Anyone know someone who's xl bully has been affected by the law that came into effect today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ban on xl bully dogs unless licensed, muzzled / on a lead in public and insured I believe became effective today. I haven't even seen one around here. I just wondered if anyone knows anyone with one who's had to go through the extra steps to keep their dog? If you do then where do they live? City / large town / urban areas or countryside? What sort of neighbourhood, as in deprived through to wealthy areas?

I'm curious because I've just realised that when TV news interviews owners they've gone to more town or city places to interview owners on their patch. Is it mostly an urban dog breed?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Never seen one round these parts. It’s all cockapoos and sausage dogs. And my chihuahua which should be subject to some kind of dangerous breed legislation!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't really know him, but there's a guy locally with a female XL bully who I see about walking her, and whom I stop and chat too sometimes.

Round here I see a lot of people with bull type dogs
a lot look a bit like a Staffy but more bulky and powerful

probably not an XL Bully as they are not that big

but I do wonder why people want that type of dog in the first place
drug dealers and people who are scared of their neighbours I can understand (but not approve of)
but I have seen normal people out walking them with their family
and quite a large percentage of the dog owners sometimes

I did see a dog when I was riding along a canal path - it was in the garden on the otherside looking away from me
it look MASSIVE
If that got hold of anyone they would be in big trouble

not seen anything else that looked like that one - or even close

but maybe that is the problem - they are not being taken for walks
which will mess up any dog
IMO

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
A lady in TV defending xl bullies was saying that they were not bred as fighting dogs or protection dogs but as companion dogs. Pull the other one it has bells on!

Bullies and especially xl bullies, which are just larger examples of bullies, are simply bred from fighting dog breeds to get around bans on certain fighting dog breeds. They mixed the banned breeds with non- banned breeds in order to claim under the law their fighting dog type was not one of the banned breeds. Now they are banned the breeders will just breed these dogs to maintain their fighting dog characteristics but not match type or breed characteristics of banned dogs.

I'm sorry but imho excessively strong dogs with wide and powerful Jaws should be banned rather than specific breeds or types. There is no safe fighting dog breed or type. It's not that they are dangerous in themselves due to good ownership but it's the potential that's the issue. 50 or 60kg dogs that might have the bite force not far behind that of big cats (it's related to width of jaw I once heard), add in the fact that they have a high resistance to pain and locking Jaws and you have a potential deadly weapon. I'm 90kg and I would not expect to do well if one of these xl bullies attacked me. Bear in mind these dogs with a locked in bite will be very hard to separate from their victim. I've heard of cases where a smaller staffie couldn't be forced to release even with a metal bar in one attack. That's shocking imho and why I think we need to end this situation.

Muzzle, lead, insurance, criminal conviction with serious sentences if they attack, neuter, chipped and fully registered. Not allowed near kids or places kids might be. In fact complete draconian controls.

I knew of someone obsessed with these dogs long before most people had heard of bullies. He'd had one put down as dangerous breed, was fired and banned from owning dogs. He got another one! He got so paranoid that the police were watching him he stopped taking this dog out. In the end he persuaded someone with a farm to hide it for him. The farmers had dogs and made sure they were locked away when this dog got exercised. The farmers were more than a little worried by this dog even though it presented as a good tempered dog but it showed signs of stress such that they never exercised it on their own or near other animals. They eventually told him to take it back and he ended up passing it on to someone else. Not the dog or owner you'd like living near you with or without muzzle, lead, insurance, etc.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've heard of cases where a smaller staffie couldn't be forced to release even with a metal bar in one attack. That's shocking imho and why I think we need to end this situation.
I worked at an Animal Rescue for 6 months and whilst there was told of a way to get Staffies to release the lock, apparently you moisten a finger and stick it up the dogs bum, whether this leads to you being bitten or not was never explained and thankfully I've never had to put it into practice.

Jody

Stubborn git
I know a few people with XL's and the majority of them are "family" dogs. They will have had them registered but aren't happy about them being muzzled and the law change but it's all the nasty tories fault. There are people renting out enclosed fields so they can walk them in private without a muzzle :rolleyes:

Personally, I think a lot of these big dogs are an accident waiting to happen and welcomed the ban on XL's.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My niece has two pocket bullies (shorter version) and I think these fall into the rules. I've not asked her. Her partner got them for 'protection' whilst he's working away (long distance truck driver).

The thing is these things, especially the XL, are incredibly strong - I saw one attack a spaniel for no reason last summer and the owner struggled to get the thing off the poor dog - I was about to launch my heavy MTB at it. I've also stroked another, that was clearly very well trained, but it 'took' the owner for a walk, and he wasn't a small bloke.

We all know the issue is training, but that won't change. Owners are often lazy, You can get little 'sheite' yappy dogs that are down right nasty (due to poor training), but at least you can give it a good goal kick. You can't stop XL bullies.

About a year ago I had to get a friend's terrier off another friends cat (it sadly had to be put down). Didn't know the dog myself, but I was at least able to pin it down, and shove my thumbs into it's throat each side, which caused it to let go, then I pinned it to the ground - that's not happening with a big dog. Thinking back, this was a huge risk to me as my face wasn't far from the dog's jaws.

