Anyone make their own tandoori?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've used Patak's and a couple of other jars but nothing compares to a proper restaurant meal, I know I'm not going get exactly the same due to not being able to generate the heat but the flavour is just nothing like.

If I marinade and the stock chicken pieces on a baking tray they end up soggy, so I tried sealing the outside by burning then in a hot frying pan, but never have I got anything near to the real thing.

Can it actually be done?

And for no particular reason here's a before and after of the best mixed grill I've ever had in Broughty Ferry.

IMG_20230124_203634.jpg

IMG_20230124_200342.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've used Patak's and a couple of other jars but nothing compares to a proper restaurant meal, I know I'm not going get exactly the same due to not being able to generate the heat but the flavour is just nothing like.

If I marinade and the stock chicken pieces on a baking tray they end up soggy, so I tried sealing the outside by burning then in a hot frying pan, but never have I got anything near to the real thing.

Can it actually be done?

And for no particular reason here's a before and after of the best mixed grill I've ever had in Broughty Ferry.

View attachment 694194

View attachment 694195

Yep, marinade the Chicken pieces in a DRY Tandoori Massala mix with some garlic and ginger and either lemon juice or yoghurt then after 5-6 hours put them in the grill (not in the oven) they'll need about 8 minutes a side but you need them to cook until they're just starting to 'catch' and char a bit on the corners...................never ever use these 'curry sauces' in jars though, they're shite

Learned from a Pakistani friend at uni:

A marinade of enough natural yoghurt to thoroughly coat the chicken. Plus about half a bulb of garlic and an equivalent chunk of root ginger minced / finely chopped, garam masala, turmeric, ground coriander seed, cumin, black onion seeds, smoked or hot paprika (for colour and flavour) plus dried chilli flakes and salt to taste.

Marinate the chicken overnight, and then into a very hot oven for about 30 mins or until chicken is done. This will depend on the cut. A spatchcocked whole chook will take longer than wings, that sort of stuff.

Note: whoops, forgot to mention the coriander and salt. :blush:

Last edited:

A marinade of enough natural yoghurt to thoroughly coat the chicken. Plus about half a bulb of garlic and an equivalent chunk of root ginger minced / finely chopped, garam masala, turmeric, ground coriander seed, cumin, black onion seeds, smoked or hot paprika (for colour and flavour) plus dried chilli flakes and salt to taste.

Marinate the chicken overnight, and then into a very hot oven for about 30 mins or until chicken is done. This will depend on the cut. A spatchcocked whole chook will take longer than wings, that sort of stuff.

Thats making me hungry!
Another good tip, score chicken legs deeply so they absorb all that lovely marinade :hungry:
1686506082955.png

My uncle was a top chef at a top hotel in a top Scandinavian country. It was so top that top Indian PM Indira Ghandi stayed there. She brought her own top chefs and her own top tandoori oven with her. It was a plain old oil barrel with some plain old mud stuck to the inside. Top or what?

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Yep, marinade the Chicken pieces in a DRY Tandoori Massala mix with some garlic and ginger and either lemon juice or yoghurt then after 5-6 hours put them in the grill (not in the oven) they'll need about 8 minutes a side but you need them to cook until they're just starting to 'catch' and char a bit on the corners...................never ever use these 'curry sauces' in jars though, they're shite

I like the sound of that, I'm on the real thing this week though. Our head office is in Leicester and there's a bloke retiring so we're off the Shimla Pinks near the train station.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member

Is there any special ratio to the ingredients, or do you just chuck in an equal amount of each?

Top Bottom