Anyone on here a Train Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Who knows what a DOLLY is then?

Probably....... Yes.
Yes, those signals on the ground next to the track. I always thought they were 'Theatre Signals' or lights.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Probably....... Yes.
Yes, those signals on the ground next to the track. I always thought they were 'Theatre Signals' or lights.
It was the general term for a "Shunt" signal, a white disc with a red band across--
Semabanshunt-onoff.gif

Paulus

Are those the same things as the lit versions you get on modern signals, or do they have a different name?
The modern colour light shunt signals are called position light colour signals. Some have two red lights and one white, some have two white lights as well.
28157339.png

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The modern colour light shunt signals are called position light colour signals. Some have two red lights and one white, some have two white lights as well.
28157339.png

I was meaning the indicator on top of a signal that consists of the white line that moves depending on what line is to be used, but anyway.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Hardly, bus driving is much more complicated, they have to turn that big wheel thing and press the 'go' and 'whoa' pedals.
..... And avoid crashing into that low bridge!!

Or avoiding people with poor driving skills, impatience, or alcoholism, while trying to keep a few passengers safe as well.

Paulus

I was meaning the indicator on top of a signal that consists of the white line that moves depending on what line is to be used, but anyway.

Do you mean Junction route indicators like these? Commonly known as feathers. 5 white lights. If 2 or more bulbs fail, the signal remains at Danger..

52px-Signal-routediverge2.jpg
52px-Signal-routediverge1.jpg

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I think that's the one he means and with a shunt signal they are most commonly found near a sidings or depot.......

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Do you mean Junction route indicators like these? Commonly known as feathers. 5 white lights. If 2 or more bulbs fail, the signal remains at Danger..

52px-Signal-routediverge2.jpg
52px-Signal-routediverge1.jpg

No, that's a feather, I already mentioned them!!

You see the red line in your illustration of a Dolly?? Its the modern electric signal equivalent of that..... The Secondary or Subsidiary Signal comprising of a white circle with a black line through it that moves depending on the route/right away, and is usually in a theatre type route indicator, only without the numbers.

Is that also a Dolly??

Curiously I can't find pictures of them but there is one at Hyndland Station a few miles away from me that controls a junction for example.

Last edited:

Paulus

No, that's a feather, I already mentioned them!!

You see the red line in your illustration of a Dolly?? Its the modern electric signal equivalent of that..... The Secondary or Subsidiary Signal comprising of a white circle with a black line through it that moves depending on the route/right away, and is usually in a theatre type route indicator, only without the numbers.

Is that also a Dolly??

Curiously I can't find pictures of them but there is one at Hyndland Station a few miles away from me that controls a junction for example.

You have me there, a picture would be nice. I am guessing, and this is where the specific route knowledge comes in, but could it be a banner repeater for a junction signal?

Top Bottom