Anyone on here a Train Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks, Paul.
To the left of the driver, normally, there is a clipboard location for him to pin his notes for the day / shift.

Is there a regulation or Code of Practice (Rule Book, Professional Driving Guide, etc) that defines what goes on here (what information) and how it is used? For example during driving, or only when stationary.

This is for the working diagram, the working of the train/trains for the drivers shift. It is not for what ever novel the driver may be reading at the present time. Differing classes of rolling stock may have a different clipboard, most will not have one at all. Early class 66 loco's don't have one at all, nor do classes 31, 33, 37, 47, 60 and the variations of, that is what the control desk or your pocket is for. You are allowed to read the notice whilst on the move as it is a company notice. Using mobile 'phones whilst on the move though is banned and will be treated as a gross misconduct charge. leading to a disciplinary charge and probable dismissal.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
1. Push lever....
2. Pull lever to stop at station.
3. Push again...
4. Stop when you see red buffers.
5. Open door and get out.
6. Walk to other end of train.
7. Get in.
8. Eat sandwiches.
9. Repeat 1-8 until time to go home....

Think there is a bit more to it than just that!!

[Apologies for being flippant to BrumJim and Paul.... back to being sensible...:thumbsup:]

Good good!!

Sara_H

Guru
One of my neighbours is a train driver. He used to regale us with tales of all the attempted suicides he'd managed to avoid hitting. The he actually did hit someone who jumped in fromt of his train and now he doesn't talk about it anymore.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Generally you don't manage to miss people, they either get out of the way, or the train hits them. I have had three, and a quite a few near misses

Sara_H

Guru
Generally you don't manage to miss people, they either get out of the way, or the train hits them. I have had three.
He managed to stop once because he'd just passed a signal but couldn't remember if it was red or not, so h'de slowed right down when he spotted someone crawling out of the grass by the side of the track.

Terrible buisness. I've nursed someone who was hit by a train.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It's a steam loco, it is a whistle.

Oh dear! oops

My apologies. In my defence I was a Ticket Inspector, not a driver, on the Severn Valley Railway.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
You might find a few London Underground drivers on here when they are not out on theit S-Works bikes or buying a new Rolex. I am sure they are crying into their beer lamenting their dear old RMT leader.

I bet you suffer from friction burns.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2993897, member: 9609"]may be he is wishing to learn the complexities of red and green lights and what it all means - train drivers are bound to know.[/QUOTE]

I wont mention yellows and double yellows yet then, don't want to confuse too much!! ^_^

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
1. Push lever....
2. Pull lever to stop at station.
3. Push again...
4. Stop when you see red buffers.
5. Open door and get out.
6. Walk to other end of train.
7. Get in.
8. Eat sandwiches.
9. Repeat 1-8 until time to go home....

My uncle [in-law] said when they stopped letting the driver set fire to things and blow whistles it got boring. [Mind you he used to say that he liked things to be repetitive.... days that weren't boring usually meant someone got more than slightly hurt, and then he couldn't sleep for weeks]

[Apologies for being flippant to BrumJim and Paul.... back to being sensible...:thumbsup:]

I've had a similar discussion with an airline pilot I know, you just select which airport you want and press the 'go' button.

Top Bottom