Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
carlton-side-may-2018-png.png

My early 70's Carlton Continental.
(With modern stuff, especially decent brakes.)

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I rode many happy miles on my Carlton (pictured elsewhere in this section)... and a few not so happy ones (mainly in the winter!).

I've just bought a frame that the seller advertised as a Carlton (?), so I'll maybe find out when it arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

This site sells decals for Carlton bikes and many other makes - https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/

Kempstonian

Well I've got the frame but there's no clue as to whether its a Carlton or not. It has been resprayed because blue paint is showing where the red has been chipped. This is it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The chrome forks (which have cleaned up very well) have the name Elan on a label. Did Carlton use those? I'm not sure because the top surface of the forks is plain and flat.

I need a bit of help though. I have started to prepare it for a respray but I can't get this out...

DSC_1807.JPG

Its on the right side, so does it have a left hand thread? Do I need a special tool to undo it?

midlife

Guru
It has all the hallmarks of a Carlton frame with the Trademark Crespera lugs and wrapover. The fixed cup has a left hand thread, there is a special tool but there is a trick with a big nut and bolt, I'm sure Biggs has posted pics.

Kempstonian

It has all the hallmarks of a Carlton frame with the Trademark Crespera lugs and wrapover. The fixed cup has a left hand thread, there is a special tool but there is a trick with a big nut and bolt, I'm sure Biggs has posted pics.
Thanks... I'll try to find that post. I watched a couple of Youtube videos - one guy used a very large adjustable spanner but I don't have one.

I agree about the frame most probably being a Carlton but I don't know if the forks are. More research needed there but I'm not bothered either way because I won't be trying to restore it, just make a bike I can ride. I intend to take the bits of the Townsend bike I got from my brother in law that's too big for me. I want to put an alloy chainset on if I can find one at a decent price and some new wheels eventually. I want it to end up similar to the Carlton I used to own years ago.

midlife

Guru
Yup, I agree the forks don't seem to match but don't look too out of place. This will alert @biggs682 to the thread, I'm sure he's posted about using a big bolt on the fixed cup. Big spanner needed though. Your local bike shop should be able to whip it if for not a lot of money.

Are you looking out for a single or double chainset?

Kempstonian

Yup, I agree the forks don't seem to match but don't look too out of place. This will alert @biggs682 to the thread, I'm sure he's posted about using a big bolt on the fixed cup. Big spanner needed though. Your local bike shop should be able to whip it if for not a lot of money.

Are you looking out for a single or double chainset?
A double I think. Not fussy what make it is.

Kempstonian

midlife

Guru
Maybe have a look around bankruptbikeparts. Com for a cheap double, otherwise sjs cycles, spa cycles, merlin might have something cheap. Did you want something that looks period like Zenith? There's always evil Bay lol

Kempstonian

Maybe have a look around bankruptbikeparts. Com for a cheap double, otherwise sjs cycles, spa cycles, merlin might have something cheap. Did you want something that looks period like Zenith? There's always evil Bay lol
I suppose I wouldn't want anything too modern but period ones might be a bit pricey, so I suppose anything that fits would be acceptable for now. It can always be swapped out later on.

I'll check those sites you mention. Thanks mate :okay:

Kempstonian

Twenty five quid sjs jobby looks quite neat...
Yes, its not in bad condition at all. No dents or rust on the frame at all. The paintwork is somewhat chipped but that doesn't matter as I'm currently removing it to do a respray. The red layer is very thin and coming off easily so I suspect somebody did a quick spray job using auto paint cans.

I took a look at (and registered with) the bankruptbikepart site. A good source of parts I think. My only quibble would be that it would be better if they organised it into sections. It would save wading through all the kids bike and mountain bike parts, which are numerous!

Top Bottom