Anyone make their own tandoori?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there any special ratio to the ingredients, or do you just chuck in an equal amount of each?

Not really. I cook largely "by eye" and "by taste" so generally, if it tastes right, it *is* right. I'd guess about a teaspoon of each of the dry spices except for the hot paprika, chilli and salt.

Personally, I prefer smoked paprika to hot and I go easy on the chilli as I do like to taste what I eat.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I like the sound of that, I'm on the real thing this week though. Our head office is in Leicester and there's a bloke retiring so we're off the Shimla Pinks near the train station.

Don't know that one, I mainly cook my own these days, there are a couple of dodgy 'curry houses' in Leicester but some are really good. There is a place on Melton Rd called 'Bobby's' The food is vegetarian but you're likely to see Indian people in there eating.......a world famous place

Is there any special ratio to the ingredients, or do you just chuck in an equal amount of each?

I put about a table spoon of cumin powder, half tab spoon turmeric, teaspoon hotchilli powder, juice of 2 lemons loads of salt into yoghurt with red food dye. Then marinade chicken or lamb for 3 hours +. I'll also add a load of grated fresh ginger and garlic for a posh one.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A grill will replicate a tandoor oven better than a domestic oven. They get there char by being close to the clay sides which acts a bit like a grill. as suggested above pizza oven will also do well.

I wouldn't try sticking naan bread to the inside of your grill though! :okay:

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Grill or BBQ.
Many modern ovens (and maybe some air fryers), seem to run 'moister' - probably to improve efficiency. The more humidity in the oven, the more difficult to get that surface drying needed to create browning/charring and the flavour formation. So grill with the door open and you should get the desired effect - a bit of practice may be needed here!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I use a terracotta baking stone to do my naan bread... (and pitta bread)

Yes that a good shout, I have a pizza stone for my Cobb, which i sometimes use in the regular oven too. I done some quick flat bread (no yeast just yoghurt) in the frying pan, but for my pitta's the stone is a great idea. I'm also partial to a Flamme Kueche, which would also be good on the stone.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Don't know that one, I mainly cook my own these days, there are a couple of dodgy 'curry houses' in Leicester but some are really good. There is a place on Melton Rd called 'Bobby's' The food is vegetarian but you're likely to see Indian people in there eating.......a world famous place

Shimlas was a bit of a let down compared to when we last went there about eight years ago, there was an Indian family eating there though.

DogmaStu

My family grew up in South Africa and Durban in particular, home to the 2nd largest population of Indian's outside of India. My sister married an Indian-origin man and learnt from his Mom and sisters how to cook fantastic curry's. Her tandoori's are better than any restaurant I've been in.

She and her family are living here in the UK now and she gets her spices sent over from SA and India. Awesome flavours. Her husbands curries are hot though, he prepares a milder version for when I visit. ^_^

PK99

Legendary Member
............never ever use these 'curry sauces' in jars though, they're shite

Agree on the jarred cook-in sauces, even Patak's. But the jars of spice paste are a whole different ball game.

Many curry houses rely on Patak's catering-size jars of pastes:
https://westmill.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Pataks-Catering-Trade-Sheet1.pdf

The trick is to use the Jarred paste as a base but enhance it with extra fresh ingredients - just as the curry houses do!

For tandoori, marinate for 30 minutes in a simple mix of Ginger garlic paste and lemon juice (no salt, as the jarred pastes are over salty)

Then into a marinade of thick, full-fat greek Yoghurt and Patak's tandoori paste PLUS tablespoon of Curry powder of choice (I use Madras or a Garamasala), plus a tablespoon of Kastoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaf). Leave in fridge overnight or 6-8 hours

Crank oven or BBQ up to absolute maximum heat and cook - but not in or on any form of tray as you want to mimic the Tandoori - all round ferocious dry heat. BBQ indirect heat sitting on the grill bars, Oven skewered over a tray on the shelf below

Similar for tikka using Patack's Tikka paste enhanced with yogurt and Coleman's jarred mint

Top Bottom