Anyone here have a clue about underfloor heating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Because I don't. And it's freezing :sad:.

Bit of background: I burst a pipe earlier this year, fixed it, drained and refilled the whole CH system a couple of times. Refilled/bled all the radiators. All kushti. Completely forgot about the underfloor heating in the kitchen, which we've never touched since it was installed 10+ years ago, and now the kitchen's like a morgue.

I presume I have to 'bleed the radiator' or something, but I'm looking at controls that are completely foreign to me, so I was hoping there might be someone hereabouts who might be able to tell me what to twiddle and that.

What looks to me like the main flight deck looks like this:
UFH1.jpg

...the full monte looking like this:

UFH2.jpg

Is it perhaps as simple as using that Big Red Tap to let water into the system, as I had to do on the main system? If so, how do I know when's 'enough'? Or what? Like I say, I really haven't a clue, so any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

si_c

Guru
Looks like there are two radiator bleed-type ports on the right hand side of each loop (I'm assuming the top is the cold and bottom the hot side).

I'd turn the heating on (including the underfloor) and try bleeding the system as a starter.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Looks like there are two radiator bleed-type ports on the right hand side of each loop (I'm assuming the top is the cold and bottom the hot side).

I'd turn the heating on (including the underfloor) and try bleeding the system as a starter.

Thanks a lot! That makes sense. When you say ports, are these the fellers you're talking about?

1670870270505.png

So it would be a matter of turning those taps (like using a radiator key) to let water into the system, topping up using the main inlet valve thingy?

Assuming yes (and if not, please say!), any thoughts on which to do first?

Thanks again.

CXRAndy

Guru
It's 3 port flow and return, with only two ports used. The pump attached pumps water around the two circuits. You could switch off the two valves near the pump side. Attached a hose to the other end that are currently capped off. Pump water in and let it flow out of the other valve until no bubbles are seen. I would feed it from hot side, being on the lower side.

Close off the fill valves and reopen the flow return valves.

Then just ensure the pump works when powered up. Put a screwdriver to your ear and press it on the pump - you will hear it spinning

Btw underfloor heating is awesome. Had on our last house throughout. Our farmhouse renovation will have it too when we've finished

newts

Veteran
It's 3 port flow and return, with only two ports used. The pump attached pumps water around the two circuits. You could switch off the two valves near the pump side. Attached a hose to the other end that are currently capped off. Pump water in and let it flow out of the other valve until no bubbles are seen. I would feed it from hot side, being on the lower side.

Close off the fill valves and reopen the flow return valves.

Then just ensure the pump works when powered up. Put a screwdriver to your ear and press it on the pump - you will hear it spinning

Btw underfloor heating is awesome. Had on our last house throughout. Our farmhouse renovation will have it too when we've finished
The valve above the pump in the op's picture is a thermostatic blending/mixing valve, not a divertor (mixes flow from boiler & return pipe). Underfloor heating circuits run on a much lower temp than normal radiator circuits.

Lookrider

Theres likely a bleed on the pump as well
May look like a chrome disc 20mm in diameter with a slot through
If so just loosen slightly with a flat head driver until water trickles out

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all.

Ok, following the vid, I've 'bled' ...but the gauges all remain resolutely on zero, which I can't help feeling can't be right...

1670930010685.png

Also, I notice that the main CH pressure gauge hasn't changed...which gives me pause, because whenever I bleed radiators I have to let more mains water into the system to get the pressure back up.

Oh, and I can't feel the pump working. It's hot - uncomfortably hot, in truth - but I can't feel any internal vibrations or anything else to suggest that there's pumping going on.

One other thing - there's nothing in the vid about re-sealing the valve-thingies when you're done - these things:

1670930208051.png

Are they like regular radiator bleed valves - ie, loosen to bleed, then retighten when done?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Have you checked the valves are not stuck? Sometimes when you isolate the plastic spins but the valve doesn’t close/open

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you checked the valves are not stuck? Sometimes when you isolate the plastic spins but the valve doesn’t close/open

The 'zone valve' things, as in the pic above your post, seem to me to be working fine - all turning very smoothly and feeling 'right'. Indeed, everything I've twiddled so far at least feels like it's working as it should.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Oh, and I can't feel the pump working. It's hot - uncomfortably hot, in truth - but I can't feel any internal vibrations or anything else to suggest that there's pumping going on.
Pumps do run very hot as there’s no external cooling fan. The windings are usually rated at 140 C . If you put a large screwdrivers with the blade on the chrome button at the back of the pump body and your ear on the other end you should hear a faint whirring sound as mentioned by others. You could try giving the pump body a few gentle wacks.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ok, thanks for staying with me :hello:.

No smell of burning. That's good, right? :whistle:

But the floor remains cold. :sad:

And the lady of the house remains unhappy. :cry:

Ok, so my setup doesn't look quite like the one in the video, but similar enough that on the top (blue) pipes, I've taken off the caps and loosened the central stem 'till the threads show'. The bottom (red) pipe, I can't get at anything obvious to turn - the gauges being in the way.

1670945424032.png

I can't help feeling it must be something to do with a lack of pressure in the system, dating back to when I drained everything down.

I know the right hand one is redundant - it's not connected to anything down below - but looking at the gauges

1670945566030.png

...that has to mean litres per minute, I'm guessing. So the fact that both LH & centre gauge are on plumb zero makes me :scratch:

Oh, and...
Pumps do run very hot as there’s no external cooling fan. The windings are usually rated at 140 C . If you put a large screwdrivers with the blade on the chrome button at the back of the pump body and your ear on the other end you should hear a faint whirring sound as mentioned by others. You could try giving the pump body a few gentle wacks.

I can't actually get to the back of the pump - it's fixed to the wall at the back of a cupboard - but if I put the blade of a large screwdriver to it, and the other end to my ear, I can hear/feel a distinct hum that to me feels like it could easily be a pump pumping. (I have a fish tank, so I is an expert.)

Bottom line, I don't know, maybe it is the pump. If anything is responsible for the L/min flow rate, I guess it's the pump. I don't know.

Anyway, any thoughts, I'm all ears :hello: - and thanks again.

Top Bottom