Anyone else on Vista?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
trustysteed said:
it usually works and is a 2-min fix opposed to several hours troubleshooting! :ohmy:

if people don't like working on PC's why don't they just leave that job and get one with a company that provides macs. or are they happier being able to complain about PCs' rather than vote with their feet?

always makes me wonder why they put up with it if they hate it that much. just frickin leave, ffs, as it's clearly a lifestyle 'issue' for them.

I'm a Mac user by choice, but at work I have a Windows PC. This doesn't bother me in the slightest. It has Firefox, Thunderbird, and most importantly puTTY (which lets me get on with my work on a real computer. SSH FTW!). I don't consider it a 'lifestyle choice'. It just happens to be what I prefer. At work my options are limited, so I work with the tools I have access to.

domtyler

Über Member
I have worked in many of the biggest Investment Banks in the CoL in my time and I have never once seen a Mac.

Reason:

- Macs are pretty, aspirational lifestyle choices for layabout graphic designers and lazy architects designed to look against exposed brick work and gleaming, fakenger style, fixies.

- PCs on the other hand are industrial strength workstations designed to enable knowledge workers to do their jobs. They rarely have problems either as you can see here:

System information for GBWS-00064969:
Uptime: 52 days 22 hours 57 minutes 15 seconds
Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
Product type: Professional
Product version: 5.1
Service pack: 1a
Kernel build number: 2600
Registered organization: xxx xxxx BANK
Registered owner: xxx xxxx BANK
Install date: 10/10/2006, 11:04:34
Activation status: Error reading status
IE version: 6.0000
System root: C:WINNT
Processors: 2
Processor speed: 2.7 GHz
Processor type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU
Physical memory: 1016 MB
Video driver: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

domtyler

Über Member
I never need that. Does that mean that a mac would be a waste of money for me?

I don't even need to know what it is that you don't need to confirm that you don't need a mac and that it would be a waste of money.

Unless of course you require an expensive ornament for your desk.

:ohmy: :smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I never need that. Does that mean that a mac would be a waste of money for me?

well a mac the kind i'm using at work might be, but a little mac mini (£400) is ideal for music, digital photography management, digital movie making etc, not to mention surfing the web. it is about the size of a sandwich box, and you can plug in your old keyboard, monitor etc. and they'll boot in windows if you need them to, and run it natively.

not all macs are prohibitively expensive.

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
- PCs on the other hand are industrial strength workstations designed to enable knowledge workers to do their jobs. They rarely have problems either as you can see here:...

OMG!!!1 An uptime of 52 days?! Can it really be true?!

Seriously Dom, what is that supposed to demonstrate? I've a Windows machine here with me with an even higher uptime than that. So what?

domtyler

Über Member
Carwash said:
OMG!!!1 An uptime of 52 days?! Can it really be true?!

Seriously Dom, what is that supposed to demonstrate? I've a Windows machine here with me with an even higher uptime than that. So what?

It clearly demonstrates that they do not crash every five minutes as the Mac crowd like to make out.

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
It clearly demonstrates that they do not crash every five minutes as the Mac crowd like to make out.

Are you serious?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
£400 without keyboard, mouse, screen?

I can get and have got what I need for far less than that.

Here we go again...
just get that then. my espousal of the mac is not a dig at anyone who uses something else and is happy with it. have you noticed how us mac folk only come out of woodwork in threads where the op is a pc issue? no one (not even me) has started a "macs are ace and pcs are shoot" thread.

davidwalton

alecstilleyedye said:
just get that then. my espousal of the mac is not a dig at anyone who uses something else and is happy with it. have you noticed how us mac folk only come out of woodwork in threads where the op is a pc issue? no one (not even me) has started a "macs are ace and pcs are shoot" thread.

I am happy there are PC's and MS around. It provided me with a well paid job for a long time. Now, I want something better, and the PC crowd can take that however they like (I don't care to play silly buggers with them).

It is my choice, and if you want to call me stupid for thinking MAC's are better, so be it. I will still be happy with my MAC:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::thumbsup:

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
Please see posts 53, 54 and all the other similar ones.

My apologies Dom. Up until now I'd understood your dogged anti-mac posts to be a wind up. Comments made in jest. Playful trolling. I thought I was playing along. It appears I was mistaken.

I am curious now though - is it just Macs you hate, or is it anything that isn't Windows? How do you feel about Linux, BSD, Solaris, BeOS, etc?

davidwalton

Never did understand why there is such passion for one camp or the other.

The choices are fairly simple.

1. Have a PC with windows, if you like MS.
2. Have a PC with some sort of Linux, if you like tinkering and don't expect the main software houses to provide any support for applications you might want to run.
3. Have a MAC. Run Windows with it if you must, or even just run MS applications, or not.

Personally, I like to run what I consider the best applications, and more often than not, it is not from MS.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One thing is for sure - PC's aren't really a consumer tool, because some poor family 'expert' will be called in to fix it......argh - got to do some of that this weekend...... oh and another family laptop to sort in about a week or so...great......

Top Bottom