Anyone know this idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How very dare you drive straight ahead whilst I am illegally undertaking you in your blind spot?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
He knew they were there and just kept going. The lorry could have stopped till the cyclists had cleared from the inside. Yes it is a pain to have to wait but killing them is worse. I take it from his comments that the lorry driver is just sick of the cyclists.
If the truck had paused or waited until the IDIOT cyclists had cleared the danger zone there would have been another cyclist to fill that space!!! It isn't great, or ideal, or right, but the lorry driver has to assume that nobody will be stupid enough to throw themselves under his wheels. Think about it!

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 4868940, member: 45"]The driver hangs back for the bikes he can see, and then accelerates when he knows they're not going to collide. The idiot stays in his blind spot throughout.[/QUOTE]
Having watched it a few times I think you're correct. It also looks like the cyclist swings across to the right, that is into the path of the lorry, in order to exit the junction, as the lane he's in ceases to be.

vickster

Legendary Member
Having watched it a few times I think you're correct. It also looks like the cyclist swings across to the right, that is into the path of the lorry, in order to exit the junction, as the lane he's in ceases to be.
As he was in the wrong lane to go straight on

This junction seems purpose built to create conflict between cyclists, who are usually invited to filter down the left side of traffic to reach an ASL. So they find themselves, in this case, stranded in the left turning lane and have two choices ; race the first vehicle away from the lights or hold back. Most of us, and most of that group in the video have the kegs to outstrip a wagon away from the lights, and you can see the group split - with our protagonist, being tha last of the group, getting ahead of the wagon mementarily. But what he didn't allow for was a fast (unladen?) truck who proceeded to aim his nearside front wheel at a point a few inches off the kerb. He knew that there were cyclists because the handful raced off in front in clear view. But he chose to drive in such a way tgat any cyclist caught between the kerb and the truck would be taught a lesson. He damn well knew that the cyclist was there because he stopped and jumped out of his cab to berate him, so I don't fall for the suggestion that the cyclist was invisible to him. So yes the cyclist took a risk but he was out in front of the truck until it passed him and squeezed him over. The infrastructure is very poor, and puts people into conflict, but in my view the truck driver was out to prove a point. He failed in his duty of care.

Also. All this talk of blind spots. The road environment is full of cyclists. We think of cyclists being dropped into this environment with dangerous vehicles all around which they're supposed to beware of. We should be looking at it from another perspective. The urban environment is full of vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists. Dropping a 40 ton machine into this is madness. Particularly when the operator can't see out of the farking windows! Why do we put up with vehicles on our roads that possess blind spots? The truck driver is a cyclist hating nobber who knew very well what he was doing.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This junction seems purpose built to create conflict between cyclists, who are usually invited to filter down the left side of traffic to reach an ASL. So they find themselves, in this case, stranded in the left turning lane and have two choices ; race the first vehicle away from the lights or hold back. Most of us, and most of that group in the video have the kegs to outstrip a wagon away from the lights, and you can see the group split - with our protagonist, being tha last of the group, getting ahead of the wagon mementarily. But what he didn't allow for was a fast (unladen?) truck who proceeded to aim his nearside front wheel at a point a few inches off the kerb. He knew that there were cyclists because the handful raced off in front in clear view. But he chose to drive in such a way tgat any cyclist caught between the kerb and the truck would be taught a lesson. He damn well knew that the cyclist was there because he stopped and jumped out of his cab to berate him, so I don't fall for the suggestion that the cyclist was invisible to him. So yes the cyclist took a risk but he was out in front of the truck until it passed him and squeezed him over. The infrastructure is very poor, and puts people into conflict, but in my view the truck driver was out to prove a point. He failed in his duty of care.

Also. All this talk of blind spots. The road environment is full of cyclists. We think of cyclists being dropped into this environment with dangerous vehicles all around which they're supposed to beware of. We should be looking at it from another perspective. The urban environment is full of vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists. Dropping a 40 ton machine into this is madness. Particularly when the operator can't see out of the farking windows! Why do we put up with vehicles on our roads that possess blind spots? The truck driver is a cyclist hating nobber who knew very well what he was doing.
Errrrr, actually , that's complete crap. The cyclists put themselves in danger by recklessly ignoring the Highway Code. They also seem to have set aside any common sense about their own safety with their belief in their own entitlement. The herd's going to get thinned.

Simontm

Veteran
Sorry @mickle that's rot. I know that stretch very well. There's no invite to go in the left hand lane to get to an asl because there isn't one there. If these are regular commuters they know that and they wanted to get a march on the traffic by being in the wrong lane.
IMG_0348.PNG
As you can see the lane continues naturally so those cyclists can either scoot ahead or will have to hang back as it narrows and bends slightly leftwards down a slope.
They were in the wrong lane and some of them were in the lorry's blind side. We alll complain about driver behaviour, this was simply crap cyclist behaviour. And that idiot's excuse about London? Well I've had a visit to A&E and a written-off bike because of what is 'London behaviour' but because these aren't cars it's different?

Lonestar

Veteran
No cars in the left hand turn lane to add to the mix.Although I don't know it I don't like the look of the road layout.

Globalti

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4868625, member: 45"]As soon as cyclists start riding into danger zones while believing it's everyone else's responsibility to avoid them, we're in trouble.[/QUOTE]

They do it everywhere. Recently some muppet on here suggested I need to attend a speed awareness course when I wrote that cyclists swerve across in front of you dressed in black with no lights, daring you to hit them and forcing you to brake sharply or swerve to avoid them. As long as cyclists continue to flout the rules of the road, drivers will continue to hate us.

The idiot cyclist (one of about ten idiots) whines repeatedly: "Everybody does it.... it's London..."

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom