Anyone got a resin driveway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs P thinks we need our driveway replacing.I agree it's broken paving slabs.All most of the cracked by the car.It does look a mess.So we have admired a neighbours concrete pressed drive.But ours is three times as long.I am also worried where the rainwater will go to,it might flood next doors garage.So resin is looking the best bet,water runs aay through it.So anyone got one and what faults if any should i be worried about.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wouldn't expect a resin driveway to remain porous for more than a couple of years due to silting and leaf mulch etc.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Mrs P thinks we need our driveway replacing.I agree it's broken paving slabs.All most of the cracked by the car.It does look a mess.So we have admired a neighbours concrete pressed drive.But ours is three times as long.I am also worried where the rainwater will go to,it might flood next doors garage.So resin is looking the best bet,water runs aay through it.So anyone got one and what faults if any should i be worried about.

Mrs @BoldonLad has expressed a desire for a resin drive. We have block paved drive at the moment.

I would have thought any competent drive laying Company/Tradesperson would consider drainage? We certainly have no problem with the block paved drive, installer included a drainage channel covered with grid, and "hooked in" to existing drainage system.

I think the Resin drives look vey smart, but, I would prefer to wait and see how they weather, before committing.

Our block paved drive requires minimal maintenance (which I like), I apply "Wet & Forget" once per year, to deal with the small amount of moss in the joints, and, apply kiln dried sand about once every two years.

But, all of this discussion is pointless, if Mrs P is anything like Mrs @BoldonLad, you will be having a Resin Drive ;)

keithmac

Guru
There's 3 or 4 Resin drives down our street, they all have a drain strip built in.

Seem hard wearing enough mind.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We have gravel, cheap but needs a bit of weeding.
the benefit is it is very porous.
pressed concrete looks rubbish after a few years. As above id like to see what resin looks like in 10 years time.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I work for someone who is very rich. They have had one installed. It is about 100 metres long, granite grey in colour, edged in rough granite setts.

It looks nice, but the firm who installed it didn’t dig down far enough. The edging setts are proud of the surrounding area. We have used 8 tonnes of topsoil to make it less noticeable (needed double that really). The house is near Thurlestone. The soil is the south Devon red soil. They live down a little rural lane that gets dirty in winter. Give it a few months and they’ll have two red lines running all the way down it.

Because it’s so long, with a roundabout at the house end it was put down in sections. You can see the join. You can see high and low spots in it too.

On the face of it, it looks nice, but I think It was hard to control at that size. On a normal domestic size I think it would look good.

It cost them £60k.....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I work for someone who is very rich. They have had one installed. It is about 100 metres long, granite grey in colour, edged in rough granite setts.

It looks nice, but the firm who installed it didn’t dig down far enough. The edging setts are proud of the surrounding area. We have used 8 tonnes of topsoil to make it less noticeable (needed double that really). The house is near Thurlestone. The soil is the south Devon red soil. They live down a little rural lane that gets dirty in winter. Give it a few months and they’ll have two red lines running all the way down it.

Because it’s so long, with a roundabout at the house end it was put down in sections. You can see the join. You can see high and low spots in it too.

On the face of it, it looks nice, but I think It was hard to control at that size. On a normal domestic size I think it would look good.

It cost them £60k.....
That sees stupid, its not designed that sort of scenario.
What’s the recommended weight bearing load for a resin drive way, it cant be huge.
All it will take is a massive delivery lorry dropping off some building materials and the drive will sink.

byegad

Legendary Member
I would have thought any competent drive laying Company/Tradesperson would consider drainage? We certainly have no problem with the block paved drive, installer included a drainage channel covered with grid, and "hooked in" to existing drainage system.
Edited.
You'd have thought so. But one near neighbour had the whole of his front garden done with bricks. They come up to his neighbour's house wall and have partly covered , but only partly, an air brick. As it's a bit of a slope down to this all the run off will go into the air brick so dampening the wall. Had it been my house I'd have raised holy hell.

screenman

Legendary Member
i have seen quite a bit of resin driveways done at friends places and it did not last long, the council used it on some footpaths also it was broken and missing bit in just over a year. All a bit unfortunate as I really like it, I have about 70 yards of gravel driveway with block paving for 3+ plus cars here, a Wet and Forget fan also.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Aforementioned driveway

Top Bottom