Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack the lad

I have a 1978 Carlton Pro-Am 12. Lovely bike to ride, and still original. Not sure whether to restore it - the paintwork is pretty tatty now, but it is such a lovely subtle pale pearlescent blue I would hate it if the paint shop didn't recreate it exactly. I've been put off by a friend who had a Bianchi restored by Bob Jacksons who didn't get the Celeste paint colour right at all. Might follow up the chap in Maltby and see what he says.

I wish I had seen this thread last week. I was in Rotherham on Monday!

I had a Corsair tourer too, but gave that away last year.

Hi to you all & in particular to blacksheep.The place to go/enquire is :- C&G Finishes,274,Smithdown Road,Liverpool.Merseyside.L15 5AH. tel :-0151-734-3088 (ask for Gerry Williams)
You will not be disappointed,indeed you will be guaranteed one of the best jobs around if not the best and at sensible money, all done to original spec' (white headstock & seat tube panel)with transfers.They have been in Liverpool doing high quality work from back in the 60's when frames were Stove Enamelled.They will sort out any Chrome Work if required.If you go onto RetroBike and look at Readers Road Bikes & For Sale & Wanted look for posts by :-cipolini,there is a restored Carlton Stadium for sale,paint work etc by C&G Liverpool.
Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
My roadie is an old carlton that my dad bought while he was still at school in the 60's, just wondering if anyone else has a carlton at all?

from the days before Raleigh took them over :biggrin:

while we're at it, anyone know exactly what mine is and can point me in the right direction of transfers for it, I'd like to re-paint it
pbpic1271615.jpg

SP_A0005%231.jpg

built up

Hallie is a 1960's Carlton, can't quite remember what i was told she is, case de primes or something and i'm aware i've mutilated her.
she's orange for want of a better colour but i'd like to re paint her to look a bit more original.
she's got a silver rack and black grip tape, she's retained her cotted cranks and i learnt to build wheels to put 27 inch wheels on (the ones fitted were shot and not the originals) she's also got a deore rear mech as its what was in my spares box.

if anyone actually knows what colours she should be and what decals should be on her i'd be very glad to know (pm me please)

might start a new thread to find out actually.

Its a Carlton Criterium dating from around 1969. Worth saving too.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I've an entirely original Carlton Pro Am for about 1980.

It even has the original mudguards & wheels.

Since I've just about finished my other 'projects'. I'll soon be turning my attentions to the Carlton.

All it really needs, is a damn good clean - and then, to be used.

However, both front and rear wheels have broken spokes; should I (to keep it 'original') have the wheels re-built, or should I get some 'better' wheels second hand - such as Mavic Open Sport/Pro ?

The current wheels (700c) look nothing special; I'm not sure whether they are worth re-building - what would you do ?

Attachments

• carlton.jpg
    carlton.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 423

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have a 1978 Carlton Pro-Am 12. Lovely bike to ride, and still original.

That's very interesting !

I'd mentally classified it as a sort of poor man's Dawes Galaxy, rather more a tourer than a pure racer.

I've never been on my Pro Am.

What wheels do you have on yours ?

davehann

my carlton got folded in half in a head on with a car

but the insurance got me a nice new genesis :-)

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Its a Carlton Criterium dating from around 1969. Worth saving too.

I'm not sure it is, the photos I can find of the criterium seem to have 'Carlton' spelt out down the downtube for the 1968 year,

the paint scheme has more in common with the e-bay link posted for the Carlton corse de primes

thanks for all your help people, will have a look into getting it re-sprayed by the place recommended earlier.

stevevw

Guru
I have a couple too. late 50's / Early 60's Franco D'Italia which is in storage awaiting restoration and this Corsa.
Carltoncorsa-1.jpg

I am looking to pass this one on as I doubt I will ever get round to restoring it. Only the frame and fork i'm afraid. So any of you that want to collect you are welcome to it as long as you promise to not turn it in to a Hipster mobile.

curzons246

Veteran
Hi Steve,
i already have a Carlton Continental - I want to restore the frame but dont want to disrupt my riding so your frame could be just what i'm looking for - what size is the frame and whereabouts are you?

Top Bottom