Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilespargiter

Veteran
That Corsair of yours is identical to mine, albeit with a smaller frame Red rose. Beautiful pictures to - saved me having to photograph mine to record the decals, hope you don't mind?
It is my favourite bike and does many miles a year over these Welsh hills and beyond. It has a hard life with me and I often get told I should get a mountain bike. My usuall reply is that it goes a lot further a lot more easily over a lot more mountains than I ride my Mtb. bike over.
I shall have to have it re-enamelled before long, but shall probably have the decals done by hand by a truck sign writer.
IMG_20180622_171014.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
For a while I've been thinking of getting an old steel bike, as a project for winter. Reading this thread over the last few days has got me reminiscing about my 'younger' years. In the 70s my dad had a Carlton & as soon as I was tall enough, I would always ask to ride it. Loved it & was far better than anything that was 'mine' as a kid. After a bit of googling it turns out he had a Carlton Kermesse, not that grand really, had 501 tubing, but rode really well. Doesn't seem to be too many about at the moment, so considering other Carltons & maybe off to view one this week if it's still available.

Here's a smart looking Kermesse :becool:
file.jpg

The 501 Kermesse didn't come out til mid 80s I think. Your dad's being from the 70s was probably in 531 and a jolly nice bike (the 501 framed kermesse is a very nice bike too). Unless you're mistaken about what decade you grew up in? :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The 501 Kermesse didn't come out til mid 80s I think. Your dad's being from the 70s was probably in 531 and a jolly nice bike (the 501 framed kermesse is a very nice bike too). Unless you're mistaken about what decade you grew up in? :smile:

I wish I was 10 years younger lol, Had a look online recently & the only colour scheme match was the Kermesse, & I thought I read it was 501 tubing :whistle: Wish he'd not sold it on, but it would probably be too small for me nowadays

midlife

Guru
The Kermesse of the 70's looked a million dollars, Blue with chrome forks :smile:. Tru well tubing in the early 70's as it was the cheaper brother to the Equipe which had 531main tubes. Disappeared for a few years but the name re appeared several years later in 501, frame design with oversize seat stay caps..chrome forks included

$_86.jpg

The Kermesse of the 70's looked a million dollars, Blue with chrome forks :smile:. Tru well tubing in the early 70's as it was the cheaper brother to the Equipe which had 531main tubes. Disappeared for a few years but the name re appeared several years later in 501, frame design with oversize seat stay caps..chrome forks included

View attachment 432724
I could've sworn I've seen a 531 kermesse! I had a criterium in tru well tubing and I didn't realise until recently that it wasn't reynolds

Edited because of ducking autocorrect!

Last edited:
For a while I've been thinking of getting an old steel bike, as a project for winter. Reading this thread over the last few days has got me reminiscing about my 'younger' years. In the 70s my dad had a Carlton & as soon as I was tall enough, I would always ask to ride it. Loved it & was far better than anything that was 'mine' as a kid. After a bit of googling it turns out he had a Carlton Kermesse, not that grand really, had 501 tubing, but rode really well. Doesn't seem to be too many about at the moment, so considering other Carltons & maybe off to view one this week if it's still available.

Here's a smart looking Kermesse :becool: View attachment 432711
That was the bike I was after in the 70's but couldn't find one and so ended up with my Holdsworth. I don't think the catologues mention the frames being made of Reynolds tubing.

Here is my Carlton Competition. I bought it as a frame, stem and cranks so I had to buy another frame for some donor parts.
monsoon 1633.JPG

Soltydog

Legendary Member
That was the bike I was after in the 70's but couldn't find one and so ended up with my Holdsworth. I don't think the catologues mention the frames being made of Reynolds tubing.

There's a scan of the 73 catalogue on retrobike http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/SPOKESMAN/BICYCLES/kermesse_equipe.jpg It's pictured alongside the Equipe which does mention 531 tubing, but as you say no mention of what tubing the Kermesse had. Thinking about the dates, it may have been the very early 80s when I was actually tall enough to ride it. Think I was 11 or 12 before I was as tall as my dad, so that would have been 80/81 & he'd had it a while then, he didn't buy it new so 73 model fits about right

midlife

Guru
There's a scan of the 73 catalogue on retrobike http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/SPOKESMAN/BICYCLES/kermesse_equipe.jpg It's pictured alongside the Equipe which does mention 531 tubing, but as you say no mention of what tubing the Kermesse had. Thinking about the dates, it may have been the very early 80s when I was actually tall enough to ride it. Think I was 11 or 12 before I was as tall as my dad, so that would have been 80/81 & he'd had it a while then, he didn't buy it new so 73 model fits about right

That pic shows the Equipe with 531 tubing and alloy kit. The lower level Kermesse is above with steel chainset etc and made in a Carlton hi-tensile tubing. Both looking very smart :smile:

BobS

Regular
Well I have a Carlton. Don't know it's exact vintage, but I knew the bike and it's rider in the 1970's. Still going strong as a fixed wheel bike. I converted it to straight handlebars when it became mine, rebuilt the wheels, new tyres, bike computer and off it went. It has a nice Philbrook rear hub and a campag front hub. Quite nice for a bit of bartering. It did a couple of years pulling a Rann trailer with the grandkids, now it has replaced my old claud butler fixed wheel bike (See elsewhere on this forum). Lovely to ride. Brakes only allow it to run on 27" wheels.

But why don't Halfords make those back mudguards long enough?

DSCF2915.JPG

midlife

Guru
Well I have a Carlton. Don't know it's exact vintage, but I knew the bike and it's rider in the 1970's. Still going strong as a fixed wheel bike. I converted it to straight handlebars when it became mine, rebuilt the wheels, new tyres, bike computer and off it went. It has a nice Philbrook rear hub and a campag front hub. Quite nice for a bit of bartering. It did a couple of years pulling a Rann trailer with the grandkids, now it has replaced my old claud butler fixed wheel bike (See elsewhere on this forum). Lovely to ride. Brakes only allow it to run on 27" wheels.

But why don't Halfords make those back mudguards long enough?

View attachment 432877

Capella lugs :smile:

Top Bottom