anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That was the big problem, and why many people accept death, injury and carnage on the roads, as no matter how culpable the participants it was a case of "It was an accident", and therefore we don't need to either learn from it or take responsibility for the actions leading up to the incident

An accident is "unexpected" or "unintentional"

If someone does something stupid then they shoukd "expect" something to go wrong and the use of the word "accident" is inappropriate

.. and that applies to everyone

that's re-defining the meaning of an existing word.
There's the over-used "accident waiting to happen" which expresses a considerable degree of blame.

Use of "accident" whether "waiting to happen" or not does not in any way absolve blame.

Just out of interest, in your new meaning of accident which is now reduced I guess to "act of God" accidents only, what word is left to cover a blameworthy accident?

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
that's re-defining the meaning of an existing word.
There's the over-used "accident waiting to happen" which expresses a considerable degree of blame.

Use of "accident" whether "waiting to happen" or not does not in any way absolve blame.

Just out of interest, in your new meaning of accident which is now reduced I guess to "act of God" accidents only, what word is left to cover a blameworthy accident?

My view is much as yours, but the feeding frenzy wrt cyclist/car accidents is real.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
actofgod.jpg

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I'm sure the child knocked over and the parents would give a f*ck.
Basically you are a pavement cyclist and you think that sort of thing is OK. Well done.
Ah, you got me there. I've been found out as a pavement cycling kiddy murderer. As bad as Savile, perhaps?
article-2219550-158FBA69000005DC-377_306x423.jpg

Attachments

• article-2219550-158FBA69000005DC-377_306x423.jpg
    article-2219550-158FBA69000005DC-377_306x423.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 56

HOU5EY

This world seems to be going crazy if you ask me. People can no longer accept that accidents are going to happen. Oh no we must play the blame game instead and rant on about how much of a hooligan some guy is riding home. Its like you've never made a mistake in your life. It must feel great to sit on top of the world knowing how perfect you are and how every split decision you make is always going to be the right one. Well sadly that isn't true so as much as the guy in this scenario made a bad decision I'm afraid he won't be the only one. It's called life, we're all moving around trying to get places and sometimes human nature causes us to take our eye off the ball and yes if two people do it at the same time they may just bump into each other. Some people must think they can walk on water if they don't think they're ever going to make a mistake

HOU5EY

I ride on plenty of shared ped/bike paths during my travels. Through parks, beside the river and there have been a few times when I have nearly knocked into someone (small children included) because they or I haven't been paying enough attention. I've even ridden my bike on paths that I'm not supposed to. Accidents happen. This chap was reckless for sure, but it was an accidental collision. The kid was ok, a few grazes and bumps. I was sent flying by a bike when I was 11 because I walked through parked cars onto the pavement and a cyclist came flying up the inside. I was hurt but I didn't die and there were no lasting effects.

What we have here is a symptom of the "blame culture" which has infested our society and people feeling that they need to CCTV or film every moment of our lives. Plus the Daily Mail whipping normally sane people up into a frenzy.

Let it go, if there was no cctv no one would give a f*ck.

Could not agree more!

classic33

Leg End Member
Use radio antenna on the outside of the vehicle to pick up phone signal, bluetooth connection inside the car.

Should allow for hands free usage, while stopping people texting and facebooking while driving.

Problem solved.

Ericsson had just such a system, 15 years ago. Never caught on for some reason.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
This world seems to be going crazy if you ask me. People can no longer accept that accidents are going to happen. Oh no we must play the blame game instead and rant on about how much of a hooligan some guy is riding home. Its like you've never made a mistake in your life. It must feel great to sit on top of the world knowing how perfect you are and how every split decision you make is always going to be the right one. Well sadly that isn't true so as much as the guy in this scenario made a bad decision I'm afraid he won't be the only one. It's called life, we're all moving around trying to get places and sometimes human nature causes us to take our eye off the ball and yes if two people do it at the same time they may just bump into each other. Some people must think they can walk on water if they don't think they're ever going to make a mistake

The world hasn't gone crazy, you've just stayed sane.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Please remember all those who want a public lynching of this chap or for him to be "torn apart limb to limb" the Daily Mail has history and a massive anti-cycling agenda
http://road.cc/content/news/68530-d...r-petronella-wyatt-mother-hit-cyclists-column
The Mail (and other media outlets, including local news) are very selective with how much or how little information they attach to a "news" story.

Tin Pot

Guru

Which is the same attitude that lets drivers kill cyclists and get away with it.

The guy was riding fast on a pavement without keeping a proper lookout. He is going to be charged for sure. Pointless delving into semantics and throwing in Jimmy Saville in is not going to change anything. These are all irrelevant and steers the argument away from where it should be.

Whether he ran away, his father picked him up or he stood there apologising is best left to the Police to figure out.

I ride on pavement when there is a need. However if I hit a pedestrian let alone a child, shame on me. I certainly not going to tell the parents that accidents will happen. If I did, you have my approval to call me a moron and sock it to me.

That was The Times, and their figures were nonsense, they included motorway miles. No peds on motorways.

No it wasn't.......

... and there are pedestrians on motorways

Js52378542_1.jpg

m53.jpg

These two show the dangers faced by workers (also pedestrian) on motorways

Last edited:
But 65% of traffic volume was on motorways. You can't compare the two if 2/3 of the distance traveled by one group is on a motorway where pedestrian collisions are impossible.

There were 79 pedestrians killed or seriously injured (KSI) by bikes in urban areas in 2012, so that’s one KSI per 75 million miles walked.

By contrast, there were 4,679 pedestrian KSIs involving motor vehicles - one KSI per 1.25 million miles walked.

That means for every mile you walk, you are 60 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by a driver than a cyclist.

http://road.cc/content/news/109269-are-drivers-and-cyclists-just-dangerous-pedestrians

... and how much of that pedestrian activity was in areas where vehicles are not allowed...... these also need to be excluded surely?

After all the distance travelled by this group is in parks, footpaths and pedestrian areas where pedestrian / vehicle collisions are impossible.

Why are you not correcting for this factor?

Last edited:
Top Bottom