Anyone hear about Millars chain going bang :?:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Ok, so let me put it another way... DM (like many many others) doesn't get too many chances to win on the big stage :biggrin:, damn right he's going to be pissed off if he gets that close and something beyond his control stuffs it up for him.

They say every dog has its day but truth is most dogs run in the pack all of their lives. Those that do have their day just want another.

Perspective: ever trained for a sportive and woke up on the day with a cold? Or car broken down on the way to the start? Or punctured on the course? Your not just pissed off because, but also that you've put the effort in just to be there, the focus has been on that single day for so long.

gdean

yello said:
Ok, so let me put it another way... DM (like many many others) doesn't get too many chances to win on the big stage :biggrin:, damn right he's going to be pissed off if he gets that close and something beyond his control stuffs it up for him.

They say every dog has its day but truth is most dogs run in the pack all of their lives. Those that do have their day just want another.

Perspective: ever trained for a sportive and woke up on the day with a cold? Or car broken down on the way to the start? Or punctured on the course? Your not just pissed off because, but also that you've put the effort in just to be there, the focus has been on that single day for so long.

I remember going loopy 'cause I snapped a shoe lace just before a 25m time trial! I was a silly boy... Still did a short 57 though :smile:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Tonight I was riding along a wide cycle path - the opp. way to the traffic etc.. by a fast by-pass it was an evening 10ml TT and some bloke was walking towards me he was one of the TT'ers:

He had punctured or something from what I quickly seen as I past; now it aint a stage in the Giro but given what the TT lads put into them I felt real sorry for him - yet give him his due' he still let on through gritted teeth.

I recall riding to a Chaingang in Warrington one year high summer and got a puncture kept it together as I was doing the mechanising of the bike and not some mechanic or had anohter on a car for use etc...

>DanRVV2006 - youve got to realise the importance of the Giro to these lads: its life or death and to win a stage is one step ahead of life...: its the meaning of life !

And so, to fail when that step is being conquered: well you can hopefully only imagine... Mondo sums it up perfectly for me !

DanRVV2006

i have no doubt millar was on form and was probs guan win but he is a tool and no1 cn see it! You are to caught up in he is BRITISH! if an italian had done what he had done you wouldnt defend him would you? and what he did with his bike shows beacuse other top pros dont react like that for example Leif Hoste at this years Tour of Flanders had a mechanical at a crucial moment he couldnt get a new bike from a teammate so he had to wait for his team car in doing so he missed the break and lost the race probably the most important race to him of the year, yet i didnt see him throwing his bike into the fans!
I have just found this vid where Bettini has a mechanical on the climb as he accelrates, yes he pissed off and throws his bike but not over the barrier or near where the crowd are which is how a PRO should act IMO.
Its at about 3mins 10seconds

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F02rfA6lqA

slimreaper

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTKaDmUr1w

Hi
the link above clearly shows Millar hoiking his bike over the barrier. He was between 2 "fans" who were about 10metres either side of him, and he was stood right next to the barrier, and therefore could see what was on the other side (looked like a big drop to me). Whether you think it is right or wrong of him to do it is one thing, but I don't think the safety of the spectators is an issue here.
If I was in his position I would have set fire to the bloody thing aswell ;)
Cheers
Andy

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Looks to me like his wheel wobbles or maybe this is just the film..though his chain was on the floor thereafter !

I had a discussion with a cycling friend of mine last wk about how strong components are and how they seem to be only fit for sponsored riders as they can fail quite easily and so replaced easily too without payment !!!

yello

DanRVV2006 said:
if an italian had done what he had done you wouldnt defend him would you?

It's neither defending nor attacking, it's understanding and appreciating. Different people will react differently, that's no surprise. So, yes, I would understand it if an Italian rider hurled his bike in anger. To be honest, I'd expect it of an Italian rider! ;)

DanRVV2006

Its about setting examples tho and its not great for a youngster to c him throwing over the barrier its a bit OTT! It common knowledge that younger people copy idols and with millar being a focal point of British cycling he should lead by example! Thats what i think is wrong with the situation. not about hitting spectators or what race he was in thats no matter its about his actions and attitude, and how other PROS handle the situation relativly calmly and how he didnt! Beacause he is representing us as Britains its not a great image to portray! As you just metioned YELLO you would expect an Italian to throw the bike beacuse thats how you portray them, tbh i dont want british portrayed like that.