All for the ban. Personally I'd put the owners down.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I worked at an Animal Rescue for 6 months and whilst there was told of a way to get Staffies to release the lock, apparently you moisten a finger and stick it up the dogs bum, whether this leads to you being bitten or not was never explained and thankfully I've never had to put it into practice.

We’ve got an XL Bobbie who doesn’t like letting go of Maisy Mouse, I might try a finger up his bum😳

IMG_8342.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I know a few people with XL's and the majority of them are "family" dogs. They will have had them registered but aren't happy about them being muzzled and the law change but it's all the nasty tories fault. There are people renting out enclosed fields so they can walk them in private without a muzzle :rolleyes:

Personally, I think a lot of these big dogs are an accident waiting to happen and welcomed the ban on XL's.

I thought you were about to argue that these powerful dogs are family dogs, so called nanny dogs, but then I read your whole post and spotted the family in quotation marks.

Imho these dogs are about the potential for harm that their body structure presents. IIRC the xl bully was bred from us bull terriers and mixed with other fighting dog breeds to get around dangerous dog restrictions or potential bans. They not just bred to be outside the breed/type specifications of the original feed breeds but also to be bigger, stronger and with more muscle / myscle tone. Imho that reads as more dangerous. They also bred in more aggression to other dogs, but tried to not breed this in towards humans.

I got that from a US dog association website. In the USA there is the main kennel club but there's I think two ones that split off from the original. One of those is the only dog club in the world to formally recognise xl bullies as a breed with a full breed standard. Iirc I read the aggression to dogs in that club's breed standard.

So I what way are they bred to be companion dogs? That's what the so called dog expert and definite xl bully apologist said on the news channels yesterday, that they were bred as companion dogs. I claim BS on that. They're fighting dogs bred to create a more dangerous breed that escapes the specifications needed to be subject to breed bans in the past. Imho this is just closing those loopholes in a non uniform way. The original feed breeds were outright banned, this type or breed should be too!

Jody

Stubborn git
I thought you were about to argue that these powerful dogs are family dogs, so called nanny dogs, but then I read your whole post and spotted the family in quotation marks.

To me having one round a family is like leaving a loaded gun on the side. Irrelevant of it's temperament.

Some people give them roids and protein powder so they can pull weight to bulk up. Absolutely lethal combination.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Sorry it's not about training, certainly not the dogs, it's about potential for harm. You cannot walk a lion down the street for a very good reason. Whilst potentially not as dangerous as a lion an XL bully is dangerous enough to kill anyone.

Other large breeds can kill too like the rottweiler, but these are in a different class of dog. They're protection and herding dogs in origin, not fighting dogs. There's a long history to Rotties being originally brought to Germany by Romans in AD74 apparently. They were driving dogs that also protected the herding, later to guard the Romans too.

All dogs have capability to harm and to act randomly in an aggressive manner. You should not leave any dog alone with young children and even larger ones alone with anyone not able to control them I reckon. I do not believe anyone can fully control a large fighting dog breed so I do not believe those breeds should even exist except in history books.

People who get them "for protection" are being either dumb or lying

if you want a dog for protection then you need one that will firstly go crazy baking and making LOADS of noise to warn you of the problem first and potentially get the potential intruder to leave

Such as an Alsatian (GSD in new money) or Dobermann maybe
not an attack dog

I used to have an Alsatian - if someone knocked on the door or walked up the drive then she would tell me immediately and make lots of noise
she would also dash back and forth between the "possible threat" and me to make sure I knew about the problem
OK - the problem might be a very threatening trespassing in her garden - or worse still a fox but that is what was needed

a dog that will attack at first sight is not what you need

BTW - I saw what a small female Alsatian's jaws can do to a marrow bone - the score marks down the bone were scary - and her bite strength was probably much less that an XL Bully!

(BTW - I didn;t get her for protection)

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
To me having one round a family is like leaving a loaded gun on the side. Irrelevant of it's temperament.

Some people give them roids and protein powder so they can pull weight to bulk up. Absolutely lethal combination.

Shocked by the roids thing. But doesn't surprise me. The area my old job was in had issues with roid use. Then they shut the gym down where they got it from. But roids to dangerous dog breeds absolutely shocks me!

I knew a guy who had an English bull terrier, the smallish white ones with the evil looking, long, downwards pointing muzzle with the pink bit near the nose. His dog just grew to be a lot bigger than the breed standard despite being full generational KC registered ancestry from a good breeder. My border terrier is too big for her breed standard so it's not uncommon.

Anyway this guy hoped to breed it with another pedigree registered dog because of its good ancestry. However where he lived it wasn't the greatest of areas to live in and it had the lads with big dogs issues going on. Anyway he kept being asked if he'd let it service others females to get bigger dogs. These were wanting to get his dogs oversized genes into their fighting dog xbreeds! He said no and eventually passed his dog on to a reputable breeder in another area because he was afraid they'd just nick his dog and breed larger, aggressive dogs off it. A very responsible guy who got a jrt instead I think.

There's too much irresponsibility around dog ownership. Whether that's big, dangerous dog ownership or little, snappy, untrained chihuahua dog ownership. Level of potential harm is different but the poor quality owners are about the same level.

Top Bottom