Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm struggling with that bb end cup. I may have to consult the expert!

oh dear

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Haha... well its not an insurmountable problem, Its just that I can't find a way to tighten the bolt up without it turning round. I have to find something to grip the bolt head that's inside the bb. I don't seem to have anything for that.

depending on what size bolt you could try your car wheel nut removing tool

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I've just been to see a mate down the road and he's lent me a socket set with an extension bar, so I have now got what I needed... but so far its refusing to budge. Maybe a piece of scaffold pole is needed now? It had a liberal dosing of WD40 yesterday but I'll give it some more.

PHL67

Veteran
I've just been to see a mate down the road and he's lent me a socket set with an extension bar, so I have now got what I needed... but so far its refusing to budge. Maybe a piece of scaffold pole is needed now? It had a liberal dosing of WD40 yesterday but I'll give it some more.
Give it some heat.

Kempstonian

depending on what size bolt you could try your car wheel nut removing tool
Yeah, the bolt head is about 18mm across. I tried the wheel nut remover for size and its quite a bit too big. The socket set I borrowed has one that fits, so that problem is sorted now. Next I just have to put some real force into it I think. Hope nothing breaks!

Steve-W

There is a very good Facebook page named " Carlton Cycles of Worksop" there are some very knowledgeable members there.

Kempstonian

I think I need a bigger bolt and a bigger spanner! All efforts have failed so far. The bolt head is looking a bit chewed up and the washers are all deformed.

I took a break yesterday and decided to strip the paint off. A couple of liberal coatings of paint stripper did the trick - well sort of... it easily took all the red off and left me with a blue frame! It has however revealed a frame number - WM7003597. I don't know much about frame numbers, so I have no idea if this helps to identify it as a Carlton or not.

This morning I decided to see if the guys who did a couple of excellent spray jobs on my car have the facility to shot blast the frame for me and give it a coat of primer. Then I'll mask it and get them to give it a coat of a single colour. After that I'll add accent colours myself.

Kempstonian

W = Worksop
M = September
7 = 1977

The rest is a unique frame I'd. Is there any yellow on the frame along with the blue?
None at all, in fact there are no other colours, its just plain (metallic) blue. No indication of any logos or a name and the head tube hasn't had a rivetted badge on it either. Bearing in mind how old this frame must be I'm even thinking that the blue itself might even be a respray job, as its so unusual to have a plain all over colour on a bike of that age.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Well I bought a bigger bolt and washers - and I'm back to square one! I have no socket that fits, so I can't stop it turning round when I tighten the bolt.

And just to add to my problems the new tyres I got don't seem right for the wheels. I might have bought the wrong tyres.

Assembling a bike never used to be this hard...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've bought one as a winter project. All stripped down now, apart from the BB & headset. I haven't got the tool for the BB so I'll pop it into LBS next week. Initially I was hoping to keep costs to a minimum, but think I'm going for a top respray job now, :blush:
I'll post more details & pics once the build is complete :okay:

Top Bottom