Anyone fancy a forum ride, Forest of Bowland, Sun 20th July or Sun 17th August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

In trouble

Hi again,

Picked up our road bikes two weeks ago. WOW, awesome ride, and so impressed. The only down side, as of Monday I move depts at work, and therefore am working from 2pm on the 17th and can't make it unfortunatley. I will however keep an eye out for forum rides and now I'm up and running.....................

The In troubles!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In trouble said:
Hi again,

Picked up our road bikes two weeks ago. WOW, awesome ride, and so impressed. The only down side, as of Monday I move depts at work, and therefore am working from 2pm on the 17th and can't make it unfortunatley. I will however keep an eye out for forum rides and now I'm up and running.....................

The In troubles!!!!!!!
I'm glad you like the new bikes. It's a pity that you can't make the ride, but I'll organise something next year and perhaps will see you then?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I went over Longridge Fell in the opposite direction last Sunday on The Pendle Pedal and we took a new route up to Jeffrey Hill which I rather liked so I'm going to modify our route to go down that way this time. We will stay high up for longer so the views are better. We will then drop down a less precipitous descent which will be safer (I was a bit nervous on the first run when longers and Frustruck shot past me with a car coming up round the tight bend ahead of us :becool: !).

The map below shows the change to the route in purple.

longridge_change.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin, I agree with you about that descent off Jeffrey Hill - scary without my MTB disc brakes!

Sadly I can't make it on the 17th as we have family coming for the weekend. I would love to come on the next ride though.

You don't visit the Cobbled Corner cyclists' cafe in Chipping?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Rigid Raider said:
Colin, I agree with you about that descent off Jeffrey Hill - scary without my MTB disc brakes!
I'm quite happy with my road brakes, even in the wet.

I do worry about my front wheel sliding out from under me in wet conditions on steep downhills though. It's only happened to me once and that was actually on a MTB - it hurt!

Rigid Raider said:
Sadly I can't make it on the 17th as we have family coming for the weekend. I would love to come on the next ride though.
You might like to have a go at the Season of Mists audax on Sunday October 5th. It starts in Hebden Bridge and goes out into the Forest of Bowland and back. It's a very tough 100 km loop which manages to squeeze in over 2,500 m of climbing.

I'll organise another ride next year anyway and can see you on that.

Rigid Raider said:
You don't visit the Cobbled Corner cyclists' cafe in Chipping?
I have been there before but it would be too early in this ride. We'd have only done about 20 miles by the time we got to it.

The cafe at Waddington is well-situated at 51 miles, coming after a great descent following the tough climb of Waddington Fell. After the cafe stop it is an easy 6 miles back to the finish of our ride.

I really hope the weather improves by next weekend!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

ASC1951 said:
Colin, is there a meeting point and time for those wanting to set off from Mytholmroyd this Sunday, rather than driving to Whalley?
Actually, I will be starting from Hebden Bridge so if you park here it would be more convenient for me, if that's okay? I used to suggest Mytholmroyd because the parking situation was bad here while they were pedestrianising the town centre. It's all sorted out now, but unfortunately pay-and-display everywhere.

Here's a map of Hebden Bridge town centre

As you drop down New Road (A646) into the town from the Mytholmroyd direction, pass through the first two sets of lights (Albert Street and Hope Street on the map) and turn right down Bridge Gate at the 3rd set (by Ladbrokes the bookies). There is a small car park on your left by the river (marked St Pol on the map).

When I rode to Whalley last time there was a strong headwind and it took me 90 minutes to get there. I set off late and only got there a few minutes before 10:00 so it was lucky that I didn't have a puncture on the way. I'd rather set off from HB about 08:15 and not have to rush, so how about meeting up at the car park at 08:10?

If the weather isn't too bad I might have a mate with me. He said that he'd come as far as Dunsop Bridge with us and then head for home.

ASC1951

Guru
ColinJ said:
Actually, I will be starting from Hebden Bridge .....There is a small car park on your left by the river (marked St Pol on the map).
Right, Totnes-on-Calder it is ;)

Can you PM me your phone number, Colin? In case my bike falls to bits/my head falls off etc.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sorry peeps but I cannot make it on Sunday now. A late family thing I cannot get out of prompts me making my excuses. I'd love to meet up with you all as well. Colin, anything else planned for the near future?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Sorry peeps but I cannot make it on Sunday now. A late family thing I cannot get out of prompts me making my excuses. I'd love to meet up with you all as well. Colin, anything else planned for the near future?
Pity about that - the forecast is getting better hour-by-hour :biggrin:!

Hopefully I will be doing a few more decent rides this year before the hours of daylight start getting too short. If we get a warm, dry Saturday or Sunday in the next few weeks I wouldn't mind doing the route of the Spring Into the Dales audax event which I missed this year due to coming down with a sudden dose of fair-weather-cyclistisis (It was raining!). That passes through Laneshaw Bridge just up the road from you so it would be easy to meet up there if you fancied it? You'd have to ride the last bit back to Colne by yourself either from Oxenhope via Stanbury or from Hebden Bridge via Widdop. Or of course you could drive over to HB, do the full ride and drive back. If you were really keen, you could ride over here via Widdop, do the SITD loop and then ride back again. That would be a strenuous, scenic 95 miler.

If you're interested, I'll PM you if I plan to do that one.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Blonde said:
Hopefully see you on Sunday but I have been ill this week and off work so you'll have to be gentle with me!
I.e. be slow enough up the hills that you have at least 10 minutes rest at the top of each one before I get there...

I'd like to see you and Mark, but if you aren't feeling well perhaps you'd be better off treating yourself to a lazy weekend at home and trying to recover?

Having said that - going at my speed will probably be like a recovery ride for you anyway :rolleyes:!

Top Bottom