Anyone gained more weight than me in 2018?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Background was that I was 100-105kg until about 10-15 years ago. Got into cycling/triathlon (Ironman) and last 10 years have been around the 88kg mark. (I am not tall, so if I was down to 78kg I would not look skinny!)

In Feb- May 2018 I cycled across the USA. Came back at 86kg. Rest of year, I still managed a half Ironman, London 100 and a week of touring in France, plus ticking over on regular training.

Weighed myself today and the bad news is I am 95.65kg! So up 9.65kg in 8 months

Clearly I need to a) up the exercise and b) cut back the calories, but anyone else as bad as me last year?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
that is 21.25lbs in old money!

Arrived home from India last March at a reasonable weight - 100.6 kg. My ideal weight used to be around 97 kg.

I finished work at the end of October, weighing 104 kg. Now after five weeks of holidays and visits, plus the dreaded excesses of Christmas, I weighed in yesterday at 112 kg!

Fortunately I'm reasonably tall (6'1") and can carry it ok, but sitting at the airport now en route to India, I'm trying to see how I'll be able to get under 100 kg within the next 10 weeks.

So, 12 kilos extra for me.

"In Feb- May 2018 I cycled across the USA. Came back at 86kg. Rest of year, I still managed a half Ironman, London 100 and a week of touring in France, plus ticking over on regular training."

I doubt whether any further increase in exercise will help you to reduce weight.
If you are serious about losing weight, you need to have a good look at your food intake.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
My weight fluctuates quite a lot. Got into cycling at 95kg, got as low as 68kg at one point. Now hovering around 75kg having crept back up to 80kg (I'm 5'7" so not tall).

I constantly cycle a lot and have an active job, have to agree with others that weight loss only occurs with calorie control. I can only seem to calorie control by calorie counting (My Fitness Pal works for me).

I'd love to get back to the weight I was in my twenties (63kg / 10 stone), reckon i'd fly up those hills then.

I'd love to get back to the weight I was in my twenties (63kg / 10 stone), reckon i'd fly up those hills then.

I do not have a weight issue and is not actively looking to lose weight. However, last year, I lost about 2-3 Kg, not intentionally but simply following more healthy eating.
But I was quite surprised to see its effect on my fitness level. Climbing is certainly better. Overall speed has improved. I do parkrun occasionally on Saturdays. My time has improved from just over 30 minutes to 28.45.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I went from 112kg to 79kg in 6 weeks a couple of years back. I wouldn't recommend my methods though, multiple organ failure and acute necrotizing pancreatitis :laugh:

I'm back up to 107kg now but I'm targeting 95kg by summer :ohmy::smile:

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
"In Feb- May 2018 I cycled across the USA. Came back at 86kg. Rest of year, I still managed a half Ironman, London 100 and a week of touring in France, plus ticking over on regular training."

I doubt whether any further increase in exercise will help you to reduce weight.
If you are serious about losing weight, you need to have a good look at your food intake.
Yes, but the period of weight gain coincides with the period of less exercise. However the cake and snack consumption is the main issue!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Background was that I was 100-105kg until about 10-15 years ago. Got into cycling/triathlon (Ironman) and last 10 years have been around the 88kg mark. (I am not tall, so if I was down to 78kg I would not look skinny!)

In Feb- May 2018 I cycled across the USA. Came back at 86kg. Rest of year, I still managed a half Ironman, London 100 and a week of touring in France, plus ticking over on regular training.

Weighed myself today and the bad news is I am 95.65kg! So up 9.65kg in 8 months

Clearly I need to a) up the exercise and b) cut back the calories, but anyone else as bad as me last year?
Last time I was 88kg was hmm 20 yrs ago. I’m 6ft and my weight varies from 95kg- 100kgs. I’m active do a lot of excersise, try and eat quite healthy normally. However coming out of Christmas, the Japanese whaling ships are circling me :-) . Going to mix up the cycling with more running this year.

Top Bottom