Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
776D6758-1C9E-4FF1-AFC2-09E6DE573D3E.jpeg

My 1970 Carlton Truwel
Crespera lugs, Huret Svelto rear mech, Weinmann centre pulls.
Original colour was metallic gold, but thr green is original.
No wrap around seat stays.
Dunno if this helps.

I've just read about the "Death Stem". He is already pushing his luck by having it that far out.
I'll take a closer inspection of the parts tomorrow to see if I can find a frame number.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I have this 1967 Franco Italia in my collection.

It was a bare metal resto that I completed towards the end of summer.

View attachment 439849
Nice job! Are they the original colours?

Kempstonian

It’s all part of the learning curve. ( for me it was more like a mountain)
Looks like I have joined the mountaineering club!

I don't think I can use that frame at all. Luckily I haven't spent a lot of money on it, just time in getting most of the paint off. Why I didn't check before I don't know - but there's no way I'll get a rear wheel with a 5 speed, 130mm axle in there. I just measured the rear stays gap and its only 112mm! I know the stays can be opened out but not that much.

So I'm looking for another frame now...

midlife

Guru
Looks like I have joined the mountaineering club!

I don't think I can use that frame at all. Luckily I haven't spent a lot of money on it, just time in getting most of the paint off. Why I didn't check before I don't know - but there's no way I'll get a rear wheel with a 5 speed, 130mm axle in there. I just measured the rear stays gap and its only 112mm! I know the stays can be opened out but not that much.

So I'm looking for another frame now...

If its 4.5 inches then that's good old Sturmey Archer 3 speed territory.....

Kempstonian

Just remembered it has a braze on for a rear derailleur cable so scratch the 3 speed idea lol.
Hmmm... yes, all the more strange then that the gap is so small. The frame looks straight enough, so I don't think it has been bent. Curious...

Top Bottom