Anyone know someone who's xl bully has been affected by the law that came into effect today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Pointless legislation, there are still pitbulls about or "types". Who the feck is going to enforce the legislation....utter dogshite.
My ex had one, my eldest son said it was a nice dog but they put zero training into it and it turned into a huge teenager none of them could really handle so it got passed to a farm, fast forward and it's been passed on again as the farmer couldn't be arsed with the headache, he wanted a big scary dog that kept gypsies away....having footpaths on his land it was a liability.
Sadly there are nice dogs about but moron owners along with moron breeders....they'll move onto another breed....I predict the Cane Corso soon enough.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Problem is, with 'bullies' (and that's all of them) there has been a lot of inbreeding - mentioned it earlier that nearly all bullies in UK can be traced back to one male.

Jody

Stubborn git
Pointless legislation, there are still pitbulls about or "types". Who the feck is going to enforce the legislation....utter dogshite.

Pitbulls are a banned breed. There may be a few about but a lot less than if the sale was legal.

It's also about prosecution after an even rather than enforcement.

Hicky

Guru
Pitbulls are a banned breed. There may be a few about but a lot less than if the sale was legal.

It's also about prosecution after an even rather than enforcement.

100% however banning them years ago "should" mean there are none left. That isn't the case, the state/cps etc have no stomach for enforcing nor prosecuting anyone unless an injury has occurred.

Jody

Stubborn git
100% however banning them years ago "should" mean there are none left. That isn't the case, the state/cps etc have no stomach for enforcing nor prosecuting anyone unless an injury has occurred.

Same with pistols, drugs or anything that is illegal.

Fact remains there are far fewer of them after the law change than if it were left legal, which is a good thing. Sentencing is also harsher.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I used to work with people who could get an illegal firearm with just a couple of calls. I also knew people who could supply illegal breeds of dogs. Passing a law usually reduces the incidence but never eliminates. It's naive to think prohibition ever works 100%..

BTW my great, great grandma (or just one great I can't remember) made good money from illicit alcohol during prohibition era America. Possibly down to the fact she supplied the judges, prosecutor, police as well as Joe public in the town. She was a little old lady at the time so could put on an innocent face I guess too.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Geese!

Are terrific 'watchdogs'. They 'imprint' humans very early in their life and remember the imprinted individuals indefinitely and totally ignore them.

Anyone else intruding on their patch they will honk and holler at very loudly.

Their night vision is way better than humans and they cannot be bribed with food - unlike dogs.

We have the Romans to thank for this insight. They used them to guard all manner of properties from weathy homes to forts.

Hiram Walker distillers had geese at a warehouse site remote from the distillery. Their purpose was to detect and it was believed to attack intruders.

postman

Legendary Member
Two days ago i walked out of our local offy carrying my dry cleaned trousers on a hanger.Just as a thick set dog with a muzzle on came to the door with it's owner.Straight away it began smelling me,i think it must have got a wiff of the dry cleaning.Now seeing it's muzzled i just walked on.But what if i was an older frailer person the owner should have pulled it away from me.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
You are not allowed to wear armour in Parliament
This is so effective that no-one has been arrested with it for centuries

Aah but how do you know it is effective if nobody has tried it? It is possible that you could walk in with armour on and not get arrested. Just because nobody breaks the law doesn't mean it's effective.

Now you could test the effectiveness of the law by repeatedly going into parliament in armour. Would that prove effectiveness of that law or other laws relating to unauthorised access to parliament?

Sorry to be pedantic but an unused law isn't effective just unused, possibly because other ones are more relevant and prevents the unused one from being applied.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aah but how do you know it is effective if nobody has tried it? It is possible that you could walk in with armour on and not get arrested. Just because nobody breaks the law doesn't mean it's effective.

Now you could test the effectiveness of the law by repeatedly going into parliament in armour. Would that prove effectiveness of that law or other laws relating to unauthorised access to parliament?

Sorry to be pedantic but an unused law isn't effective just unused, possibly because other ones are more relevant and prevents the unused one from being applied.

Think he was jesting...or should that be jousting? :scratch:

Top Bottom