Anyone gone large (28mm tyres)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A couple of hours ago a delivery driver brought a pair of 28mm Durano Plus round. They are now on the Planet X Holdsworth knock-off fixer ready for work next week.

I am going to be brave and will trying to fit 35mm vittoria voyager hyper's to mine tonight. I think it could be a step too far, but let's see.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Mine is with mudguards.

35mm rubbed before I even pumped them up, wheel totally jammed when at pressure. I doubt 32mm will fit either. I will have to stick to my 28s. The brakes are the problem, not the frame. This is without mudguards.

GuyBoden

Guru
Vittoria Randonneur 700x28, £13 at Decathlon.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/700x28-randonneur-road-bike-tyre-id_8303019.html

Very comfy tyre at 28mm, with very, very good puncture resistance on the top tread, but have too thin side walls and extremely high rolling resistance. No punctures in this tyre in two years, but something could easily go through the side wall.

Interestingly, the Top Tread on the Vittoria Randonneur has a better puncture resistant score than the fabled Marathon Plus, but the side walls let it down. (Pun intended)
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance...arathon-plus-2015-vs-vittoria-randonneur-2015

Good, inexpensive tyre for an old man, such as myself, pootling around Cheshire country lanes.

Last edited:

Hopey

My bike (described as an "adventure road" bike came with 35s. Still use em, love em. Great for comfort on Edinburgh's pothold and cobble ridden streets. Thinking of downsizing to 32s or 28s when I replace the tyres. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
H

Huggis

So I just measured the 28mm GP4000 4 season on my touring bike - different rims but same spec (ETRO 622 - 17mm internal) and they come up at --- 27.7mm! vs 30.8mm on the other bike. So how can the same tyre from the same manufacturer come up so different!!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Very comfy tyre at 28mm,
How do you quantify 'comfiness'? Is this not a function of the pressure you're running them at rather than the various make/type of tyre? Perhaps I've always been spoilt with my choices or don't realise what I'm missing.
I think, for this tyre, as you highlighted, it would be fair - as journalists don't say "this tyre doesn't roll well".
£13 not well spent. What width do the 28s actually measure? I note the 37 comes in at 33mm.
Clip from review (and I know you noted this in your post):

"Rolling resistance is very, very high. At the lower end of the air pressure range, rolling resistance skyrockets to over 50 watts per tire. That's more than 100 watts for a pair of tires, this will seriously slow you down. When using these tires, you should monitor air pressures very closely. Don't let these drop under 60 psi EVER."

Ajax Bay

Guru
So I just measured the 28mm GP4000 4 season on my touring bike - different rims but same spec (ETRO 622 - 17mm internal) and they come up at --- 27.7mm! vs 30.8mm on the other bike. So how can the same tyre from the same manufacturer come up so different!!!
Likely the internal bead width is not the same even if the rims are marked as such. Measure, twice.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am running 32c Randonneurs on my best bike at the moment and I honestly think I am riding faster than ever so I don't understand where this idea that they have high drag comes from (unless I have suddenly developed absolutely awesome power)!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider

Wasn't your 30.8mm tyre a GP 4000? Presumably actually a GP 4000S II, unless bought a few years ago.......

This is a different tyre model to the GP 4-Season, and the two models suffer from the absurd inconsistency in Continental's width-labelling 'strategy', highlighted in my earlier post.

It's very unlikely that using different rims would create a 3.1mm difference in the same narrow tyre.

Top Bottom