Anyone fancy a forum ride, Forest of Bowland, Sun 20th July or Sun 17th August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No harm to yer, Colin and thanks again for the shifters. I'll fit them when I've resolved the problem of the bars, which became evident during my short ride. Who knows, I might even run out of excuses and have to come with you on 17 August! It would be my first proper road ride - does this mean I'm straying over to the dark side? Gawd forbid that my MTB club pals ever find out, they will rib me to death.

Nice to meet others, Alun, Andy-wrx and Longers too.

Cheers Colin, thanks for organising.

Bonj, we went past an old sandstone borderpost which showed we'd just gone from Lancs into Yorks, so excuse not acceptable !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
About that borderpost...

(From Wikipedia)

• Bowland was a rural district in the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1894 to 1974. It was named after the Forest of Bowland, which it included.

It was formed under the Local Government Act 1894 from that part of the Clitheroe rural sanitary district which was in Yorkshire (the rest becoming the Clitheroe Rural District in Lancashire).

The district was abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. It was united with the Clitheroe Rural District (and some other territory), as part of the Ribble Valley district in the non-metropolitan county of Lancashire.

That's some change! To me, it now seems deep into Lancashire but I bet the locals still feel that it is in Yorkshire, just as those in Saddleworth do.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh... Seek and ye shall find!

milestone1.jpg

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for organising the ride Colin, a good 'un ;)

Nice to meet you all.

I got home at half eight (via the offie :evil:)

Blonde

Bike still at bike shop... so went for flatter 60 miler on the commuting/fixed bike. We hope to make the August excursion instead - See you then!

Christopher

Über Member
hi Col
Thanks for organising the ride. I grovelled back home into that headwind, not too bad until I got to a ridge above Balckburn where it smacked me in the face.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Frustruck said:
hi Col
Thanks for organising the ride. I grovelled back home into that headwind, not too bad until I got to a ridge above Balckburn where it smacked me in the face.
The wind was favourable for me on my ride home, which was good news because I was feeling a bit tired. The worst problem was that I could hardly sit on the saddle by then :smile:! Those 3/4 length shorts I was wearing just don't have a good enough insert.

I've just been checking my map and was toying with suggesting an alternative route for the 2nd ride in August. I was thinking

• Whalley
  • Great Mitton
  • Waddington
  • Waddington Fell (opposite way to last Sunday)
  • Newton
  • Slaidburn
  • Lamb Fell
  • Tatham Fell
  • Keasden
  • Bowland Knotts
  • Stocks Reservoir
  • Lane Ends
  • Grindleton
  • West Bradford
  • Waddington (cafe stop)
  • Great Mitton
  • Whalley.
It's about the same distance as the first route and just as scenic (possibly even more so?). I'll knock up a map and a profile and then those who are going to take part can vote on which route to do.

longers

Legendary Member
Can I do the August ride as well please?
Either route is fine by me, the first one was so good I'd be happy to ride it again.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thinking about it, I'd rather do the original route again, given my current state of fitness. We can do the other route in 2009.

Currently, 7 people are set to do the ride, with another 8 on the 'Maybe' list. It looks as though there might be about 10 or so on the day which will be a good turnout. See you a week two weeks on Sunday!

PS There is still time to add your name to the list if you fancy joining us.

looks like i'm out of the rides for this year, the wife has booked a last minute holiday the day before the ride. will have to get on one next year.
Mick

Top Bottom