anyone else seen these tyres before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think @Racing roadkill uses the Tannus solid on one bike.
I wouldn't use them.
He does indeed. I’m on my second year of using them, on my poor weather commuter road bike. They are brilliant when you get used to them. There are lots of naysayers, most haven’t ridden them enough to make the judgements they do, as far as I can tell. I’ve done over 10000 miles ( estimated ) on 2 sets, and I actually really like them.

Smudge

Veteran
He does indeed. I’m on my second year of using them, on my poor weather commuter road bike. They are brilliant when you get used to them. There are lots of naysayers, most haven’t ridden them enough to make the judgements they do, as far as I can tell. I’ve done over 10000 miles ( estimated ) on 2 sets, and I actually really like them.

Interesting......
The one bike i've thought about putting them on is my road bike, its only an entry level Defy 5, so i'm not interested in weight or speed, more the obvious puncture free aspect and getting the max width for going down canal paths. Possibly looking at 28c width, which is the max that'll fit.
How do the sizes come up on these Tannus, over, under or spot on ?

Alan O

Über Member
My thought is that they're very possibly a good compromise for city rental bikes (where a puncture would just result in a bike being left unusable somewhere) but unlikely to be good for people's own bikes.

Interesting......
The one bike i've thought about putting them on is my road bike, its only an entry level Defy 5, so i'm not interested in weight or speed, more the obvious puncture free aspect and getting the max width for going down canal paths. Possibly looking at 28c width, which is the max that'll fit.
How do the sizes come up on these Tannus, over, under or spot on ?

They come up spot on. What you do have be careful of though, is that the bit that sits between the internal walls, is bigger on the 25mm versions, than it is on the 23 and 28 mm versions ( at present ) the 23 and 28 mm versions will fit in a 700c X 16c rim, but the 25 mm versions need at least 700c X 17c rim ( for the 700c size tyres ) obviously.

My thought is that they're very possibly a good compromise for city rental bikes (where a puncture would just result in a bike being left unusable somewhere) but unlikely to be good for people's own bikes.
Speaking from my personal experience of them, I disagree.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1564535452

https://www.relive.cc/view/1567309631

https://www.relive.cc/view/1569274417

I completed this 3 day challenge ride, earlier this year, using this.

9424EF10-E725-44C3-BF3A-BFFB7D098B79.jpeg

A 9 speed Triban 520, with 25mm Tannus tyres. So they can handle all sorts, if needs be, and aren’t just for short commute rides.

Smudge

Veteran
They come up spot on. What you do have be careful of though, is that the bit that sits between the internal walls, is bigger on the 25mm versions, than it is on the 23 and 28 mm versions ( at present ) the 23 and 28 mm versions will fit in a 700c X 16c rim, but the 25 mm versions need at least 700c X 17c rim ( for the 700c size tyres ) obviously.

Would the 28 tyres and fittings fit on a 15 rim ?
Because that's what the rim width is on my Defy SR-2 wheels

Would the 28 tyres and fittings fit on a 15 rim ?
Because that's what the rim width is on my Defy SR-2 wheels
Yes they will fit, because they are suitable for ETRTOs of 14-16mm. However, I’m not sure the Defy SR-2s have enough wall depth, there are certain rims that are too shallow, some Giant rims are like this, you may want to check.

Smudge

Veteran
Yes they will fit, because they are suitable for ETRTOs of 14-16mm. However, I’m not sure the Defy SR-2s have enough wall depth, there are certain rims that are too shallow, some Giant rims are like this, you may want to check.

Ok, i'll bear it in mind to check this if i decide to go for them.
Thanks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ok, i'll bear it in mind to check this if i decide to go for them.
Thanks.

Tannus now has a UK rep who is signing up dealers so there might be a shop near you.

My local bike shop is now a Tannus dealer, much against the wishes of the proprietor but he was over-ruled by the manager.

The score so far is five or six to one - they've sold half a dozen pairs of Tannus tyres but have had to remove one pair for a customer who couldn't get on with them.

Feedback seems to be grip can be iffy on white road paint, although you could say that about pneumatic tyres.

Alan O

Über Member
Speaking from my personal experience of them, I disagree.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1564535452

https://www.relive.cc/view/1567309631

https://www.relive.cc/view/1569274417

I completed this 3 day challenge ride, earlier this year, using this.

View attachment 433431

A 9 speed Triban 520, with 25mm Tannus tyres. So they can handle all sorts, if needs be, and aren’t just for short commute rides.
That's your experience of Tannus tyres, not those holey ones on the rental bikes.

Tannus now has a UK rep who is signing up dealers so there might be a shop near you.

My local bike shop is now a Tannus dealer, much against the wishes of the proprietor but he was over-ruled by the manager.

The score so far is five or six to one - they've sold half a dozen pairs of Tannus tyres but have had to remove one pair for a customer who couldn't get on with them.

Feedback seems to be grip can be iffy on white road paint, although you could say that about pneumatic tyres.

It’s not so much the white lines that are the biggest issue. The things that really scare the bejesus out of you, until you get used to it, are the smooth concrete ‘mats’ at the start and ends of cycle lanes. If you
Instinctively over react, that can make for an eye opener. It does happen with high pressure pneumatic tyres as well, but the onset isn’t quite as pronounced. It is horses for courses, and if you’re used to riding off road, and on ‘iffy’ surfaces, most people develop the bike handling skills for it not to be much of an issue, but an inexperienced rider might find certain ‘foibles’ of the tyres a bit unnerving. They won’t suit everybody, not much does, but there is a definite sense of satisfaction when you hit an unseen patch of broken glass / sharp debris, in the dark, when it’s cold / wet, and you don’t have to end up fixing a puncture.

Alan O

Über Member
Which is what I was asked about, your point is what exactly?
I was not aware that you had been individually asked about Tannus tyres, so you have my apologies for that. But do you really not by now understand that saying "your point is what exactly?" rather than just sticking with a friendly response makes the writer look like a bit of a, well, whatever?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was not aware that you had been individually asked about Tannus tyres, so you have my apologies for that. But do you really not by now understand that saying "your point is what exactly?" rather than just sticking with a friendly response makes the writer look like a bit of a, well, whatever?
To be fair, he does have a track record of being a bit of a, well, whatever

Last edited:
Top Bottom