Anyone gone large (28mm tyres)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
...the 28s tend to clog up the mudguards with mud in winter due to reduced clearance. That's why I'm on 25s at the moment. Riding the 28s a teaspoon is an essential bit of kit for mudguard clearing.

Try adjusting your mudguards!

No reason to stop at 32mm. My commuter has Schwalbe 35mm tyres which are supposed to measure 37mm in real life and find these ideal for all and any trip's. Potholes are a mere inconvenience as I can crash through anything without fear, apart from being thrown from the bike or breaking the frame.....

All-road bike is currently on 28s but will probably go up a size or two if they fit

Last edited:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
You might want wider still in Kent.

I'm around the Whitstable, Canterbury area and the roads are ****. I see a lot of people running 28s. I've got 32s on the hybrid and had considered going to 28s but after a few weeks using the same roads regularly I decided against it.

GOAB

Will Spin

Über Member
Just put 28mm tubeless on mine, gone about 200 miles or so, better ride all round. Had to move the mudguards slightly to increase the clearance.

Dark46

Veteran
I use 25s at the moment but have used 28s on my road bike and really like them. You get a better ride and I think more grip too. If it wasn't for the fact that my mudguards are for 25s then I would go 28s next time. The only downside I found was in the wet they kicked up grit and deposited it on the forks and uprights

400bhp

Guru
Wider but shorter.

Shorter?

boydj

Legendary Member
I've gone to 28mm and like the results in terms of comfort and roadholding, with no impact on speed. However, I've done so on modern rims, which are a bit wider than the old standard, and give a good profile to the tyre. I'd stick to 25mm on older, narrower rims where a 28 would end up with a lightbulb profile.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Wider tyres = greater contact patch

Not necessarily - size of contact patch depends on the tyre pressure. Although yes, one does generally run wider tyres at lower pressures .

What @User means by 'shorter' is that a skinny tyre will have a long, thin contact patch, while a wider tyre at the same pressure will have the same size (area) of contact patch but it will be closer to circular in shape. This means it will deform more easily over rough road surfaces, hence rolling resistance will be reduced.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Been using 28s for a long time, on 32s now (I've got lots of clearance on the commuter).

Still on 23s on one of my other bikes, but they're Duranos and they look and feel more like 25s if not even bigger. Never tried measuring them up tho'.

Top Bottom