Anyone else on Vista?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
52 days? my work laptop only ever has an uptime of about 8.5 hours. cos i turn it off every night to protect the environment....:ohmy:

davidwalton

I like these posts that claim to be balanced, then add a little dig at the end.

You have a passion for macs. I'm amongst the millions who buy a pc because it's fit for purpose. If I needed a mac I'd buy one. I don't, so I'm not going to waste my money.

That's not that I don't like them. I've used them for recording and they're pretty good.

If I was after a new MP3 player I wouldn't buy an Ipod. Because part of what you're paying for is the name.

I'm sorry. I did not realise that MS is now the whole PC market place. I had no dig at anything other than MS. While they have won the marketing wars, and therefore considered the market leaders, their applications have NEVER been the BEST. MS was just best at marketing, and ensuring that other software houses were disadvantaged by not giving Windows code to them as quickly as they could.

davidwalton said:
ensuring that other software houses were disadvantaged by not giving Windows code to them as quickly as they could.

but why should they? if you had a successful, patented business idea, you wouldn't bloody share the secrets with your competitors, would you?

davidwalton

trustysteed said:
but why should they? if you had a successful, patented business idea, you wouldn't bloody share the secrets with your competitors, would you?

Most legal courts disagree, and have ruled against MS in almost every case. MS payout millions in legal suits every year, pay other companies off for them stealing their patented code, and generally act in a way that would put any normal person in jail.

davidwalton

The mac/pc debate is a great one to stir up every now and then.

At the end of the day, we're all entitled to our opinions.

It's just that the opinion of everyone else but me is wrong.

I agree, you do have a right to your opinion, and to your belief of being right. However, in this case, the facts and your opinion differ to far for anyone to agree with you being right, except those either agreeing for the hell of it or to be argumentative:biggrin::biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
davidwalton said:
I'm sorry. I did not realise that MS is now the whole PC market place. I had no dig at anything other than MS. While they have won the marketing wars, and therefore considered the market leaders, their applications have NEVER been the BEST. MS was just best at marketing, and ensuring that other software houses were disadvantaged by not giving Windows code to them as quickly as they could.

That's all well and good but anyone who has read more than a few of your posts will quickly attribute your penchant for Macs (let's face it, it is the same story for just about all Mac users) to the fact that you have an overwhelming desire to stand out from the crowd.

What bike are you riding nowadays Mr Walton?

Oh surprise, surprise, it's a recumbent.

How about you tell us where you buy your clothes? I'm guessing it's not M&S!!! :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
The mac/pc debate is a great one to stir up every now and then.

At the end of the day, we're all entitled to our opinions.

It's just that the opinion of everyone else but me is wrong.

opinions are as peanuts, everybody's got one ;)

a good mac/pc argument brings the halcyon days of c+ to mind…

surely a shimano/campag one is in order soon :biggrin:

and shoe jealousy is so unbecoming ;)

davidwalton

domtyler said:
That's all well and good but anyone who has read more than a few of your posts will quickly attribute your penchant for Macs (let's face it, it is the same story for just about all Mac users) to the fact that you have an overwhelming desire to stand out from the crowd.

What bike are you riding nowadays Mr Walton?

Oh surprise, surprise, it's a recumbent.

How about you tell us where you buy your clothes? I'm guessing it's not M&S!!! :biggrin:

Yes, the MAC really stands out in my bedroom;) I do have an overwhelming desire to have a computer that just works, and that is what I have with my MAC.

Yes, a recumbent. Again, only the best will do:biggrin::biggrin:. Besides, back will no longer allow for the use of a DF bike.

I don't buy cloths in M&S. Generally buy from http://www.rohan.co.uk. However, recently, cloth purchases have been from online bike shops.

domtyler

Über Member
What's the betting you have exposed brickwork in your bedroom?

Everyone knows that when people have got bored of their shiny fixies they get a recumbent to try and be even more trendy. Sorry I just don't buy the bad back routine, the purchase of a mac is based on one thing alone, how it looks!

Face it David, Dave?, you are a fashion victim with more money than sense, just like all the other Mac lovers on here. If you would just admit that one fact then I, and everyone else, would have a hell of a lot more respect for you.

davidwalton

domtyler said:
What's the betting you have exposed brickwork in your bedroom?

Everyone knows that when people have got bored of their shiny fixies they get a recumbent to try and be even more trendy. Sorry I just don't buy the bad back routine, the purchase of a mac is based on one thing alone, how it looks!

Face it David, Dave?, you are a fashion victim with more money than sense, just like all the other Mac lovers on here. If you would just admit that one fact then I, and everyone else, would have a hell of a lot more respect for you.

Sorry, but you are so far off with me, you must be talking about someone else.

My MAC is approx 5 years old. The only bits I see are the monitor and keyboard. Main box is hidden under the workbench.
The back has been an issue since 1994, and had a few operations to help with that.
A fashion disaster I might be, especially as I don't follow any trend other than what I like.

Carwash

Señor Member
davidwalton said:
Yes, the MAC really stands out in my bedroom;) I do have an overwhelming desire to have a computer that just works, and that is what I have with my MAC.

Please stop saying 'MAC' when you mean 'Mac'. It's not an acronym. In a computing context, 'MAC' is something entirely different, and there's no need to confuse the issue.

-----

Of the PC partisans here, I wonder how many have used a Mac in the last, ooh, let's be generous, 5 years? Most Mac users experience Windows reasonably frequently due to its ubiquity, but Macs are less common, so you'd probably have to go out of your way. I just wonder if the opinions expressed here are based on actual comparison or not. I'm prepared to be surprised!

Top Bottom