Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Hi Steve,
i already have a Carlton Continental - I want to restore the frame but dont want to disrupt my riding so your frame could be just what i'm looking for - what size is the frame and whereabouts are you?

The frame is about 22" and I am in North Herts

curzons246

Veteran
The frame is about 22" and I am in North Herts
thanks Steve a bit short in the leg for me my continental is 25 1/2 thanks for the offer, Bill

Chilli Mark

Hi, just found this thread last week.

I've got a Carlton Course Des Primes (U6566) that, as far as I can remember, I got for my 15th birthday in 1966 - 46 years ago now!
It was originally just as member 'magnidec' described his i.e. painted very dark purple, metallic violet, with some white and part chromed forks.

After a hard life with me at boarding school it needed major surgery and it's been reborn a couple of times since then (last time about 15 years ago) and now looks like this:-

MyCarlton_1.JPG
MyCarlton_8.JPG

With a lot of non-original items, not least being those to upgrade it from 5 to 10 speed.
Can anyone tell me if the frame lugs are Crespera or something else? They don't seem quite the same as any photos of Crespera that I've seen.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have a couple too. late 50's / Early 60's Franco D'Italia which is in storage awaiting restoration and this Corsa.
Carltoncorsa-1.jpg

I am looking to pass this one on as I doubt I will ever get round to restoring it. Only the frame and fork i'm afraid. So any of you that want to collect you are welcome to it as long as you promise to not turn it in to a Hipster mobile.

I love the colour of that bike! I'm not after the bike but can I have the paint?^_^

Chilli Mark

Thanks Baggy, I think you've cracked it - they do look like the Nervex Legere 48/161 lugs.
As a novice to all this I'd never even heard of them before!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
this is mine; a '58 frame (model unknown), original head badge but colour scheme and graphics more recent, as are the forks (previous owner crashed it).

is a bit of a mish-mash of components (it's the only bike i have with any campag; front wheel and rear ends), so nothing like in original form, and a fixie conversion to boot.

nice to ride though…

carlton.jpg

Red Rose

I have two Carltons (and half a dozen Raleighs, all Worksop built, except for a very late Special Products Division 853 TT frame).

This Corsair came from the National Cycle Museum, when they sold off some bikes to raise funds. It's still got all its original parts (including the non-perished original tyres). I doubt it's been ridden more than a handful of times since new. The condition is so good, I have loaned it to my local Raleigh dealer (Dynostart in Carnforth) where it's hung on the wall in his small museum.

CarltonCorsair001.jpg

CarltonCorsair011.jpg

CarltonCorsair009.jpg

CarltonCorsair007.jpg

CarltonCorsair015.jpg

I'll take some photos of the other Carlton soon. It has an interesting history and provenance.

Swifty

Über Member
My 1975 carlton criterium is my first real bike since I was a teenager I am just about to buy a 79 criterium in mint green

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I've been debating what to do with the Carlton for a couple of years now.

It served faithfully as my transport while at uni and a few years beyond before work resulted in me having to get the train or drive (and has continued to do so) along with a move to a much more hilly area where 5 1/2 speed is, along with a lower level of fitness, hard work. (I even had to put gears on the previously singlespeed mountain bike!)

The Carlton is too good to dispose of but in it's current state I don't think anyone who'd value it for what it is would want it.

None of the parts on it are transferable to other bikes (except the Deore rear mech!)

She is tired, the bottom bracket rocks (looks like knackered bearings as the cups are tight and don't move.

This weekend I was support team for my wife and a friend doing the North West 'Pink Wave' triathlon where they finished 2nd and 21st respectively (out of 31 entries) for which I've agreed to join 'Team Jelly Legs' next year so it looks like Hallie will get the work done on her that she's not had so far.

So, firstly, I want to strip her down and see what's in need of work doing, check that the bottom bracket shell is ok. I actually have a spare bottom bracket bearing and cups and a cotter axle and pins somewhere in my spares drawer having anticipated this a few years ago.

Secondly, she needs paint and I'm skint.
I've seen ''tractor enamel'' / ''brushing enamel'' which I can get in, roughly, her original colours, while I won't get a factory perfect finish, I'll get a presentable finish that looks far better than what she's worn for the past 10 years.

Or would it be acceptable to put her in a period correct scheme that isn't quite correct? A flat colour with bands on perhaps.

Top Bottom