Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Do you really need to remove the fixed cup?
Well maybe not I suppose... it had a cottered bb and I want to change that to a square one. Maybe I'll leave it in then!

I just hate to get beaten by a problem... lol

I don't suppose sand blasting will hurt it and I'll mask it off when I get the respray done.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well maybe not I suppose... it had a cottered bb and I want to change that to a square one. Maybe I'll leave it in then!

I just hate to get beaten by a problem... lol

I don't suppose sand blasting will hurt it and I'll mask it off when I get the respray done.

I couldn’t get my fixed cup out, but I wasn’t planning on changing to square. So I just cleaned the bejaysus out of it and replaced new bearings, sorted.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'm wondering now if the cups are the same? Maybe I'll HAVE to take it out!

Another quick trip to the 'about to close' Homebase in the morning I think, to buy a socket that fits. They had a lot the other day so I hope they haven't sold them all.

I have a friend that has a Carlton. It is bright yellow! :eek: And seems to have been painted with a yard broom! The paint is that thick that any signs of frame numbers have disappeared. It has Flyer painted on it but the lugs don't look very ornate. It has Weinmann Centre pull brakes and has the rear cable mounting to show that they originally came fitted . The rear mech is a Huret Svelto which seems to date it to post 63. Where the paint has chipped off the rear dropout I can see a copper colour.
I was wondering if it could be a Flyer?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
The Flyer came with a few lug choices etc but almost universally had the typical Flyer seat stay cluster, wrap round with the points just not quite meeting in the middle.

carlton_08.jpg

midlife

Guru
I wonder how much of the original gear came with it ? The stem has Ava on it. The brakes are Weinmann centre pulls and the rear mech is Svelto.

Yep, that had me thinking too, on the surface its a 70's Carlton with a name beginning with "C" ..... If so it should have Crespera lugs.

Top Bottom