56 Specialized (which was perfect for me) and compared to the Rose 3100 in 57. They were almost identical and that made the decision for me. Ordered 57 and it was perfect.

Having said this many top-tier riders prefer a small frame. Eg Cav. So you can definitely ride smaller frames without issue if that's the way you prefer. It's less comfortable, but looks "pro" with bars low and seat high. Probably easier to get a pro aero position with a smaller frame size, but my 3100 is more of an endurance bike than a pro racer, so the slightly more relaxed position suits well.
Interesting Andy, thanks for explaining that. As long as I can get the necessary power to the pedals I'll deal with the position as it is the results and speed that I want. Having said that, I've currently got my saddle as far back as it will go and I feel I want it further back in order to impart maximum power but I don't know whether that is just because I've become used to my current position. I will find out Monday at the bike fit I guess. I hope I don't have to end up exchanging the bike with Rose but apparently I hear they will oblige if required... ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I I hope I don't have to end up exchanging the bike with Rose but apparently I hear they will oblige if required... ?

Rose say you can examine the bike 'as you would in a shop'.

That means you can 'build' it - not much work there - and 'ride' it on your lounge carpet.

Enough to check fit for most riders, but if you are really fussy you should buy from a shop which does test rides.

Although my view is a short test ride on the road is of limited extra value, because I've found I always need to tinker with the saddle and/or bar position after a few proper rides.

No complaints from me about that, the retailer can't be expected to let you test the bike for a few weeks which you would need to do to really establish fit.

Andy-56

Regular

After my fit today...all is good with my 53cm frame. I need a slightly shorter stem of 90mm instead of the 100mm on there currently. Apart from that I'm good to go.
Roll on a Rosey summer :smile:

huwsparky

Über Member
Rose (Germany) and Rose (UK) will tell you a different size unfortunately. Finlay told me that at 5ft 8inch 83cm inseem that if be either a 55cm or 57cm depending on how relaxed i'd like the bike. Rose (Germany) tell me I'm 100% a 53cm. They said I definitely don't want a bigger bike as I have a proportionately short torso so I may end up having to put a very short stem on a 55cm as I have a short reach compared to my inseem.

I'm pretty sure I could get a good fit on both as i have sat on a55cm but my current giant is 54cm and they are renowned for being on the large side so I'm inclined to go with Germany and follow their advice and go for the 53cm.

Nice to hear your findings after the fit today @Andy-56. Always nice to know your well fitted to the bike.

Andy-56

Regular
Thanks Huw, I would fit both 53 & 55 as well apparently, but my current bike is a more racy position and because I am very flexible it means it works for me, that was key. 57 is far too big a frame for you and me surely... so I'm not sure what they are saying there..!
I hope it works out well for you whichever you choose.

Andy-56

Regular
After my fit today...all is good with my 53cm frame. I need a slightly shorter stem of 90mm instead of the 100mm on there currently. Apart from that I'm good to go.
Roll on a Rosey summer :smile:
So I emailed Rose Bikes yesterday afternoon about needing a shorter stem and I just received received an 'item despatched' email this morning ...it's on it's way already..I really can't fault the service,

AndyJ14

So I emailed Rose Bikes yesterday afternoon about needing a shorter stem and I just received received an 'item despatched' email this morning ...it's on it's way already..I really can't fault the service,

Great service indeed and excellent news on the fitting. I found the service in general from Rose to be so efficient you'd think they were German ^_^

Top Bottom