And your comment Yenrod, my dad reckons the new campag record carbon 10 speed groupset is far more fragile that the old 9 speed record carbon groupset, he actualy prefers the 9 speed because the 10 feels like it could break any minute. IMO companys are trying to make things to lite and in doing so the components dont wear aswell as before. But ist ok for PROS they dont have to pay to replace.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

DanRVV2006 said:
Its about setting examples tho and its not great for a youngster to c him throwing over the barrier its a bit OTT! It common knowledge that younger people copy idols and with millar being a focal point of British cycling he should lead by example! Thats what i think is wrong with the situation. not about hitting spectators or what race he was in thats no matter its about his actions and attitude, and how other PROS handle the situation relativly calmly and how he didnt! Beacause he is representing us as Britains its not a great image to portray! As you just metioned YELLO you would expect an Italian to throw the bike beacuse thats how you portray them, tbh i dont want british portrayed like that.

And your comment Yenrod, my dad reckons the new campag record carbon 10 speed groupset is far more fragile that the old 9 speed record carbon groupset, he actualy prefers the 9 speed because the 10 feels like it could break any minute. IMO companys are trying to make things to lite and in doing so the components dont wear aswell as before. But ist ok for PROS they dont have to pay to replace.[/QUOTE]

At last someone else has noticed this too !

mondobongo

Über Member
Dan get off Millar's back will you, a bit of passion was shown end of. Its obvious you don't like him. As for a role model he's far better than any footballer etc.

DanRVV2006

mondobongo said:
Dan get off Millar's back will you, a bit of passion was shown end of. Its obvious you don't like him. As for a role model he's far better than any footballer etc.

he may be better than any footballer but how can he be a role model in cycling?
This letter here sums everything up imo. Its from http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters.php?id=letters/2008/05-15letters .

Basso gets a contract

I absolutely agree David Millar is a disgrace to the sport, the fact he is allowed to wear the British national champion's jerseys for both road and time trials really sticks in my throat. The guy puts himself on a pedestal making out he is some goody two shoes reformed druggie and thinks it's acceptable. Worst still English speaking magazine hold the bloke up as some kind of doping 'guru' and allow him endless pages of preaching. Well let's remind everybody..... A leopard never changes the colour of its spots!!
As for Liquigas, obviously a case of contractual suicide here once the ball gathers pace are their sponsors going to stay? As for tearing up the ethical code, can't see ASO accepting this one come Tour time. What are their management thinking? Or is it a short cut for Liquigas to leave the sport?
It appears to me cycling has its head in sand and loves making a fool of itself.
Ian Watts
England
Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tetedelacourse

Millar throwing his bike over a barrier is petulant and unprofessional and IMO not how a professional athlete should conduct himself, regardless of the situation. He's always been like that.

Not to be confused with Dan's POV that he is a lycra-clad hypocrit. He has as much right to race as anyone else Dan, given the current rules. You don't like it, criticise the rules, not the man who is currently operating within them.

As for the comparison with any pro footballers, come off it. Uncalled for snobbery / elitism / bias which adds nothing to the subject.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Dan, get real - the deal is as has been pointed out he's done his time: and I dont know if you've noticed but some blokes get a bit irate during exercise whether equipment goes tits up or not so chill man because been sentenced done it and is now a changed man !

Its minor thing but believe me fighting or acting proper for the flag, whatever thats worth, (**** all in my eyes - as my life is far more important) is minor compared to just seeing things as they really are.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would like all my athletes to be free from emotion. so when they win i would like a little 'tiger tim' wave of their hand to show they feel they've done well.
And when things go wrong, and they miss their dream by seconds, a slight shrug of the shoulder will do.

anything more i will be most dis-pleased. Of course i will keep any emotions hidden for fear of expressing the fact i'm human.

Top Bottom