Anyone else spent ages waiting for "hot weather"to ride in then find it's too hot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Hmmm, in no way whatsoever? I don't agree. Depends on many factors of course but I personally feel some would benefit if only in mental health.

brand

Hmmm, in no way whatsoever? I don't agree. Depends on many factors of course but I personally feel some would benefit if only in mental health.
Don't agree. Health wise I am of the opinion that it is probably unhealthy to exercise say 10 times a year. Your heart just isn't used to it. You are supposed to build up slowly and regularly. Again don't agree with the mental health suggestion. Simply not often enough. Remember I said summer only and when the weather is just right. I assume weekends only. I think they are called weekend warriors. Met one once going down a steep hill he was coming up. Said to me "it is easier cycling down than up". His girlfriend said the same. Half wits. Wouldn't mind but they were walking up the hill!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't agree. Health wise I am of the opinion that it is probably unhealthy to exercise say 10 times a year. Your heart just isn't used to it. You are supposed to build up slowly and regularly. Again don't agree with the mental health suggestion. Simply not often enough. Remember I said summer only and when the weather is just right. I assume weekends only. I think they are called weekend warriors. Met one once going down a steep hill he was coming up. Said to me "it is easier cycling down than up". His girlfriend said the same. Half wits. Wouldn't mind but they were walking up the hill!
It's still exercise and still possibly more than they normally do. And some get the bug and continue. I was a once a year cyclist who did the hire the bike and cycle along a cycle path annually on holiday. Yes I wasn't fit, but neither did I need to see a doc before I attempted it. If you go out 10 times a year then you tend to take it easier than the regular cyclists. I've gone out on a ride with friends who don't cycle regularly, and you just need to lower your speed considerably and take into account that they might want to stop quite frequently. Not make a big issue over it. The last ride with friends one ended up turning back after 2 miles and I felt really bad that he didn't think that we wouldn't be happy to adjust to his speed. I don't mind I just see it as a social.

My main concern about the new cyclists is their road awareness and not thinking that the highway code applies to them on a bike (whereas if they were in the car then it would apply to the cyclists they see). And a lift in mental health however temporary has to be a good thing too.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not sure what those skills are? You get on and you pedal. Of course riding in the summer once a week a couple of miles if the weather is just right, is not going to improve your health in away whatsoever.

Not really skills more like common sense such as riding in the left hand and not the right hand cycle lane(and when you confront them they know they've been nobbers but wont back down),looking over the right shoulder before turning right,not swapping from the road to the pavement constantly,not having dehydrated "devil dogs" running behind their badly maintained mountain bikes,not talking on the phone and swilling Special Brew while cycling to name but a few.

brand

not talking on the phone and swilling Special Brew while cycling to name but a few.
If you mean both at the same time, THAT is a skill!
Most, if not all the things you said really don't relate to "real" cyclists. They are not the people who will go out and try and beat their personal best or even go out for a days cycling. So they have no interest in learning skills/common sense. More the other way round.

Danny

Legendary Member
I enjoy the heat, but all the fine weather seems to have produced an extended hay fever season. It took at least 24 hours for my nose and eyes to stop streaming after I went for a long ride on Wednesday.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I enjoy the heat, but all the fine weather seems to have produced an extended hay fever season. It took at least 24 hours for my nose and eyes to stop streaming after I went for a long ride on Wednesday.
As a fellow sufferer, I sympathise. Do you not use Piriton or similar?

Top Bottom