Anyone have ortlieb pannier bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Not those specifically, but I have the seatpack in the same range. Whisper light and quite tough. Top Ortlieb quality as ever. TOTALLY waterproof.

Pannier wise, I have the Classic range. Bombproof. Dull. Best though IMO, and about 15+ years old. 2 minor repairs.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had a pair of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics for about ten years. They are incredibly tough and total waterproof. The rack mounting system is brilliant and faff-free. They don't look flashy but they certainly work.

B7663FFB-E501-43F1-B52B-827667964C48.jpeg
3C6BC85A-7DA2-4478-B646-FC9BF9DCAB0B.jpeg
@stoatsngroats I really like the look of the gravel one but 25L for the pair seems a bit low.

I’m sure they’d be as great as any other iteration, I’m sure you’ll be very satisfied with the larger.
I can’t remember the sizes of those we’ve had, but I wouldn’t look at any other brand, maybe I’m a brand snob, but Ortlieb I trust!

I always thought 'roller' referred to the roll tops.
I bought a pair of Bikepacker Classics because I didn't want roll tops.
That link the the classic pro roller has a lidded top. Very confusing.

Last edited:
I have been using Ortlieb panniers since 2011, actually even earlier than that but my current set of six (I have an Extrawheel trailer) have been in use since 2011. Cannot see my changing them or replacing them in the short to medium future at least.

They have done a fair few kilometres and a lot of outback/gravel roads. They do get less use today as I do more bikepacking but still they where/are money well spent.

P82104121.jpg

robgul

Legendary Member
As suggested they have no equal - I have a pair of Back Roller Classics (with the additional external pockets), a barbag and two saddlebags - all in bright yellow for visibility - fittings are strong and easy to connect to the bike (with the exception of the barbag where it fits the rather better R&K Klikfix bracket)

Tip: These products are very often cheaper to buy from suppliers in Europe - e.g. Rose in Germany or Mantel in Holland (even factoring in the delivery cost)

Rob

Last edited:
Ortleib are standard gear for most long duration cycle tourists. Food spills can be rinsed out with a hose.
I have a pair of small ones for commuting. Do not put metal tools unprotected in the bottom of your bag and forget about them. They will wear through the material.
Does anyone know how to repair Ortleibs to waterproof small abrasion holes?

I have a pair of 20 year old Bikepacker pluses (the rear ones) and they look like new.

Also a pair of small frontroller classics which I use mostly on the back as day panniers.

Ortliebs are well worth it.

All the fittings are readily available separtely.

This and their sheer build quality makes them cheaper in the long run.

Oh I also have some old backroller classics I bought secondhand for shopping duties. Also fundtionally good as new - no idea how old those are - a decade or two.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

I just can't decide with which set to go with.
I won't be doing any touring this year.
The bags would be used for commutes, shopping and perhaps an all-day ride now and then.
Next year however I will be doing touring so they have to be spacious.
So the 70L classic seems the most suitable option, right?

Top Bottom