Anyone fancy a forum ride, Forest of Bowland, Sun 20th July or Sun 17th August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
piedwagtail91 said:
i'm not going to be able to make this weekend which is a bit of a sickener as i was hoping to put faces to names, hopefully i'll be well enough for the next.
hope the weather is good and you have a good ride
Mick
Sorry about that Mick - I'll move you to the August 'Maybe' list instead.

Leo (Blonde) - I hope you get your new bike in time but if you can't make it on Sunday, try and join us in August instead.

The forecast for Sunday is looking okay. I didn't fancy wet-and-windy, and I'm currently not fit enough to cope with scorchio without seriously overheating on the climbs so mild-and-breezy is just right for me.

Blonde said:
BTW, not sure how mrushton feels about being referred to as Mr Blonde... he's more of a Mr Silver, heh heh!

Has he seen Reservoir Dogs ? :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

andy_wrx said:
Mr Blonde was the psycho character played by Madsen ;)
[Shudder] I'm not normally too affected by movie violence because it nevers seems 'real' but there was something about the infamous torture scene in Reservoir Dogs that really got to me. I cut to the next scene before he got to work with that razor...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Frustruck, bonj, dan_bo - before you shut down your computers for the weekend... have any of you decided one way or the other about Sunday?

It would be nice to meet up with you guys, but if you can't make it, remember that there will be a second run in August.

Cheers,
ColinJ

Christopher

Über Member
hiya Colin

I'll be there on Sunday! Riding a Dave Yates, the blue Audax one or the lightweight (for steel) yellow one..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Frustruck said:
hiya Colin

I'll be there on Sunday! Riding a Dave Yates, the blue Audax one or the lightweight (for steel) yellow one..
Excellent - see you there!

bonj2

ColinJ said:
Frustruck, bonj, dan_bo - before you shut down your computers for the weekend... have any of you decided one way or the other about Sunday?

It would be nice to meet up with you guys, but if you can't make it, remember that there will be a second run in August.

Cheers,
ColinJ

yeah, i'm planning on going ;)
i'll see you on sunday then all being well

mondobongo

Über Member
Last minute changes at work mean I won't be able to make the ride fellas. Looks like you are going to see half decent weather as well.

bonj2

guys - i'm not coming after all, sorry. I've just realised it's in blooming lancashire !:biggrin:- which is absolutely miles away - over two hours drive for me. (i thought forest of bowland was in yorkshire :biggrin:)
Plus i've made a couple of changes to my road bike which i want to get used to before going on a big ride.

i'm sure i'll get to meet some of you on another ride in the future a bit nearer home...

Alun

Guru
Colin, thanks for sorting yesterdays ride, it was excellent.
Everyone, thanks for waiting for me.
I'm off to get some slicks now.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
Colin, thanks for sorting yesterdays ride, it was excellent.
Everyone, thanks for waiting for me.
I'm off to get some slicks now.
No problem. It was nice to meet you and longers, and see andy_wrx and Frustruck again. Oh, and also the brief encounter with Rigid Raider who popped over from Blackburn to collect some Sora STI shifters from me at the start (RR - I bought the beer, but was too tired to drink much of it last night :biggrin:).

As for the slicks - yes, definitely get some for your road rides, preferably on a spare set of wheels so you can swap 'em over quickly! Alun did the ride on his new cyclo-cross bike which was clad with knobbly tyres and that must have been hard work. He asked how much difference it would make to use slick tyres. I demonstrated the difference by flying away him from downhill without pedalling (we are the same weight, so other things being equal, we'd have freewheeled at about the same speed).

We were really lucky with the weather. There was lots of sunshine and blue skies. From time to time black clouds scudded overhead, but somehow they didn't drop any rain on us.

I'd like to thank the others for waiting too - they were waiting for me as much as for Alun. They were quite cheerful about it and never made it a problem.

It was really windy yesterday, but fortunately the wind was in our faces on the way out, but helping us on the way back on the toughest climbs.

We bombed down off Waddington Fell to try and catch the cafe in Waddington before it shut. There were a couple of scary moments when we were caught by gusty crosswinds on the long, fast descent, but we all got down in one piece. The staff at the cafe said that it wouldn't be a problem to stay open until we'd refuelled and rested a while.

It was a good day out. The Forest of Bowland looked as lovely as ever. It'll be nice to do the route again in August.

I thought that I'd get a 'century' in with riding from Hebden Bridge to Whalley and back again after the ride, but it only turned out to be 98 miles. I thought about riding round the block a few times to add the extra couple of miles but it seemed a bit artificial to do that. I was feeling pretty tired and hungry so I just went home, had a quick sandwich and a long hot soak in the bath.

Okay, that's yer lot for a few weeks. I'll bump the thread back into life in August to remind everyone about the 'rerun'.

Top Bottom