anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They shouldn't have to be aware of dangers on the pavement, but you, the adult responsible for them, should, especially given that a lot of pavements are right next to roads. It is not unheard of for drivers to lose control of their cars and mount the pavement, so don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because it is supposed to be for pedestrians only.
I've seen plenty quite cheerfully mount pavements while in full control of their vehicle, whether to park without blocking the carriageway, or to bypass queueing traffic to reach a turn or roundabout exit ahead of them, without all that tedious waiting in the flow of traffic.

The only person we know for sure has lied is the mum.

What did the mother lie about?

jarlrmai

Veteran
My girlfriend nearly had her feet ran over by someone mounting the pavement outside a shop, they just rolled up the kerb while we were walking past.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My girlfriend nearly had her feet ran over by someone mounting the pavement outside a shop, they just rolled up the kerb while we were walking past.
There's a belter at the Crewe Station roundabout.

As the traffic waiting to go straight on invariably queues across the left hand exit, less patient drivers will mount the (shared use) pavement at speed to take the first exit. It results in some interesting avoiding actions, as the cars/trucks (sometimes busses) usually occupy all of the space allotted to the cycle part of the path as they cross it.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
It was an accident. The parents took their eye off the kid for a few seconds. The chap on the bike made a mistake. The kid got a few grazes. No one died. The family are quids in. Can we put the corks back on the pitchforks now please?

No! it was not an accident!

Collisions between cars and bikes on the road are not accidents a point that is made vociferously on here whenever the press so report.

It was the result of a deliberate, illegal act by the cyclist who acted without any regard for the safety of pedestrians.

If the cyclist did just ride off, surely the CCTV would show that? Why was it cut short? That to me makes me believe the cyclists account of events after the incident rather than the mothers.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
No! it was not an accident!

Collisions between cars and bikes on the road are not accidents a point that is made vociferously on here whenever the press so report.

It was the result of a deliberate, illegal act by the cyclist who acted without any regard for the safety of pedestrians.

I ride on plenty of shared ped/bike paths during my travels. Through parks, beside the river and there have been a few times when I have nearly knocked into someone (small children included) because they or I haven't been paying enough attention. I've even ridden my bike on paths that I'm not supposed to. Accidents happen. This chap was reckless for sure, but it was an accidental collision. The kid was ok, a few grazes and bumps. I was sent flying by a bike when I was 11 because I walked through parked cars onto the pavement and a cyclist came flying up the inside. I was hurt but I didn't die and there were no lasting effects.

What we have here is a symptom of the "blame culture" which has infested our society and people feeling that they need to CCTV or film every moment of our lives. Plus the Daily Mail whipping normally sane people up into a frenzy.

Let it go, if there was no cctv no one would give a f*ck.

HOU5EY

You may well think that but if I was a parent that child would be the most precious thing in my life, I wouldn't be leaving it to chance that my little girl could run out of our front garden into a pavement alongside a busy road.

It's obviously the cyclists fault but I think the parents should have kept a better eye on her. I bet they do from now on.
If you were a parent of a child of roughly that age then you would know that it's not easy to stop their every move incase something bad happens. Kids are full of energy and sometimes it just goes unnoticed. These things can't be helped, I'm sure every single person on here injured themself as a kid and I bet hardly anyone blames their parents for it. This was an accident pure and simple

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
If you were a parent of a child of roughly that age then you would know that it's not easy to stop their every move incase something bad happens. Kids are full of energy and sometimes it just goes unnoticed. These things can't be helped, I'm sure every single person on here injured themself as a kid and I bet hardly anyone blames their parents for it. This was an accident pure and simple

It was not an accident is was the consequence of deliberate illegal behaviour.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
many accidents are caused by doing something stupid. Still an accident, and still blameworthy

Why, then, the feeding frenzy in here whenever a car- cyclist interaction is referred to in the press as an accident?

One rule for them.....

many accidents are caused by doing something stupid. Still an accident, and still blameworthy

Why, then, the feeding frenzy in here whenever a car- cyclist interaction is referred to in the press as an accident?

One rule for them.....

That was the big problem, and why many people accept death, injury and carnage on the roads, as no matter how culpable the participants it was a case of "It was an accident", and therefore we don't need to either learn from it or take responsibility for the actions leading up to the incident

An accident is "unexpected" or "unintentional"

If someone does something stupid then they shoukd "expect" something to go wrong and the use of the word "accident" is inappropriate

.. and that applies to everyone

Top Bottom