Anyone else on Vista?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Vista is just resource hungry - it's polished..but you'll see lots of industry users not moving - opting for the Office 2007 shocks first...... not compatible with earlier versions unless you opt for that option.....

Got Vista on the laptop - yeh looks OK but doesn't really do much more than XP......

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Ah, but so does my dELl. And I saved meself some nicker.
half a pound of cheese please.

and, getting back to the op, no i haven't noticed the font getting smaller on firefox running on vista. must be a hardware thing :biggrin:

davidwalton

Ah, but so does my dELl. And I saved meself some nicker.

I have had a few Dells. Found they are OK for around 2 to 3 years generally, then they need replacing. However, I am sure there are some that go on forever; especially those you know about:ohmy::rolleyes::biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
I had the choice when I got this pc. I figured that I'd rather put up with Vista being new and awkward until the updates started sorting it out and the software developers recognised it. I'm glad that I did. It's fine now.

Like has been mentioned on here,i would need to upgrade my pc to take vista if i was going to ,so im happy with mine at the moment,maybe in the future i might.

davidwalton

Nope. Mine came with all the office software I need. Anything else I can get for free. The only software I've had to pay for in years is video editing.

Mine runs Vista fine, and has done since I bought it. And the whole lot cost me less than £400.

You're in danger of beginning to sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

That didn't last long did it?:idea:

You paid extra to have MS Office, yes? Dell don't give it away. You pay for everything.

I know more about PC's than I do about MAC's, since I started having to repair them for a living. A living that paid well, which is me telling you that I do know what I am talking about.

The thing I dislike about this forum is how things are always made personal..You are this or that, rather than stating the case as I tried to do. After that fell on deaf ears, I then went down to the PC level and got dirty about it all.

I wouldn't buy a £400 PC, unless I only wanted to do basic stuff. Not that you can't run many things on a cheap PC, just that it doesn't do the job as well; and I hate waiting.

I used to do 3D animation modeling on a 486 PC years ago, when the 486 was king. I am sure I could still run on a bottom of the range type PC and carry on with the wait. I choose not to, thanks.

This argument will only stop when those people who demand that the PC is king accept that it is only king to them......For me it was a living. As I said before, now I expect something that just works, ie. my MAC.

If you and others won't accept that I may think differently, have different outlook on life, choose to live by my standards (within society), then xx(xx(xx(xx(xx(xx(:thumbsup:

kyuss

Veteran
domtyler said:
I have worked in many of the biggest Investment Banks in the CoL in my time and I have never once seen a Mac.

Reason:

- Macs are pretty, aspirational lifestyle choices for layabout graphic designers and lazy architects designed to look against exposed brick work and gleaming, fakenger style, fixies.

- PCs on the other hand are industrial strength workstations designed to enable knowledge workers to do their jobs. They rarely have problems either as you can see here:

System information for GBWS-00064969:
Uptime: 52 days 22 hours 57 minutes 15 seconds
Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
Product type: Professional
Product version: 5.1
Service pack: 1a
Kernel build number: 2600
Registered organization: xxx xxxx BANK
Registered owner: xxx xxxx BANK
Install date: 10/10/2006, 11:04:34
Activation status: Error reading status
IE version: 6.0000
System root: C:WINNT
Processors: 2
Processor speed: 2.7 GHz
Processor type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU
Physical memory: 1016 MB
Video driver: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

Maybe the reason you've never seen a mac in investment banking is because it would be overkill for the job in hand. They deserve better than to be relegated to the status of a glorified calculator.

If you knew anything about the graphic design industry you'd realise most of us aren't layabouts. I regularly work 50+hrs a week and do more memory intensive work on my mac in a week than you probably do on a pc in a year. Just because something is pretty doesn't mean it's useless. You've clearly never used one.

I'm glad your pc hasn't crashed in the past 52 days though. That must be nice. It's still got a fair way to go to catch up on the 4 years of my old emac mind.

kyuss

Veteran
You're right, not everyone needs a mac and I never meant to suggest that they did. To be honest if I wasn't in the job I'm in and had never experienced the mac operating system I'd be quite happy to buy a pc. I was just pointing out that macs aren't just expensive, pretty paperweights. They are powerful, reliable, easy to use computers. Some of us are prepared to pay a slight premium to own one, some aren't. Horses for courses and all that.

Top Bottom