Anyone else on Vista?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monst

Vista looks nice but slow to start, slow to run stuff, slow to shut down. I would not recommend anyone to have Vista yet. In about 3 years when the bugs are ironed out, maybe. At the moment Bill Gates should have the sharp end of a smashed pc rammed up his ram. Not bitter, but I wish I had a Mac.

I like my vista! And no, my fonts aren't shrinking either :rolleyes:

bonj2

Monst said:
Vista looks nice but slow to start, slow to run stuff, slow to shut down. I would not recommend anyone to have Vista yet. In about 3 years when the bugs are ironed out, maybe. At the moment Bill Gates should have the sharp end of a smashed pc rammed up his ram. Not bitter, but I wish I had a Mac.

vista needs quite high spec hardware. If you just get the disk and install it it will be slow. One at my work is quite quick.

yello

I'll go XP when 2k is no longer supported, maybe my lappie will pack up first though! My wife's laptop has Vista and it just seems like bloatware to me, hence my interest in installing XP over it.

barq

Monst said:

Ha! I've used the Vista beta version (which surprisingly didn't seem that buggy to me). It looked very nice, but there were just too many hardware issues for me to make the leap. I've slowly made the transition from XP to linux which has been quite a steep learning curve, but ultimately suited me quite well. I couldn't recommend it to everyone, fine if you like tinkering with computers but otherwise... :biggrin:

A few days ago I was at meeting with the head of marketing for Apple UK and I have to say some of their new products do look fantastic. The Macbook Air is unbelievably light and thin. Their OS has come on a long way since I last played with it. Now if I can just get my head around the one-button mouse and stomach the extra cost... :biggrin:

yello

barq said:
I couldn't recommend it to everyone, fine if you like tinkering with computers but otherwise... :biggrin:

Yes, agreed. I've been unsuccessfully dicking around with a few flavours of linux on an old laptop. To be honest, I really really can't be arsed getting it all to work.

Vista, in it's current state, is enough to prevent me buying another wintel box. Macs, much as I like them, are at a premium in my opinion. So I'm staying put at the moment!

davidwalton

barq said:
A few days ago I was at meeting with the head of marketing for Apple UK and I have to say some of their new products do look fantastic. The Macbook Air is unbelievably light and thin. Their OS has come on a long way since I last played with it. Now if I can just get my head around the one-button mouse and stomach the extra cost... :biggrin:

I use a 5 button mouse, with wheel on my Wacom board. Can swap between pen and mouse as I want. Pen also has 2 buttons. I do not like the standard Apple mouse.

Look at the cost as a total of ownership thing, rather than an up-front cost. My MAC has lasted some years now, and longer than my PC's. Yes, it is a dual G4, but applications on it run faster than the same applications on my PC with XP.

Carwash

Señor Member
barq said:
Now if I can just get my head around the one-button mouse ...

A lot of people who switch to the Mac from Windows worry about the 'one button mouse' thing, but it's really not an issue. With Windows, you *need* a two-button mouse to use the OS; there are certain operations that require you to right-click. This is not true of the Mac. Yes, can right click, but only to get alternate routes to the same functionality you would ordinarily get by left-clicking somewhere else. So on a Mac, you really only *need* one button.

Of course, if you prefer more buttons - as I and others do - then sure, go nuts, plug in your mouse and away you go. It can certainly be useful, but it's not a requirement to be productive with the OS. (If were, Apple would ship machines with more than one button!)

domtyler

Über Member
I think we all know that the one button mouse is just so that the mouse looks more streamlined. As usual that Mac community are more interested in clean lines and glossy plastic bits than actual productivity.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Carwash said:
What are Windows users interested in then?

fixing machines that like to crash, and burying their heads in the sand over why the mac is better unless you are a techno-geek who loves the pc for what it is, not what you can do with it.

oh, and playing games, apparently.

domtyler

Über Member
Nowadays you can easily buy very good looking PC cases so the argument for spending a fortune on a machine with no functionality is gone.

I know Macs tend to crash less often, not that I have a problem with my version of Windows, XP, but that is only because you can't buy any software to run on them in the first place.

Carwash

Señor Member
alecstilleyedye said:
fixing machines that like to crash, and burying their heads in the sand over why the mac is better unless you are a techno-geek who loves the pc for what it is, not what you can do with it.

oh, and playing games, apparently.

I don't believe that for a second. I've yet to meet *any* computer user - Windows or otherwise - who enjoys fixing crash-prone machines. Although it's true that people do love to play games.

So what are Windows users *really* interested in?

Productivity and interoperability? No, that can't be it - if it were, they'd all be running Linux.

Stability and security? No, that can't be it - if it were, they'd all be running OpenBSD.

A user interface that's pleasant to use? No, that can't be it - if it were, they'd all be running OS X.

Any other ideas?

The fact is that *all* platforms compromise in different areas. Which one is better for you depends on what you want to do with your machine. But I sometimes have a hard time thinking of an area where Windows does *not* compromise. Gaming is certainly one... but the next best one I can think of is, 'running Windows software' which makes the whole thing rather circular!

Top Bottom