Anyone else got this virus ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
New member seeks permission to join! ^_^

Coming to the end of week two of this unusual lurgy. Managed to cycle commute this week but still tired of an evening. Coughing not too bad and my ears and throat aren't as sore. On the other hand, I've lost a little weight through reduced appetite, so not all bad eh? :rolleyes:

Reactions: gbb

Venod

Eh up
Man flu, a luxury, had a bout of Shingles for the past 3 weeks, last time I had them it was just a rash, this time a bit painful, still managing to do some lejog on the turbo though.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
I am valiantly fighting it off in the pub with medicinal beer and scotch.

Well my mate says the laphroaig smells like TCP.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
About a week after saying I might be getting over it...I just might be. Deep cough is easing, no more headaches and a days work is fine.
I half looked at the bike with a view to getting some rare miles in...but zero degrees, I bottled it. No point in being a hero, wait for a couple degrees at least. ^_^

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Went to the out of hours GP service with this and they reminded me that I used to need a Salbutamol inhaler for this sort of thing, so I am back on that and some antibiotics. Obviously been off the bike which is annoying. February will be a write-off for cycling at this rate !

Hope everyone's feeling better soon !

I'm willing to bet that these everlasting viruses are actually just a succession of different viruses, people being less able to beat off infection when they are already weakened by the last one. They say you catch ten colds a year and fight off eight of them, but in this case something really virulent has gone around and weakened people's immune systems.
The one I am referring to is definitely a single infection. You have all the symptoms of a cold for a week or two, and then they recede but the cough stays for weeks and weeks. You do not get a reoccurrence of sneezing, runny nose, headaches etc, just a hacking cough that will not go away and makes doctors think "lung cancer?" and send you off for an x-ray.

For me, I felt fine doing normal daily tasks, but if I went for a 10 mile ride I'd end up by the roadside; coughing so hard that I thought I would throw up. Luckily I knew that was the symptoms of the aftermath of one of this year's viruses - and it was relieved by Ventolin - otherwise, I too would have been wondering about cancer.

(I had a friend who had a nagging cough that would not go away. He had a benign growth inside his rib cage that was impinging on his lungs and irritating them constantly.)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My peak flow meter will tell me when I've got enough lung capacity back to ride again.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've been struggling for a good couple of weeks with a bad cough. Chest infection comes and goes a bit, judging by the colour of the phlegm. Tried a few holes of golf today just to get some fresh air and sunshine - felt ok at the time, but tired now.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The cough I picked up around Christmas has finally cleared up. A nagging cough a bit like that described by @jefmcg but maybe not as bad, that just wouldn't go away. Well, it's finally gone away.

D

Deleted member 26715

So 3 weeks after my initial post on this, we're still not right, I'm still coughing & bringing gunk up, sinuses are playing up & having to take Sudafed to keep them clear, wife is still the same coughing & spluttering, we're both getting really fed up of it now.

So 3 weeks after my initial post on this, we're still not right, I'm still coughing & bringing gunk up, sinuses are playing up & having to take Sudafed to keep them clear, wife is still the same coughing & spluttering, we're both getting really fed up of it now.
Might be worth a visit to doctor. I know a couple of people (not previously diagnosed with asthma) who found relief with ventolin, and it helped me - though I already knew I was asthmatic.

Top Bottom