Anyone heard of this "Turf" game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Well I've had two visitors to my area plus my local rival take over 60 of my zones today. I'll get a few back but there's only a week left before re-sent and it's getting warmer so it'll be a Turf break for me.

I prefer long rides on sunny days to dodgy back streets.
I think I'm the same which means I'll capture a few on my commute rides but weekends I'll still be heading out country. :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've just drawn a circle on a map, area 452 sq kilometres centred on my house. It contains just 2 Turf zones, and the new zones I proposed haven't been added.

Can't see me playing this game unless shedloads of zones are added.

Slick

Guru
I've just drawn a circle on a map, area 452 sq kilometres centred on my house. It contains just 2 Turf zones, and the new zones I proposed haven't been added.

Can't see me playing this game unless shedloads of zones are added.
Lots of areas like that up here as well away from the major cities. I can only assume it's a work in progress based on population density.

lazybloke

Lots of areas like that up here as well away from the major cities. I can only assume it's a work in progress based on population density.
The centre of Surrey is hardly a remote area - I thought zones might appear more quickly.
Woking has a cluster of zones, but the city of Guildford had none, nor to many towns/villages in the county.

Interesting that my suggested zones were rejected; they were in openly accessible common land ; popular areas for walking & cycling.
Yet if you head north towards London you'll approx 20 zones in Richmond Park and immediate surroundings, 5 in the vicinity of Wimbledon Common, and about 17 in the the privately-owned Kew Gardens!
Suppose the difference is they closer to urban populations.

The centre of Surrey is hardly a remote area - I thought zones might appear more quickly.
Woking has a cluster of zones, but the city of Guildford had none, nor to many towns/villages in the county.

Interesting that my suggested zones were rejected; they were in openly accessible common land ; popular areas for walking & cycling.
Yet if you head north towards London you'll approx 20 zones in Richmond Park and immediate surroundings, 5 in the vicinity of Wimbledon Common, and about 17 in the the privately-owned Kew Gardens!
Suppose the difference is they closer to urban populations.
Did they give a reason for rejecting your suggested zones? If not, that's pretty poor, IMO.

I rode through West Sussex and a corner of Surrey a little over a decade ago and with all the little villages dotted around I cannot see any reason why the area is almost entirely devoid of zones. Worth it just to have a zone in Cocking :whistle::biggrin:

lazybloke

Did they give a reason for rejecting your suggested zones? If not, that's pretty poor, IMO.

I rode through West Sussex and a corner of Surrey a little over a decade ago and with all the little villages dotted around I cannot see any reason why the area is almost entirely devoid of zones. Worth it just to have a zone in Cocking :whistle::biggrin:
I'd never heard of the place, might visit for an ABC challenge

Never even got an acknowledgement for the zones I submitted, let alone a rejection or explanation.
I like the idea but reckon you should be able to create your own zones in some manner

I'd never heard of the place, might visit for an ABC challenge

Never even got an acknowledgement for the zones I submitted, let alone a rejection or explanation.
I like the idea but reckon you should be able to create your own zones in some manner
I enjoyed the South Downs, a nice change of pace and scenery from what I'm used to. Lots of blanket forest, plus I ended up meeting someone who grew up maybe a quarter of a mile from where I sit now, and who owned a pub in a village the name of which is now lost to me, so I recommend it. No idea where I went except that I went through Haslemere and Basingstoke and somehow ended up in the Cotswolds. The joys of touring without a map in the pre-smartphone era.

As for Turf, if you've not received any feedback, are you sure they were rejected? As I say, there will be a big backlog since it has exploded in popularity in the UK.

In other news, I've lost 10 zones in the past hour. I wasn't planning on going out today as I'm still broken from Sunday's effort, but clearly these people haven't seen me play a strategy game before. I will gladly sacrifice my own campaign to make sure that my enemies fail.

lazybloke

I enjoyed the South Downs, a nice change of pace and scenery from what I'm used to. Lots of blanket forest, plus I ended up meeting someone who grew up maybe a quarter of a mile from where I sit now, and who owned a pub in a village the name of which is now lost to me, so I recommend it. No idea where I went except that I went through Haslemere and Basingstoke and somehow ended up in the Cotswolds. The joys of touring without a map in the pre-smartphone era.

As for Turf, if you've not received any feedback, are you sure they were rejected? As I say, there will be a big backlog since it has exploded in popularity in the UK.

In other news, I've lost 10 zones in the past hour. I wasn't planning on going out today as I'm still broken from Sunday's effort, but clearly these people haven't seen me play a strategy game before. I will gladly sacrifice my own campaign to make sure that my enemies fail.
South Downs > Basingstoke > Cotswolds. Sounds like great roaming (apart from Basingstoke)

South Downs > Basingstoke > Cotswolds. Sounds like great roaming (apart from Basingstoke)
The only memory I have of Basingstoke was roundabouts. I think I arrived in late afternoon? Looking at the map none of the names ring a bell except that I know that I didn't go to Farnham or Farnborough because I knew those names before the trip. And somehow I ended up in Stow-on-the-Wold because I had it in my head that Fosse meant ditch/moat and therefore the Fosse Way would be flat (it wasn't.)

Now my most recent memories of cycling involve burned out cars and bins, thanks to turf. :biggrin:

Out on Friday and today. Not feeling it at all, for a number of reasons.

With the the new round and all the prolific turfers up here taking part in the Scotland vs Skåne challenge it removes the competitive urge.
Worse still is my new medication's adjustment phase, the side effects are that I'm sleeping 14 hours a day and a zombie for the rest of the time - as weak as kitten.

It's still a fun idea though, hopefully I'll get my mojo back, but bleh

Slick

Guru
Lost all my zones in the space of a couple of days I couldn't get out. I was a bit suspicious of my latest attempt that saw me gain 30 odd zones without reply until I realised that the bew round starts tomorrow so nobody is too bothered right now. Apparently I'm winning this months regional league but one thing that did confuse me was an invite to join a group with people I don't know. I accepted but can't really figure out what that's all about. Anyone do group thingy's? :huh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been doing a bit to stay in the same league, but having found myself at the top, am doing a bit more to get promoted then nothing next month. I worked out I need a minimum of 30,000 points to avoid being relegated but have over 80,000 which should keep me in the top 2 this month.

Met another Turfer today. He's been coming to my area from his and has lots of zones. Saw him out and caught up; he's another cyclist and we've riders in common that we know.

Top Bottom