Anyone know someone who's xl bully has been affected by the law that came into effect today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Great at keeping grass short as well
and tasty!!

Unlike dogs who tend to "make a mess" on the lawn and eating them is frowned upon in most places!

We used to get ducks visiting our garden and they can compete with dogs for mess. Geese are even bigger and living alongside a canal with swans with size comes increased mess so expect to shovel the mess up if you get a flock of guard geese.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
There was a recent xl bully attack. Two of them killed someone.

Imho that makes what that bully apologist on TV last week said seem even more a pile of steaming BS! Not companion dogs they're fighting dogs. Put them all down now! Whether bad owners or bad dogs they're a danger and are killing people. Why would you want such a dog in the first place?

Jameshow

Veteran

Imho that makes what that bully apologist on TV last week said seem even more a pile of steaming BS! Not companion dogs they're fighting dogs. Put them all down now! Whether bad owners or bad dogs they're a danger and are killing people. Why would you want such a dog in the first place?

Poor man's SUV!

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Aah but no! A lot of the bully apologists on TV when the ban was first announced as going ahead all seemed to be nice, middle class, well to do women with nice houses. It was only on the eve of the ban coming into effect did you get a black woman who could have been working class but looked like her dog training business was doing well if her nice clothes indicated something.

There was none of this shaven headed thug wannabe owners from dodgy neighbourhoods! That's not to say what the reality of the bully owners might be, just the seemingly BBC and itv news seemingly saw fit to present the owners as perfectly acceptable dog owners so the dogs must be too!

vickster

Legendary Member
Aah but no! A lot of the bully apologists on TV when the ban was first announced as going ahead all seemed to be nice, middle class, well to do women with nice houses. It was only on the eve of the ban coming into effect did you get a black woman who could have been working class but looked like her dog training business was doing well if her nice clothes indicated something.

There was none of this shaven headed thug wannabe owners from dodgy neighbourhoods! That's not to say what the reality of the bully owners might be, just the seemingly BBC and itv news seemingly saw fit to present the owners as perfectly acceptable dog owners so the dogs must be too!

The bloke who allegedly owned the two dogs who killed the woman (his MIL) in Essex looks like exactly the sort you’d expect to own these animals, and not a middle class woman
Jaywick dog attack: Family angry at conditions pets kept in https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-68200737

vickster

Legendary Member

They haven’t actually confirmed they were XL bully dogs if you mean the attack in Essex, sounds like they may well have been tho

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
That's the big issue with types and breeds of dogs (the former being like a breed that's not been recognised as such). Before officialdom can apply the law fully they need to determine if it was an XL bully or other breed/type affected by dangerous dog legislation. Cue vets who are basically scientists who won't definitely say what they were unless they have the solid evidence backing it.

Without that pronouncement from the chosen experts the officialdom won't act for fear of court action. We're a nation of dog owners such that dogs that attack and kill cannot be summarily put down without cover in one form or another.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's the big issue with types and breeds of dogs (the former being like a breed that's not been recognised as such). Before officialdom can apply the law fully they need to determine if it was an XL bully or other breed/type affected by dangerous dog legislation. Cue vets who are basically scientists who won't definitely say what they were unless they have the solid evidence backing it.

Without that pronouncement from the chosen experts the officialdom won't act for fear of court action. We're a nation of dog owners such that dogs that attack and kill cannot be summarily put down without cover in one form or another.

The ones that killed the woman were very swiftly destroyed by police and presumably now being examined by veterinary experts to determine what offence(s) the owner (who’s been bailed) might have committed.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I am truly astonished that the BBC didn't interview any people like that - I cannot think why they would avoid such subjects. :headshake:

That's my point, were they trying to do a PR job on XLbullys? Make it look like the government are being unreasonable with targeting such a dangerous dog? ITV interviewed the same people too.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Suppose it's who puts there head above the parapet to be interviewed. The arch typical owner is hardly going to come forward.

I always assumed that BBCITV had a team who’s task it was to find, and wheel out, suitable candidates for interview under various circumstances

In my opinion they probably are XL Bully type dogs
or at least look like it

If they looked like spaniels or greyhounds then I reckon they would have said by now

but if they are possibly/probably a banned dog - or a dog that has to be registered - then they will be able to charge him
but they might be wary of doing anything to accuse him before they have proper evidence rather than what the dogs looked like

And - apparently - he kept them in a cage and used them in a rap video
Yeh - they ain't gonna be shih-tzus are they

gbb

Legendary Member
Looking back, I do wonder if there was a 'charm offensive ' with these dogs, assumedly by their devotees etc (with hindsight)
My son's former partner has a cross bully, head like a football, but extremely muscular and slim, a beautiful dog, very good family pet. This peaked my interest in XLs because I like big dogs.
But some of them are simply monstrously big, beyond the pail.
It made us ask ourselves, how was it they were vaunted as extremely loyal, loving, non violent dogs...and yet there was a sudden mini explosion of attacks. As above, I suspect it was all bolliks spouted by the devotees.

Friend of ours had a litter of XLs and struggled to shift them as soon as they troubles started, let alone once the laws were passed.

Good job I say. I agree it's owners that are the problem for the most part and yet you must accept sometimes its the dog. We've had 4 labradors, all have been fabulous family pets and yet our current choc has been by far and away the worst to train. Very difficult to get him to heel, trys to jump up to greet people, he's so overcome by almost ecstatic emotion that's he's mildly out of control.
My fault ? Partly of course, but he's different than the others but been treated no differently. Change that ecstatic behaviour to aggression, you can see why some well meaning people fail.

Top Bottom